PDA

View Full Version : Displacement with motion blur

phonicsmonkey
08-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Created a character with Zb and my character subsequently has a displacement map creating most of its shape in XSI. Rigged it, animated it, no problem - now that I want to render it with some motion blur on, the motion blur doesnt show on the objects with displacement. Is this not possible or something?!

phonicsmonkey
08-14-2006, 07:17 PM
I didnt think it could be that displaced meshes couldnt be rendered with MB - made a simple scene with a displaced ball and the blur worked with it. I dont understand why my character isnt blurring at all, it seems totally illogical to me. Heres a pic of whats happening, as u can see the eyes are blurring fine, just the character himself isnt, GAAHHHHHHHHHH!
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/phonicsmonkeys/mannoblur.jpg

tuna
08-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Make sure "deformation motion blur" is checked on in the motion blur tab.

phonicsmonkey
08-15-2006, 07:30 AM
That did the trick, weird how I didnt need that with the test sphere i deformed with displacement - at least it's sorted now though. Thanks Tuna!

ThE_JacO
08-15-2006, 08:05 AM
it's not weird and it's got NOTHING to do with displacement.
MRay needs to be aware of what to compute motion blur on and what doesn't need any, for optimization purposes.

the way the amount of blur is determined is dependant on movement.

normally only the object's transformation is checked, which is why your sphere, for which you probably animated the position, was moblurring fine.

however, envelopes are vertex level deformers that leave the object's transformation matrix intact, which means a more expensive per vertex check needs to be run on the mesh.
that is exactly when moblur by deformation needs to be checked.

the difference between your sphere and your character is the way they are animated, not the displacement.

more about this can be found in the manual (as could be the info you needed insofar ;) )

phonicsmonkey
08-15-2006, 12:24 PM
ah i see, cheers for that Jaco. I was trawling through the online resource thing that comes with the software but couldnt find it, didnt get any paper manuals because i bought the educational version.

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2006, 12:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.