PDA

View Full Version : GI Help...

cjberg
08-13-2006, 06:35 PM
I am running into a GI anolmoly and wondering if someone has a suggestion to fix it. I have a tree which renders fine w/o GI and with GI and no bounces. When I add a bounce, "holes" appear in the geometry. I tried exporting different tesselations, and triangulated the geometry, but the hole still appeared.

GI (no bounce): http://homepage.mac.com/bergcj/whimsical_tree.jpg

GI (1 bounce): http://homepage.mac.com/bergcj/whimsical_tree_BAD.jpg
(enhanced to show holes)

Thank you for looking,

Cj

Igors
08-14-2006, 08:36 AM
I am running into a GI anolmoly and wondering if someone has a suggestion to fix it. I have a tree which renders fine w/o GI and with GI and no bounces. When I add a bounce, "holes" appear in the geometry. I tried exporting different tesselations, and triangulated the geometry, but the hole still appeared. Minimize your prj, archive and upload it

cjberg
08-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Hey Igors,

Thanks for taking a look.

Cj

kevmo
08-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Hello:

I had a look and got the same result, then I did a polygon outline, and it looks like some bad polygons, then I added a Dicer! object set with triangulate and it renders fine now.

k!

evant
08-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Hey Cj. If this was modeled in FormZ, you should definitely try using the Triangulate Tool and set it to "triangulate non-planar faces only" in the tool options. Then you would get minimal added geometry. This of course assumes you are modeling in facetted mode. If you are modeling in smooth mode, then you can first convert the smooth model to facetted.

Igors
08-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Hi, Charles

Looks like you are a victim of unlucky boolean - you've double-sided surface fragments, raytracers don't process them correctly. The attachment is the alpha channel, render with no GI, no lights, dissolve = 0.75 (clip tab)

cjberg
08-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Thank you Igors, looks like I need to remodel the whole thing, probably will avoid NURBS and use the old fashioned method. At least it is a simple shape

Cj

CGTalk Moderation
08-14-2006, 10:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.