PDA

View Full Version : The great bug hunt!

Wegg
01-23-2003, 08:58 PM
Hey there fellow A:M users. . . think your the only one with an un-stable computer? Wondering why the hell yours is the only system in the world that has problems using A:M? Well you have come to the right place!

This is the great A:M bug hunt!

Whenever your system crashes while you are using an A:M product that you paid for, take a screen shot, crop it and post it here with a short description of what you were doing when the crash happened and your system/platform specs.

I personally know a lot of work-a-rounds for 8.5 and I'm sure others with a lot more experience can help with later versions.

Yes you should also send this information to steve@hash.com but. . . well. . . we won't go there. . .

Anyway take this for what it is. . . and have fun.

---------------------------------------------
William Eggington -- http://www.eggington.net
---------------------------------------------

dfaris
01-23-2003, 09:57 PM
Amen brother.

But Wegg we might have a problem. Since lot and lots of people got the boot they might not use it anymore so you wont get any posts.

Natess44
01-23-2003, 10:12 PM
Well I'd post to it if I had v10b.

Hookflash
01-23-2003, 11:24 PM
I uninstalled A:M, and can't bring myself to reinstall. If you had made this thread a month ago, I would've had dozens of screenshots to post;)

no0ne
01-23-2003, 11:26 PM
oh c'mon :beer:

with users as active as you are
this bug hunt could turn out to be a safari :buttrock:

Natess44
01-23-2003, 11:40 PM
The only problem with win2k is if a program crashes, boy does it ever crash and you don't even get an error message. Sometimes it just freezes for a while. Here's a bug I get quite often when I'm modeling.

Version - 9.51e
System - win2k
Bug - After using the duplicator wizard for a farely complex model I used to render right after I used it. Most of the time AM would get to the part rendering..... and freeze but since I have win2k it was able to recover the program after about half an hour of "rendering...." It's hard to recreate but it seems to only happen on the more complex models.
Solution - I found that if you make a spline or select one before you render it doesn't freeze.

jaymackey
01-23-2003, 11:41 PM
Before I bother posting a screenshot, I'd like to know if and in what version this bug was fixed. I've heard rumors that it has been fixed at some point, but I've checked the bug-fix lists and I can't find a mention of it anywhere.

It is a case where the display of the Project tree becomes 'corrupted', and it is not possible to select certain items in the tree. The only workaround that I know of is to stop A:M and re-start it.

(I know, I know... my real mistake was the step where I "restarted A:M". :wip: )

Wegg
01-24-2003, 12:13 AM
This used to happen to me years ago on the mac. Try closing the top tree in the Project Workspace and re-opening it.

gra4mac
01-24-2003, 12:44 AM
This happens to me in v9.x, doesn't happen in 8.5 or 10b6 so far. The fix that works for me is to go to the model in an open window, and click on anything in that model. This opens the model hierarchy in the PWS. I use a Mac OS 9.2.2

Cheers, Graham

jaymackey
01-24-2003, 03:29 AM
Addendum: The last version that I know this occured in regularly was Windows 9.51b. I haven't done enough in v9.51e to say that it is present or not.

Raist3d
01-24-2003, 08:55 AM
And pure Evil.. this is Evil I tell you, EEEEVIL!

hehe :-)

- Raist
:scream: :shame:

Drakkheim
01-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by jaymackey
Addendum: The last version that I know this occured in regularly was Windows 9.51b. I haven't done enough in v9.51e to say that it is present or not.

Happens all the time to me when importing materials. in 951.e

-drakk

Skevos_Mavros
01-24-2003, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread.

Are you asking people to post work-arounds to well known bugs present in certain "final" or popular AM versions? If so, then all well and dandy. Good idea in fact -- a database of work arounds to "final" versions of AM could be very useful.

If you're asking people to post bugs (or other issues or shortcomings or removed/changed features etc) with the latest AM v10x version and ask if others have work arounds or advice or even just similar experiences (no one likes to think they are alone with a bug), also well and dandy. Though less useful since as v10 goes through it's growth the points raised will become obsolete (I hope!).

But if you're asking people just to post bugs here as some way of "shaming" Hash into fixing them more quickly then I don't get it - you think this will work? You think this is productive?

I have a few issues recently reported to Hash at the moment regarding v10b&c, most of which have no obvious work arounds (none are serious - yet). Each report from me got an acknowledgement from Steve (as always), and time will tell if the fixes arrive sooner or later. What will I or anyone else gain from posting them (and all the project files, screen grabs, animations) here? A bunch of "me too!" posts?

I'm going to check this cgtalk forum regularly for a month or so, to see if it takes off as a useful addition to the AM "community". It's too soon to tell...

Natess44
01-24-2003, 04:33 PM
Nope we're just trying to find some bugs and if it's the newest version of A:M or not, this information will be helpful.

no0ne
01-24-2003, 04:35 PM
don't think this thread has been opened to tease hash
it's just there to give people a work-around or something

:wavey:

oops (; gotta get faster:bounce:

Dearmad
01-24-2003, 05:49 PM
Skevos,

Sorry mate, but you're talking too much like a consumer for my taste. If you don't like this forum, then *change* it by shaping it yourself. That's the point of this forum. To sort of backhandedly threaten to leave if it doesn't turn out to be what *you* want seems a little poorly thought out.

Contribute where you can. Ignore the threads you find stupid (another advantage over the email list system). Rant when you get frustrated to relieve the pressure behind your weary eyes, and then go back to working on your projects a happier boy.:bounce:

But boycott a forum where free speech is tolerated, noise is easy to filter out, images can be tied to messages easily (and not hosted at some crappy 90k/day bandwidth web host as so many people on "the list" do), and *you* decide the tone of things yourself? I don't get it....:hmm:

Dearmad
01-24-2003, 06:05 PM
1) Drop to desktop with context menu r-click call.

Situation:
Often, but not always, after copy/pasting a section of splines (say the left arm), AM will crash just as I right-click to call up the menu for flipping over axis.

My workaround as has been a habitual save prior to risking my work.

2) Lock-up during soft body simulation:

Situation:
When doing a dynamic soft-body simulation, I can *sometimes* expect a crash if I simulate the system by right clicking on the Choreography and hitting simulate- the computer will freeze.

Workaround:
I have yet to get any crashing when I right-click on the spring/mass-cloth system embedded in the Choreography part of the PWS. In other words, I will call up the simulations one at a time via an r-click on the system rather than all at once via right clicking on Chor. So far, works every time.

3) Lock-up during simulation continued:

Situation:
When I lower the error threshold (tolerance) to 0 in a cloth simulation, *if* I have a perfectly aligned model (the control points are all of the same value along some axis, like a flag hanging perfectly vertically) then the software seems unable to resolve the math involved and will lock up.

Workaround:
Simple. Set the error reduction to a more reasonable value- the cloth will most likely still move with some appearence of reality.

4) Lock-up during render

Situation:
After cancelling out a render (either still sequence or encoded video) if I *immediately* begin another render (maybe changing some of the selections in the render options) I can expect a freeze in the render process; might be a memory allocation issue?

Workaround:
Close out the render menu. Access any other system (PWS, Chor Window, anything) Escape out. Call up the render menu again before rendering. Have yet to crash this way.

5) Loading up rotoscopes appear as white images without content.

Situation:
This one has haunted me since v6 of this software, from Voodoo Banshee cards, to my current GFti4400 and all the dirvers in-between. I hate it when it happens.

Workaround:
This has *yet* to occur to me when using the D3D v6 real-time renderer, it only occurs with me with the OpenGL real-time renderer. Since both are about the speed for me, I've switched out which one I use. I *have* noticed the D3D way is a little sloppier in it's presentation of the CP's hidden behind patch surfaces in shaded modes, but I've adapted.

That's enough for now... more later, assuming this is the sort of stuff people find appropriate to this thread.

I think the moderators should open a non-post thread that only they can post to and move the helpful posts from this thread into there. This could be our input thread, and the other (less noise in it) thread could be the reference.

:wavey:

jaymackey
01-24-2003, 06:06 PM
Ahhhh, yes, it does happen a lot with importing materials, and it's still in 9.51e. As I said, I've read all the bug-fix reports for all of the v10 betas and patches, and I didn't see a fix for this listed. Is it still present in v10?

This bug is almost as bad as a fatal crash, you just don't lose any of your work. You still have to stop and start A:M if you want to keep working on the material, as far as I know. Is there a way to correct the problem without re-starting? Thanks.

Skevos, I think that shaming Hash is impossible, and that is not the goal of this thread. The goal was actually stated in the opening post. If I understand everything Dearmad said above, I think I agree with him completely. For those of us that still use 9.51e, there are some legitimate reasons for discussing bugs with this version, despite what Hash and Steve might think. Especially, if they have no plans to fix the existing ones in 9.51e. Ohh, if only Hash could be shamed into fixing 9.51e!

dfaris
01-24-2003, 07:25 PM
Here is one for you, this is what happened after I click on AM to start it up. Anyone have a work around for starting AM?

Am 9.5

Wegg
01-24-2003, 07:59 PM
What happens when you hold down shift as AM starts up. . .

dfaris
01-24-2003, 08:07 PM
Wegg whats up with KDX?

Same thing happens when I hold down the shift key.

its ok I'm just trying to export some models to OBJ so I can
convert to a different program.

Dearmad
01-24-2003, 08:21 PM
You got a legit CD in the drive? I get that message sometimes if my CD doesn't read as legit (it's dirty, or mounted badly, etc.)

dfaris
01-24-2003, 08:27 PM
LOl yeah its ok. I know it is because 9.0 starts fine.

I gues its one of those things. I will restart the machine and it will work ok if I dont run anything before I start AM.

jayrtfm
01-24-2003, 08:30 PM
This is a pet peeve of mine. Most companies do not keep an accesable list of bugs that's been reported to tech support

Open source projects on SourceForge.com have a section for viewing and reporting bugs

High end companies like Veritas will email users when a new bug is discovered.

IMHO, Having a user accessable list of "issues" is the most important thing a software company can do to support its users, based on a very old concept/invention.

Before written language was invented, knowledge had to be passed around by a bunch of people sitting round a campfire. So if Mr.Oog dicovers that spearing a mamoth in the butt just will make it mad, not dinner, anyone who wasen't part of the inner circle when mamoth spearing was discussed may waste lots of time with fruitless butt spearing.

Now, if Mr. Oog paints a picture on a cave wall showing the problems that happen with mamoth butt spearing, then when a newbie mamoth hunter joins the tribe, he can RTFCW* and see what to avoid doing on the hunt. If he discovers that the 1/4 diameter spear that worked on rabbits is incompatible with mammoths, and must be upgraded to the 1 inch version, he can add that to the Cave Wall.
So, when another newbie joins the hunters, he won't spend days trying to use a 1/4 spear on a mamoth's butt
If new discoveries of things that don't work when hunting aren't documented on the CW, then a newbie may spend a week trying to use a club for the hunt. He'd be pretty pissed when talking about it by the campfire, Mr. Sapsucker says "yeh, Oog told me last year that clubs don't work, but I didn't put it on the Cave Wall. By the way, would you like to buy my new "Club with Rock on Top"? I used it when I made this deerskin blanket, it should be good for all your hunting needs."

Hopefully, this made my point that if hunters errr, users can look at an issues list, then lots of time and frustration would be saved by not trying to make a known to be broken feature work.

*Read The Freaking Cave Wall

jayrtfm
01-24-2003, 08:43 PM
Dear DearMad,

Since there's times when I need to access more than one CD at once, and need to test how some programs I write work off a CD, I use CD Space 4.
http://en.cdspace.com/e_htm/e_home.asp

Since with this program AM resides on my hard drive as a virtual CD, I don't need to keep a physical disk mounted in my drive.

l8tr, Jay_K.

John Keates
01-24-2003, 09:31 PM
I aggree that we need a decent list of known bugs. It is Hash's job to supply this. Asking everyone to be a lone bug squisher is fantastically inefficient. I once posted such a suggestion on the mailing list but it somehow never made it on there (well I never saw it anyway).

I may give it another go later. I wander if it is a sackable offence?

Wegg
01-24-2003, 09:38 PM
If you openly post a repeatable bug here in this forum. I'll bet you. . . a while dollar. . . that it will be fixed within a week.

This is a PUBLIC place. You will get their attention.

Dearmad
01-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Jay,

I didn't want to waste the HD space with images- I just made myself copies of the CD so I have a backup. I run it off the copy and keep my original CD tucked safely away.

John Keates
01-24-2003, 11:05 PM
Ok, Here are one or two things that have been realy bugging me for a good few months (off the top of my head).

Rigging....

1. I want to be able to orient a bone like a null and then animate its offset. I could do this in 8.5 and it was very handy. I use it for toes. I have a model that I made in 8.5 where this works. I can bring it into 10 and animate that toe without rotating the null that it follows (the heel null is a child of it and I don't allways want it rotating with the toe). Maybe this is a stupid rig, but it seems more stupid not to fix such a little thing. It is doubly annoying because I can see the offset channels moving in the timeline but the toe isn't moving.

2. I would like to be able to store "lock IK" information in a pose and be able to turn it on and off in an action. I can make the pose and turn it on but then it wont turn off again.

Moddeling...

1. Stitch is great, but it doesn't work all of the time. About one in 10 times it will move the CP in hand over to another cp and connect it there. This is annoying enough but of course undo doesn't do the job here.

2. When building a model, I often find that newly created splines appear to have Gamma or Alpha set. Then I click on a CP and it resets to normal. A minor thing but irritating and a waste of my time.

Chor...

1. I have had information just dissapear! A model or channel information goes. Maybe linked to problems that I had in an earlier version where projects would crash as I saved them (an unforgivable type of crash).

2. I have turbulence set on a volumetric light. Each time I load the project, another instance of it appears. This makes for a slow render with funny volometrics. I have to delete the turb. each time I load.

Misc...

1. I want to have a whole load of objects (tendrils) aiming at a null so the null controlls those objects.
If I try importing a tendril lots of times into a model, its smartskins dissapear.
If I try importing them as action objects... well that is another story.
If I try making the relationships in a chor (what I though to be a fail-safe method), they are gone when I load the project.

I could go on but I have a voice in my head saying "are you getting paid for this? Get a life you boring b*****d".

It is possible that the above are all my fault, but I rarely get a reply from hash and cannot talk about this stuff on the list. Plus they blatantly are not my fault.

Lets keep them coming. It may be boring but Hash might start reading this stuff so we don't have to waste our time indevidually sending it in.

PJC
01-24-2003, 11:26 PM
I think this is a good idea. I personally still use 8.5p++ and have some workarounds and known things that freak out.

Should we break this up into different topics for each version? 8, 9, 10.

I'd love to know what is the scoop on 9.5, as I am still trying to do some work in it.

Anybody know if black specks in renders was fixed in 9.5?

- patrick j. clarke

bugzilla
01-24-2003, 11:27 PM
I'm using 9.5 and it crashes instantly when I try and rename any path object. It would be great to have descriptive names for these paths, but I'm stuck until my v10 upgrade comes which I hope will fix it.

PJC
01-24-2003, 11:30 PM
just tried it in 9.51e and it worked fine. Do you have something constrained to to when you rename?

- pjc

Natess44
01-25-2003, 02:54 AM
I think that at least half of the people on this list either don't have A:M any more or they don't have the latest version and if we are going to send Hash this bug list we need to have it up to date. So what I think we should do is compile a list of bugs that v8.5 and v9.5 have and then ask those that have v10(latest version) to test the bugs out to see if they are still there.

Dearmad
01-25-2003, 03:18 AM
Sounds good. I've started.

Hookflash
01-25-2003, 03:35 AM
Nates44: Exactly... I uninstalled A:M during the 10.0 betas, and, frankly, I don't feel like installing it again until people start raving about the vastly improved stability (iow, possibly never;)).

Kricket
01-25-2003, 03:50 AM
If a glowing object is clipped off the side of the choreography the glow fades down and creates an ugly bar. You'd think the glow would extend all the way to the edge.

http://demented3d.com/glow.jpg

When you lower toon line bias to get more lines you get hideously awful smudges. So you have to crank up the bias to at least 30 to get rid of this, but with fewer lines certain details (like noses and lips) disappear. The pic below has a bias of 15 on the legs. Default is 20, that creates smudges too but I lowered it so they'd show up better.

http://demented3d.com/smudge.jpg

Both these pics taken with v10c.

Natess44
01-25-2003, 05:39 AM
One bug that keeps on bugging me is a partical error. When I alter the partical's color change ( animated color changes) in the material viewer then go directly to the choreography mode and render the particals on a model A:M freezes.

Win2k

Skevos_Mavros
01-25-2003, 07:42 AM
Hi again,

Dearmad said:
Skevos,
Sorry mate, but you're talking too much like a consumer for my taste.

I struggled very hard to figure out what you mean by this, and all I can come up with is that you're suggesting that it's OK to read and post here, but not to complain? Leaving aside the fact that I don't think my previous post was complaining, doesn't this approach seem a bit inconsistent? It's OK to rant about AM (agreed), but not okay to merely question the purpose of a thread?
If you don't like this forum, then *change* it by shaping it yourself.
Isn't that what my post was doing? By seeking clarification on the purpose of ONE thread (not the whole forum)? Given the anything-goes nature of this forum, I'm surprised to see a "veteran" react this way.
That's the point of this forum.
Agreed.
To sort of backhandedly threaten to leave if it doesn't turn out to be what *you* want seems a little poorly thought out.
How was it backhanded? Seemed a pretty up front statement of intent to me. How was it a threat? You give me too much power! What can I do to this forum? So one person (me) is going to give this forum a month to prove itself. Big deal. Would you rather we all uncritically accept this forum without complaint?
Sounds like the rules of another AM place... ;)

Contribute where you can. Ignore the threads you find stupid (another advantage over the email list system).
I think this is where we really disagree. You say I should ignore threads I find stupid (I haven't found any such threads yet, including this one). I say that questioning the purpose of a thread perfectly OK. Time will tell which is the best approach I guess. Assuming I stick around... (grin)
Rant when you get frustrated to relieve the pressure behind your weary eyes, and then go back to working on your projects a happier boy.:bounce:
As long as I don't rant against the forum? :) Let's not forget that I saw a lot of merit in this thread and said so, it was only one out of three possible outcomes that I expressed some skepticism on - maybe you should reread my post. Maybe I should add more smilies to my posts! :) (though there appear to be limits on how many I can use)

But boycott a forum
Boycott? A one man boycott? This bothers you?!? Are you trying to flatter me? :)
where free speech is tolerated,
As long as I don't question a thread's purpose... riiigghhhttt.... ;)
Feel free to point out the error in anything I've said Dearmad, just don't tell me I can't say it! Unless there are rules here I'm unaware of.
noise is easy to filter out, images can be tied to messages easily (and not hosted at some crappy 90k/day bandwidth web host as so many people on "the list" do)
A big, BIG advantage of this place. Mind you, 30k isn't that large, but I understand why there are limits. It's great that "newbies" have a place to post small WIP images without the hassle of uploading to a web page and all that. I was new to FTP and HTML once, I remember what it was like...
, and *you* decide the tone of things yourself? I don't get it....:hmm:
We can agree on that! ;) (joke) I think you read my whole post but only replied to one paragraph in it! Most of my post was saying that most aspects of this thread are a good idea!
Dearmad also said:
I think the moderators should open a non-post thread that only they can post to and move the helpful posts from this thread into there. This could be our input thread, and the other (less noise in it) thread could be the reference.[/B]
Great idea. A sticky thread called "AM vX.XX Work Arounds and Known Bugs" or similar. A quick place to go if someone discovers a bug and wants to find out if they are alone or if others share their pain or, better still, know a way around it. I agreed with this idea in my previous post...

BTW, I still experience your OpenGL woes in v9.Xx and v10x, but my video card (Matrox G400) is well known as having OpenGL issues in a window (as opposed to fullscreen). So I've always assumed it was my card.

Skevos_Mavros
01-25-2003, 08:01 AM
Hi again,
Originally posted by jaymackey
SNIP
This bug is almost as bad as a fatal crash, you just don't lose any of your work. You still have to stop and start A:M if you want to keep working on the material, as far as I know. Is there a way to correct the problem without re-starting? Thanks.
On my system, yes. Just click on the topmost +/- symbol, to close the whole tree. Then open it again. All works well then. If you can't SEE the top most +/- symbol, just click where you know it should be! Works for me. Another approach is to keep the list in the PWS longer than the visible PWS, so that you have a scroll bar. Scrolling can "refresh" this error away.

As always with any work around - your mileage may vary! :-)

Skevos, I think that shaming Hash is impossible,
Heh - that's not quite what I meant - I was suggesting that shaming them was not productive, not that they are shameless! :)
and that is not the goal of this thread. The goal was actually stated in the opening post.
I found it unclear - maybe that's me.
If I understand everything Dearmad said above, I think I agree with him completely.
Fair enough. See my reply to Dearmad.
For those of us that still use 9.51e, there are some legitimate reasons for discussing bugs with this version, despite what Hash and Steve might think. Especially, if they have no plans to fix the existing ones in 9.51e.
Agreed - I said as much in my original post to this thread. That paragraph near the end of my post seems to have captured people's attention without the earlier parts of it doing the same. Ah well! :-)
Ohh, if only Hash could be shamed into fixing 9.51e!
I've actually submitted a minor feature request to hash for v9.51e (allow it to load with the 2003 CD in the drive, that way swapping back and forth from v9.51e to v10x is a lot less painful). But I can see why Hash don't want to make changes to v9.51e, I guess. The subscription model, combined with the many online releases, is an unusual approach to software, and it took a while to get used to. Coming from LW, where patches were few and far between, it was refreshing - warts and all.

Then again, I'm a hobby 3D animator (though AM has paid for itself many times over thanks to a few small corporate animations), so my demands might be different to others.

Skevos_Mavros
01-25-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by weggingt
If you openly post a repeatable bug here in this forum. I'll bet you. . . a while dollar. . . that it will be fixed within a week.
This is a PUBLIC place. You will get their attention.
I want to believe you. But I don't. Yet.

In my experience artists don't respond well to that kind of pressure/attention/feedback (yes, programmers are artists IMHO). Remember, Hash doesn't have a marketing department (customer-arse-licking-department) as far as I know. We're essentially dealing directly with the artists themselves. There are many advantages to dealing directly with the artists. And a few down sides.

BEGIN SLIGHTLY FLAWED ANALOGY:
Ever bought an art work direct from the artist rather than through a gallery? Sometimes it's a great experience. Other times they tell you to GET OUT because they don't like something you said about their art, or because your shoes are an unlucky colour. A gallery would almost never do that. But artists? Well. Accusing an artist of being arrogant is like accusing the sun of being hot! How many talented artists are famous for being great listeners? How many are famous for their great dealings with the public? And the more talented the artist, the more prickly they can seem sometimes. And the Hash guys are very, very talented! ;)
END OF SLIGHTLY FLAWED ANALOGY

Maybe I deal with too many arty types in my life, so this sort of reaction (both Martin's in his email and the ones here) is just like water off a duck's back to me. (shrugs) Maybe I'm just hard to piss off... :) On the other hand, I've NEVER seen Steve get shirty, either privately or on the list.

But I have an open mind and I'm willing to wait and see if you're right. I really like the CGTalk forum - the ability to post images in messages is reason enough for it to exist. All the other stuff (freedom of speech, venting, etc) is gravy. :)

JoeW
01-25-2003, 05:02 PM
It's not so much that SDS are "better" for modeling, it's the fact that they give a much more pleasant rendered result. With Sub-D's you can concentrate on shape and not smoothness. I'm a much faster modeler in AM than I am in LW, but I spend the time saved in AM trying to get smooth surfaces.

The problem with splines is in the way they are sampled in the renderer. If normals are sampled too frequently, you get creasing. If you take a SDS model out of LW and crank the sampling up in the renderer to something like 12, you'll get creasing just like AM.

Avalanche has taken AM models into Maya with a proprietary importer, and they look great when rendered, so I know it's possible.

Joe Williamsen

Raist3d
01-25-2003, 10:39 PM
BTw, I still need to reply to your other e-mails but here a crash goes:

1. Boot up A:M
1.5 Verify your undo level is set to 20 which is the A:M default when you
install it I think
2. Do a simple line (that is two control poitns). It should be a line.. it
can be anywhere on the modelling screen.
3. Select the whole line (click on a dot then / or just select the whole
thing) and 2nd mouse button click-> plug-ins-> wizards-> duplicator

4. Leave all values at their default except: change repeat to 50 and
rotate on the X axis to 5. Make sure "extrude" is clicked... like this:

http://members.cox.net/raisth/AM/bugs/undoDuplicator/Image2.png

5. See the results
6. Press and hold ctrl+Z (i.e. UNDO) until undo goes as back as it can
(it's set to 20).
You should see a bunch of lines that are no longer linked as if extruded
and some will be gone. Like this:

http://members.cox.net/raisth/AM/bugs/undoDuplicator/Image3.png

7. Select the last line in the whole sequence (just like step #2).
8. now do the same duplicator / wizard thing with the same parameters
except increase the count now to 720 instead of 50. Like this:

http://members.cox.net/raisth/AM/bugs/undoDuplicator/Image4.png

9. AM shuts down. I see this:

http://members.cox.net/raisth/AM/bugs/undoDuplicator/Image5.png

Frequency: 100%

:thumbsdow :scream: :shame:

Raist3d
01-25-2003, 10:40 PM
It's AM 9.51e... Would be nice to see if someone sees this in version 10c...

I guess it's time for me to change my video card... oops.. I am on a Toshiba laptop with a geforce 4 mx so I must be out of luck:D

Raist3d
01-25-2003, 10:44 PM
Had once instance where it worked. Tried it again and crashed immediately upon selecting one of the CP's after UNDOing.

Seemed the faster you UNDO the more unstable it gets.

You know UNDO for me has been broken since version 7.xx ... will UNDO ever be fixed?

< dramatic soap opera music >

Natess44
01-26-2003, 12:30 AM
If you constrain the camera to an object you can roll it on the z axis. but if you go to say frame 300 and try to rotate, the numbers move then they jump around and nothing happeneds. It doesn't roll.

Has anyone seen this on v10c?

marcopio
01-26-2003, 04:14 PM
Below find 3 ways to make A:M Dissapear without warning. I have reported to Hash in the past and this is their response, very unacceptable.

< Answer from Hash support below>

This might be video card related- have you updated your video card drivers-
I was able to repeat the first example once, but not again, this is not enough for us to use unfortunately-
I suggest not using perspective mode, and never click the render icon, then not use it without hitting <esc> to cancel the operation-

< -- steps to reproduce problem

Below are the exact steps I did to reproduce error in 9.51e with same results, on the last step when I right clicked on the Path I just created, A:M just dissapeared and closed without warning.

1. Create a line with about 10 points, then Revolve (Shape of Wine Glass)
2. Create bones and assign bones.
3. Create New Simple Action of 00:02:00 long.
4. Create a New Choriagraphy, got to top view, create a path of 3 points. Select it then right click on path and A:M Dissapeared.

Usually I could get further and import the Wine Glass just created, attachet to the path, right click on the Wine Glass object, try to attach the Action just created and A:M would dissapear.

These are the steps that I emaild to Hash Support with my support email, sorry for not posting it with my original post. As you can see, A:M Dissapears or Crashes in different points.

First Try and crash
1. File, New Model
2. Added a 9 point sline.
3. Selected bottim point, then clicked on the Lathe
4. Switteched to Perspective view and clicked on Render Mode.
5. File, New Action
6. Clicked on button Render Mode, then moved mouse on render area, right clicked and A:m Crashed. Error file attached.

Closed A:M, started again
2nd Try and crash
1. File, New Model
2. Added a 9 point sline.
3. Selected bottim point, then clicked on the Lathe
4. Switteched to Perspective view and clicked on Render Mode.
5. File, New Action
6. Clicked on button Render Mode, then moved mouse on render area, right clicked and A:m Crashed. Error file attached.
7. Key framed (Only in filtered channels that pre-exist) at 00:05:00 Chalice bending left
8. Key framed at 00:08:00 Chalice bending right
9. Key framed at 00:10:00 Pasted Keyframe from frame 00:00:00
10. File, New Choreography
11. Switched to Top View and added a path with 7 points
12. Right clicked, Imported Model1 that I just created.
13. Right clicked on Model1, New Constraint Path
14. Right clicked on Model1, Imported Action I created for Model1
15. clicked on Model1, in the Time Line, clicked on Action1, clicked on Delete Key and A:M crashed

marcopio
01-26-2003, 04:15 PM
A:M version 9.51e and I am having problems with the Project and Choreographies files (attached). My latest project is the Message969.prj and Messages969.cho files.

1. They keep getting corrupt and/or every time I save and exit the project and/or A:M and open up the project again, the objects in the scene like "Shortcut to Light Over Tabernacle" gets moved to the floor and the properties of this light get lost like the Fall off property (15 cm is what I set it to before saving). This property gets reset to about 500 cm once I close the project and reopen.

2. After a inserting 7-9 objects in the Choreography, I want to insert other objects, they can bee seen in the Project Workspace, but in the Viewer I can see the box around the objects but the objects do not render nor can you see the splines of the object in the viewer. If I open up that object, I can see it outside of the current project. One workaround I found was to remove the Wave file from Project, bring in an object, then put Wave file back in, but this is not really a good workaround.

I have tried 4 times now by starting over each project and Choreographies and I always get stuck in the following.

Please advise on what to do and I am also available by phone to explain further, I can even call.

You can download zipped up project from:
http://www.avantitec.com/Uploads/Messages969.zip

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.