PDA

View Full Version : Distributing along splines

gringer
08-14-2006, 08:36 AM
Hi everyone,

I am using 3dsMax 8.

I need to distribute many objects along a path. I know this is what the spacing tool can be used for, however, I need something a little different.

For this job I need to have variation on each object, specifically, I need the height of a tube, to vary per object. There will be several thousand of these tubes so it isn't practical to do it manually.

I've tried scatter, but I get bad results in that the scattered object is partially inside the distribution object. I've tried to remedy this to no avail. Also scatter cannot provide the functionality for varying the height per object.

I've tried using a displacement map, in many different ways..however due to the nature of bitmaps....when it displaces the height of the tubes, the vertices per tube are distorted instead of remaining planar at the effected end.... even when I tried a mosaic effect on the bitmap.

Ideally I would love it if someone knows a technique to do this within MAX or by using a downloadable script. But also, it would be fantastic if the resultant variation in the objects could be organic looking instead of stark contrasts in the height value.

Does anyone know if it is possible to wire a parameter to the height value of the tube in conjunction with a wave modifier or such?

Thanks for any input! :D

CGTalk Moderation
08-14-2006, 08:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.