PDA

View Full Version : CNN:PSP price cut might be imminent

RobertoOrtiz
08-14-2006, 03:04 AM
Quote:
" While the price of the PlayStation 3 may prove to be too high for some this holiday season, it's looking more and more likely that Sony will try to tempt consumers with a less expensive handheld gaming system.
As it prepares to launch its next generation machine, Sony is apparently stockpiling finished gaming hardware, which analysts believe to be the PSP (PlayStation Portable). That, they believe, is a signal that the company plans to reduce the price of the PSP as the holidays get closer.

"There is a price cut coming in the second half of the year," said P.J.McNealy of American Technology Research. "[The PSP] has lost momentum. Nintendo has had a great run since it launched the DS Lite and Sony needs to regain some ground.""

http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/11/commentary/column_gaming/index.htm?cnn=yes

baaah888
08-14-2006, 03:21 AM
About time, Ive only just bought a DS lite and I thought that was borderline pricy for a handheld (109 with new super mario bros). The PSP is far too expensive for what it is and how it will be used by people.

When they reduce the cost of them to 100 in the uk i'll finally get one until then its way overpriced considering its lack of top quality "handheld" style games, I dont want to play a ps2 port on a tiny screen thanks but no thanks sony....

Womball
08-14-2006, 03:23 AM
Yay! I hope they start making some more great games and improve the battery life. DS has a ton of great games and seem to have a lot more in the works. Right now I'm more likely to buy a DS lite than a PSP, I have the original DS.

thoughtlesswhisper
08-14-2006, 01:49 PM
looking good. sorry, im not biased towards nintendo, but i have to say i am becoming more anti sony. i have been since they kept the ps2 around for so long.

sony sit on their laurels way too much and do as little as possible to innovate. and if they do innovate, then they want to charge you through the nose for it.

psp was barely innovative, but with the expensive movies, terrible quality in the manufacture of the hardware, very small range of quality games, over sized and poorly designed button layout, terrible battery life, its just not worth it. the only thing worth it is the screen.

DS can be called truely innovative. i havent seen a dual screen, one with touch screen, one without used b4 for playing games?? have you?? and ontop of that, there are plenty of handheld good quality games, the battery life is fantastic, the button Ui layout is great, and the price point is fantastic.

no brainer really. sony are gonna have the same philosophy with ps3. high price no quality. xbox needs to lower theirprice to 220 on ps3 release to compete with thier 425. When people make the association that xbox is half the price of ps3 and plays exactly the same quality games (cross platform) then i truely see the demise of sony.

Its not that i want sony to fail, more that i want justice for the consumer. Sony rip u off in loads, and iv had enough. MS (at the moment) seem like they are truuely tryina to make a great affordable home entertainment experience. Granted this may change after they have market share, but thats when the consumer have to speak with their choices again and move somewhere else.

But at the moment, MS and nintendo have the biggest bank for the buck.

baaah888
08-14-2006, 02:01 PM
hmmm I dont think sony are intentionally ripping people off, they're making their consoles with high cost cutting edge components and dont want to make a huge loss on each machine.

Thats sonys problem, they'd be in a far better position if they developed their hardware earlier and released cheaper consoles that break even, then make money on the games....

At present every single person I know says "the PS3 is a total rip off apart from the fact it has a blu ray drive built in" but for a gamer, thats hardly a great reason to buy a console.

yinako
08-14-2006, 02:40 PM
The only way to save a PSP is by removing UMD and replace it with extensible 60G+ HD drive, its the best option, for people who want it for music and games.

madheavy
08-14-2006, 02:48 PM
The only way to save a PSP is by removing UMD and replace it with extensible 60G+ HD drive, its the best option, for people who want it for music and games.

Great Idea! Since most studios are abandoning the UMD, they need to do something.

But UMD games are not going anywhere soon. I would like to see a portable drive you can install in the PSP UMD slot, where you could record data on the UMD and play movies on it.

Apoclypse
08-14-2006, 02:52 PM
If it had a harddrive then it would be an ipod of sorts. Sony would be smart to go this route since, they pretty much dropped the ball on portable music players a while back. If the psp were to be made into a kind of all encompassing ipod (music, games, movies) with services to be able to download this content then they could have somthing that would transcend the whole handheld gaming thing and would become something else more like what the ipod is. Sony needs something like that at the moment. Though knowing sony they would probably screw it all up once it came to the user buying content. They would either over drm the thing or try some kind of lockin strategy to make sure you only buy from them.

sheppyboy2000
08-14-2006, 03:46 PM
A. looking good. sorry, im not biased towards nintendo, but i have to say i am becoming more anti sony. i have been since they kept the ps2 around for so long.

B. sony sit on their laurels way too much and do as little as possible to innovate. and if they do innovate, then they want to charge you through the nose for it.

C. psp was barely innovative, but with the expensive movies, terrible quality in the manufacture of the hardware, very small range of quality games, over sized and poorly designed button layout, terrible battery life, its just not worth it. the only thing worth it is the screen.

D. DS can be called truely innovative. i havent seen a dual screen, one with touch screen, one without used b4 for playing games?? have you?? and ontop of that, there are plenty of handheld good quality games, the battery life is fantastic, the button Ui layout is great, and the price point is fantastic.

E. no brainer really. sony are gonna have the same philosophy with ps3. high price no quality. xbox needs to lower theirprice to 220 on ps3 release to compete with thier 425. When people make the association that xbox is half the price of ps3 and plays exactly the same quality games (cross platform) then i truely see the demise of sony.

F. Its not that i want sony to fail, more that i want justice for the consumer. Sony rip u off in loads, and iv had enough. MS (at the moment) seem like they are truuely tryina to make a great affordable home entertainment experience. Granted this may change after they have market share, but thats when the consumer have to speak with their choices again and move somewhere else.

But at the moment, MS and nintendo have the biggest bank for the buck.

First off, before I Go off to respond, people seem to forget that, until DS Lite dropped, PSP was outselling DS in the US for at least six months according to NPD group. Not to mention, before the DS Lite, PSP was within 120,000 units of overtaking the DS Lite here in the states. Similar numbers exist in Europe. It is only in Japan where the PSP is getting beaten like a dog in a trailer park.

A. So let me get this straight, Sony is attempting to lengthen the generational timespan and this is a bad thing? Microsoft attempts to shorten it and it's a good thing? The casual gamers don't even buy consoles until around a couple years into the consoles life (usually waiting for the "sweet spot" of $200). Sony keeping the PS2 around is a real good thing. Sony continuing to offer great software support to the console even after PS3 drops is a good thing. Being a Nintendo and Microsoft fan, though, I can see how this idea is "new" and "frightening."

B. Where was Sony innovation expensive, exactly? Even the Pocketstation (which, incidently, paved the way for GC/GBA connectivity and VMUs) was $40. Nintendo innovation? E-Reader was $39.99, Rumble Packs were $29.99, and the Wavebird was $34.99. The only place Sony innovation could be considered expensive was EyeToy. But wait...... a game PLUS the cam? For the same price as your avergae PS2 game? Oh yes, much money raking in there.

C. Why does everything have to be innovative to be good? New Super Mario Brothers anyone? Expensive movies? I didn't buy a handheld console for movies. Besides, any chode knows about PSPvideo9 and converting DVDs for free. Terrible quality in manufacture of hardware? You know Nintendo is letting case cracks slide on DS Lite and the initial shipment had huge DP issues, right? Very small range of quality games? You realize PSP, on average, scores much better on ratings than DS games do, right? Don't believe me? Look it up for yourself on Gamerankings. PSP is smaller than DS and the button layout is very similar to Dual Shock 2. Terrible Battery Life? You can get between 4-8 hours of gameplay per charge with the standard bat, the larger one can go up to ten hours. And if those number suck you you, you've never had a laptop.

D. Do yourself a favor. Look up many FPS layout screens on Palm Pilot ports. Likewise, look at a large number of Palm Pilot games and you'll notice something fairly similar to what Nintendo DS does, just with snapping the screen in two. And like I said, PSP games, on average, score higher than DS games. Yes, there is a good quantity of quality DS games, but when PSP keeps getting a ton of games that are 80-90 and DS keeps dropping 50s or lower, your arguement falls apart. Battery life is about 10-12 hours per charge. Seriously, where is an extra 4 hours a make or break scenario? And the shoulder buttons STILL cramp my fingers.

E. You saw all those killer PS3 EXCLUSIVE games, right? 360 and PS3 may be comparable, but 360 will NEVER get MGS4, Heavenly Sword, Wipeout 5, Final Fantasy XIII, etc. You buy the console with the games you want (unless you're like me and plan to own all three) and you should not dismiss the PS3 exclusives. And incidently, PS3 hasn't even had a true coming out yet. You haven't touched a controller yet. You more than likely can't even see the difference between PS3 and 360. So how can you judge that it's "high price, low quality?"

F. Okay, this is where I have to laugh. Why? Because here was my Xbox 360 bill just to get started.

-Console -$399.99
-Two games -$119.98
-Extra Wireless controller -$49.99
-Two Charge N Play Kits -$39.98
-Warranty -$139.99
-Total -$749.93

Of course you could argue I didn't NEED a warranty, but considering I'm on my third Xbox 360, I could argue Unicorns are phalic steeds. Now that price is a little over PS3's price with not too much added. Consider for a moment, PS3 will have free online gameplay (confirmed), no rechargable versus AA fiasco, built in wireless, etc, and I don't see PS3 as a ripoff.

Hate to go so hard on you but I get rather tired of the same lame anti PSP statements regurgitated over the board, mainly by people who have never touched or even researched the system.

The price drop news, however, is good news. More people can enjoy the greatness of PSP.

Apoclypse
08-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Free online play you say. I'm so there.

Kaostick
08-14-2006, 05:18 PM

Yeah, its a great idea to ignore those 20 million or so PSPs that are already around the world, and scrap UMDs all together. If Sony was to do this, or even confirm that that was their plan further down the road, I would take my PSP, memory sticks, and dozen or so games down to EB in November, and trade it all in for a Wii. (unless they had a trade-in-your-old-UMD-PSP-and-get-a-new-hard-drive-PS program. :thumbsup: )

Neil
08-14-2006, 07:08 PM
A. So let me get this straight, Sony is attempting to lengthen the generational timespan and this is a bad thing? Microsoft attempts to shorten it and it's a good thing? The casual gamers don't even buy consoles until around a couple years into the consoles life (usually waiting for the "sweet spot" of $200). Sony keeping the PS2 around is a real good thing.

I agree. I don't care to buy a new consol every other year. It's already hard enough fitting 3 consols into the entertainment center.

sheppyboy2000
08-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Update: As of my lunch break..... I am now on my fourth Xbox 360....

I swear I need to put this warranty number on speed dial.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/sheppyboy2000/death.jpg

ParamountCell
08-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Reports are coming in that there may not be a price cut afterall, but then you cant always believe gamesradar. (http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/psp/game/news/article.jsp?sectionId=1006&articleId=20060814141023906090&releaseId=20060313144256984085)

CGTalk Moderation
08-14-2006, 09:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.