PDA

View Full Version : fluids cache SLOW

m.d.
08-12-2006, 05:28 PM
is this normal,
I am playing with the nuke scene included with maya...I can play the simulation at about a frame every 2 seconds.

When i go to make a fluids cache it seems to be caluculating on frame 2 for 5 minutes(i then abort the cache)

is it normally this slow, or am i an idiot and the time slider does not give frame feedback until it's done?

natsheh
08-13-2006, 07:46 AM
Normaly fluids are slow, but since you're saying it plays fast without caching, and with great latency when caching . . .defenetly there's something wrong, have you checked if you have enough space on your temp folder (since fluids are cached there by default), and is copied back into your project structure when you save the scene. Maybe you don't have enough space there . .. just maybe. . ..

m.d.
08-13-2006, 08:06 PM
I think i somewhat resolved the problem....I'm just not sure how.

I'm still confused on a couple things.

1> I assume you make a cache for each fluid in your scene(select the fluid....make the cache)
or can you do multiple fluids in 1 cache.
2>do you then disable evaluation when the cache is created,for playback....or is the cache used by default if there is a cache present.

3> a little off topic, but rendering through the hardware renderer...just gives me black
the software renderer....no problems...

any hidden settings for the hardware rould have renderer I should have thought of?
thanx

AndersEgleus
08-14-2006, 07:31 AM
1 You get one cache for each fluid, afaik you can't combine multiple fluids into the same cache (however you can connect one cache to several fluids if they're the same resolution).

2 If you disable evaluation the cache isn't read so leave it on. The fluid will read from the cache if it is availible and "legal" (i.e. correct resolution etc) for the current frame.

3 Don't know this one.

[edit] also a tip: don't cache fluid attributes that you don't need, it will save you a lot of time and hard drive space. E.g. a cache with only density is about 10 times smaller than one with all attributes cached.

m.d.
08-14-2006, 02:06 PM
thankx anders

CGTalk Moderation
08-14-2006, 02:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.