PDA

View Full Version : Moving an emitter along hilly surface

Aikiman
08-14-2006, 07:38 AM
I'm trying to move an object along a terrain, this object is actually an emitter. It is being controlled by a locator above it to help it move in the x and z axis. I actually want the emitter to adhere to any bumpy terrain while at the same time move with the locator. I have the locator and emitter hooked up with a little help but now want to set this up as well.

I just had a thought that I could have a particle use the GoalU and GoalV and emit other particles but that means more coding which I dont know and a volume emitter may be easier to use while animating than trying to adjust coding.

Anyway does anyone have any idea on how to have an emitter stick to an objects surface as it is controlled by expressions?

cheers :)

NateH
08-14-2006, 08:18 AM
Ive used this for my visual effects class, just select you hilly geometry, then select your emitter and use Constraints->geometry constraint, then create a locator and use Constraint->point constraint->optionbox, then set it from all to just X and Z. The emitter will follow the locator along while staying stuck to the surface. Hope that helps.

Aikiman
08-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Hi Nate,

thanks man, that worked a treat! Definatley saves on writing expressions!

NateH
08-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Glad to be of assistance.

CGTalk Moderation
08-14-2006, 09:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.