PDA

View Full Version : Beyond DirectX 10 - A glance at DirectX 10.1

RobertoOrtiz
08-14-2006, 02:58 AM
Quote:

"Beyond DirectX 10 - A glance at DirectX 10.1
Just by reading this article title, it may seem rather like we're getting ahead of ourselves here - After all, we still have another handful of DirectX 9 boards to come from ATI, never mind being a fair few months away from the launch of Windows Vista, and with it the latest iteration of the DirectX API, DirectX 10.

Nonetheless, despite all this, DirectX 10 is likely to see a number of point revisions during its lifespan and the first of these, imaginatively titled DirectX 10.1, will be the first of these. It may surprise some of you reading this, but the features which will be added by DirectX 10.1 have already been decided upon and information made available about them, so in this article we'll be taking a look through what we can expect to see in DirectX 10.1 compliant hardware.

I would imagine this goes without saying, but before tackling this article I'd well and truly recommend beginning by reading our look at what DirectX 10 has to offer in our article entitled "ATI on the possibilities of DirectX 10 (http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=69&Itemid=29)" to get yourself up to speed on everything that this major inflection point in 3D graphics rendering entails, from geometry shaders through to (more importantly for this article) the WDDM driver model. So, if you feel that you know all you need to know about DirectX 10, let's move onwards to the future world of DirectX 10.1.

"

>>LINK<< (http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=103&Itemid=29)

PyRoT
08-14-2006, 12:54 PM
The features appear to mainly involve improvements to performance and not really new technology of any sort. This is good as it won't tempt me to wait even longer for 10.1 cards. Anyone know when DX10 cards are coming out?

Tomek

daart
08-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Nvidias G80 is expected for October and ATI´s R600 for xmas time.

jcbray
08-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Arn't those the upcoming directX 9 cards the article refers to?

Tlock
08-14-2006, 08:36 PM
This is truely PATHETIC, MS hasn't even released Vista which introduces DirectX10 and now they are already talking about 10.1. Is it just me or did MS just screw things up with 10 that they already need to release an update.

That would be like saying they are already working on the next release of Vista when it hasn't even come out. DirectX 10.1 should be in 10.

daart
08-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Arn't those the upcoming directX 9 cards the article refers to?

No, this cards are both DX10.

mech7
08-14-2006, 11:11 PM
This is truely PATHETIC, MS hasn't even released Vista which introduces DirectX10 and now they are already talking about 10.1. Is it just me or did MS just screw things up with 10 that they already need to release an update.

That would be like saying they are already working on the next release of Vista when it hasn't even come out. DirectX 10.1 should be in 10.

As software development usually takes allot of time I would not be suprised if they are allready working on or atleast plaiing Direct X 11

I read funny news item the other day that open gl will be supported nativly in vista now but it will not be on the vista disk installed.. you need to download some stuff from the ati or nvidia.. and vista is supposed to run faster with open gl then direct x :p

jcbray
08-15-2006, 12:30 PM
The version after Vista is code-named Blackthorn (blackcomb?) I believe, as is almost certainly in the works, just like Maya 9 and Max 10 i'm sure were being planned before their release a few weeks ago.

Tlock
08-15-2006, 03:09 PM
I appreciate that development takes a long time but, technically version 10 isn't even released so how can you already be talking about updates, Vista is in RC then so should DirectX10 since their releases are tied together. A road map is a good idea, but this is pathetic. So now all the hardware manufatures who have started rolling out Video Cards will now have to release a new Card to support 10.1 give me a break, MS seems like they have a joint effort with hardware manufactures to sell more hardware. Clearly OpenGL has a brighter future whether or not MS likes it. DirectX is nothing more than a redundent piece of software that keeps MS busy from making Vista better. Now ppl will say well DirectX has this and that, but the reality is that MS could have easily extended OpenGL with an MSGL type Toolkit. This would have required less work/money and time, which would allow for more focus and growth in Vista. But that is MHO.

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2006, 03:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.