PDA

View Full Version : Major Tyan boot emergency

dvornik
01-24-2003, 05:49 AM
Has anyone encountered boot problems with Tyan Thunder k7x s2468 and dual 2200+? They are killing me. On many different machines.

Most of the time they boot ok, but once in a while there are all sorts of BIOS issues. BIOS resets to default, slow boot with RAM count, processors detected as different type, power button doesn't work (just the lights and the fan come on), windows stops loading, mouse doesn't work etc...

I've tried several recent bios versions. Tried resetting RAM and changing the battery. Replugging the PS into the board resets everything back to normal temporarily.

Quadro4 750 xgl,
Soundblaster 128 PCI
firewire card
that's it

Another bizarre thing is that Quadros were not detected after Ghost and I had to reinstall the drivers.

singularity2006
01-24-2003, 06:05 AM
uh... i would never ghost a machine that i upgrade often... try a clean format... but okay, since u have BIOS issues, I'm not all too sure. Check the following:

Board is not grounded to anything
All peripherals have the correct master/slave/cable select jumper setting
Power Supply is able to support your power needs
CPU Temperature (die temperature) does not exceed 150*F (some might even say 120).

**MAKE SURE THE RAM IS NOT FAULTY. I find it often that my RAM is what kills everything .. -.-" TRy swapping w/ someone to test.

singularity2006
01-24-2003, 06:06 AM
oh yah, try using onlee one processor at a time in each processor slot to make sure one processor might be dead or faulty.

Sieb
01-24-2003, 06:10 AM
Hmm.. check AMDMB.com's forum, they got one for each manufacture and all problems seem to show up there. Perhaps someone in there can shed some light. But sounds like perhaps theres a short somewhere either with your PSU or with the mobo. If swapping in a different PSU doesn't work, the board might be bad or going bad. How old is it? How old is the PSU? Whats its wattage?

Or are these problems happening on multiple tyan machines? If its multiple machines, its multiple problems you will have to get detailed about.

dvornik
01-24-2003, 06:13 AM
It's the same set of problems on 15 identical brand new machines. It's random but consistent. The manufacturer was perplexed and they will take care of it of course but I don't want to send 15 machines back. I only realized the real scope of the problem tonight (had to reboot all of them about 100 times).

I ran Mushkin ram test, looks ok. Will try all other suggestions tomorrow morning. Was supposed to be my first day off in 2 weeks.

How do i determine if the board is grounded? Could static be an issue? Could you give some more details on that, cause I think we may have some static problems here.

GregHess
01-24-2003, 12:26 PM
dvornik,

It almost sounds power related. Did you do the chip upgrades yourself, or did they come with the 2200+'s already installed?

Its weird that it could be occuring to all systems at once. For Shits and giggles, try disabling the ethernet card, or its wake on lan features. Sometimes these can cause weird boot on issues.

dvornik
01-24-2003, 08:37 PM
It appears to be power related. The thing is it's random, so it takes time to test anything. It came assembled and no damage or displacement is visible. I'll try taking cards out and everything.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.