PDA

View Full Version : A:M Support in Wings 3d

pabitel
01-24-2003, 02:24 AM
I don't know if anyone's noticed this -- but Wings 3d has direct support for creating .mdl files. I don't think I ever seen any other application do this. I loaded a very complex .obj model and saved it as .mdl. It was incredibly fast. And the model opened flawlessly in A:M -- albeit at a very high patch count, which it to be expected.

gra4mac
01-24-2003, 03:16 AM
I gather some of you like to model in Wings and then import to A:M. I'd love to know why you would do this. Unfortunatly for us Mac users, that would mean a reboot from OSX for Wings to OS 9.2.2 for A:M. I'd have to have a good reason to do that.

Cheers, Graham

HellBorn
01-24-2003, 08:32 AM
Because Wings3D is a better and more stable modeller and animation master has better animation tools (Wings3D have none at the moment).

As simple as that ;)

gra4mac
01-24-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by pabitel
I don't know if anyone's noticed this -- but Wings 3d has direct support for creating .mdl files. I don't think I ever seen any other application do this. I loaded a very complex .obj model and saved it as .mdl. It was incredibly fast. And the model opened flawlessly in A:M -- albeit at a very high patch count, which it to be expected.

Am I missing something. I just had a look at Wings, but I don't see a .mdl option in the export menu. I'm using the Mac OSX version, but I imagine the versions are the same. Also, is there some quickstart tutorial info for Wings some where?

Cheers, Graham

pabitel
01-25-2003, 03:42 AM
I'm using 0.98.06o for Windows.

HellBorn
01-25-2003, 11:20 PM
Pre 0.98.06c it was a plugin.
From 0.98.06c it's included in Wings.

John Keates
01-27-2003, 12:18 PM
I would realy like to use this wings 3D thing. I downloaded it and ran it and it crashed - taking my PC down. Any help?

I am using win XP, 512meg, ATI 2700 pro.

Cheers for any help.

Vong
01-30-2003, 04:57 AM
Try this work around solution to getting Wings running... Go into Display Properties > Advanced > Troubleshoot and set the Hardware Acceleration to none. Apply those settings and see if you can run Wings now.

Apparently Wings has problems with certain ATI video cards, and no one's been able to put their finger on what the exact problem is. However, this work around has been known to at least allow you to run Wings... :hmm:

HellBorn
01-30-2003, 10:29 PM
Also on some ATI cards you wont see the vertexes. Selected or not. I think they lack some OpenGL feature.

John Keates
01-31-2003, 09:43 AM
Thanks! I will give this a go. Can't wait for them to sort out the ATI prob.

koon69
02-01-2003, 05:35 PM
If you modeled a car in Wings and exported as a mdl file - you could open the file in AM and edit the model with no problem? Wow that is so cool. Did anyone do this yet?

John Keates
02-01-2003, 08:01 PM
You can certainly import models from wings, but it doesn't allways get it right. The splines don't run allong the way that they should. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to program this as Hash patches can cause all sorts of conundrums for things such as the tips of fingers etc. I will only use wings for very angular objects such as buildings where the CPs are peaked. If only Hash implemented subd's if only for animation. Heres hoping.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.