PDA

View Full Version : Poser used as a human model?

Kitami
08-14-2006, 06:07 AM
I really do wish to learn anatomy and I have heard alot of diffrent things about what is right and not, however the thing that seems to be most popular to say is that the most important thing is to draw as much as possible, all the time and especially to draw from life. I do belive this, however I find it hard to find people willing to sit still, and I feel like I am being unfair by drawing people who doesnt approve.

Not long ago I read somewhere that the 3d program Poser was made for the purpose of people who wanted to draw... well, poses. So I figured that perhaps that would be a great place to start learning how to draw the human anatomy. To put the characters in poses and then draw from there.

To you proffesionals and experienced people I ask, would this be a recommended tool? yes? no? and if so.. why?

I realise I havent posted much here, but I have been surfing around in these threads for a rather good amount of time and I would really appriciate any help or comment :)

Rebeccak
08-14-2006, 07:43 AM
Kitami,

I think that the best ways to learn the figure are to, in order of importance:

1. Draw from life
2. Draw from Master Works
3. Draw from Photo Reference

The first 2 are best, but drawing from Reference, such as is done in the Open Figure Drawing Workshops, is also a good way to learn if you can't draw from life.

I would say that drawing from Poser models would not really make my list. With reference of real people available, Poser is a poor substitute, IMHO.

I really think that doing Master Copies is a much better way to learn. Hope this helps! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Kitami
08-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Hello RebeccaK!

Thank you alot for your reply. It was exactly what I was looking for, I will try to draw from life, probably most going to be pictures for a while though :)

Rebeccak
08-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Kitami,

No problem! :) Drawing from life is definitely best, if you have the time and access. :) But feel free to join the OFDWs.

I suggest subscribing to this thread to be notified of when New OFDWs open here on the forum:

Notification of New Open Figure Drawing Workshops / + TUTORIALS - SUBSCRIBE HERE! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=379951)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

slickgreekgeo
09-13-2006, 03:34 AM
I definitely agree with Rebecca, Poser is very poor in terms of reference, as it causes some pretty unnatural anatomy; I think it's decent for lightning purposes, however.

Kitami
09-13-2006, 03:41 AM
Yes I see your point now, been using human models from pictures instead.. :)

Ego
09-13-2006, 06:02 AM
Hello Kitami, in addition to the excellent advise above, may I also suggest the following:

1: Virtual Pose (http://www.virtualpose.net/) An excellent alternative to the Poser program. These are real live humans in excellent lighting and some classical poses. Just turn to your desired position and sketch away.
2. 3D.SK (http://www.female-anatomy-for-artist.com/) rules in terms of anatomically correct and nicely posed humans.
3. Sketchathon (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2837636#post2837636) is a thread here for quick timed sketches with other cgtalk artists.

Good luck!

Kitami
09-13-2006, 07:04 AM
Hey Queensoul, thanks alot for a nice suggestion. I reviewed your first two top links and I decided to suscribe to 3D.SK that will help me alot !

Maidith
10-15-2006, 05:22 PM
I've used Poser figures some time ago as references, and it was a disaster. The figures I painted with Poser reference looked horribly stiff and it wasn't any easier to get the anatomy correct. :scream:
As Rebecca already mentioned, I think you're best off with drawing from life. Reference photos are a good thing too, but sometimes they distort proportions and anatomy. Those distortions look natural in a photo so we don't see them, but in a painting, they'll be visible. Use reference whenever you need them, but also draw figures whenever you can, thousands and ten thousands of figures. :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-15-2006, 05:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.