PDA

View Full Version : 3ds Max8 Hair Help

sandeep_612
08-12-2006, 02:09 AM
Hi everyone. I have finished a character's head and i have applied turbosmooth modifier on to it.On top of that i have applied a VertexPaint modifier and i painted (white) the surface where my hair should grow.In the viewport and in the rendering window hair is only on the surface where i have painted (white) but in the styling window hair guides are all over the character's head (messy) and this is my problem. Its not easy to style my character's hair.I want to see guides only on the painted (white) surface in the styling window. Guys please help me to recover this problem.

http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=viewport1rn7.jpg

http://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=renderingwindow2ji7.jpg

http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stylingwindow3tl2.jpg

sandeep_612
08-13-2006, 03:25 AM
Someone please help me i need a solution right now, because of this problem i cannot continue my modelling.Waiting for replies:sad:

sandeep_612
08-14-2006, 07:06 PM
33 Views and no replies from anyone :wise:so sad to see like this

cresshead
08-14-2006, 08:29 PM
couple of solutions...

q what version of max ar you using?....it's know that max8.0 has some issues re hair...so you should be using max8.0 service pack 3....

many people use a hair cap...basically you select where on your head model you want the hair....via poly selct then detach a copy....make those polys non rendering for the hair cap object but use it to place the guides....

have you watched the demo video on hair btw on autodesk's site..that takes you thru the process if you are unsure....also you can call your reseller as they are there to support you with 3dsmax as well.

steve g

sandeep_612
08-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks cresshead for relpying :thumbsup:.I already know this method, selecting the required polygons and detaching them as head cap and i have done it, but is there a solution for this problem. Guides should be only on the painted vertices in the styling window so that i can comb guides more easier than the previous method

hotknife
08-15-2006, 08:43 PM
The hair guides in the style window will always be present regardless of how you paint the vertices unless you select the required faces and press update selection.

sandeep_612
08-16-2006, 03:44 AM
Thanks hotknife for replying:thumbsup::).I think you have'nt seen the attached pics,How can i select the polygons when a turbosmooth modifier is applied on top of the mesh, otherwise i should collapse the modifier stack,which i don't want to do because, when i am working with a low poly character i have more controll than collapsing the stack and populating the scene.The other method of selecting the required polygons and detaching them as head cap is easier
but its a headache when i skin the character i have to skin the headcap also and maintain the volume, so this why i selected the vertexpainting method which has more controll than any other method for haircreation in max. If i can solve this problem (hair guides seen on the unpainted surfaces in the styling window) then this is the most superb solution for hair creation and controlling them. Hope anyone can find a solution for this problem.

hotknife
08-16-2006, 10:53 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=379370&highlight=hair

this is what I asked in an earlier post.

the other thing I do is make a cap and link/skin it to the head then apply turbo smooth to it and collapse it - to match the mesh of the smoothed character. That way at least just the cap is high poly not your whole character.

sandeep_612
08-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks hotknife for replying. you are telling that there is no solution for guides in the styling window.
anyone out there please suggest me a good solution

Arcanox
08-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks hotknife for replying. you are telling that there is no solution for guides in the styling window.
anyone out there please suggest me a good solution

Your best bet is to go with making your hairguides rather than using pregenerated ones. It takes time but it will yield the best results for your work.

What you do is use 3-4 segmented splines (higher for longer hair), and use the smooth segment type and move all of your points into various shapes.

What you do is draw out the spline, adjust the points and then clone the spline again, and again and again. Tweak, clone and shape and eventually you'll have a workable hair style. Make sure you take all of your custom hair guides and combine all of the splines into one spline object. Then there is a "recomb from splines" button in the hair modifer. This will automatically shape the guides to the best fit, based on the splines you drew out. Then you can make minor tweaks in the styling window, or readjust your custom splines and recomb again.

sandeep_612
08-18-2006, 02:57 AM
Thanks arcanox for helping me.Is this a wise way ?:thumbsup:

sandeep_612
08-18-2006, 02:58 AM
Thanks all the people for helping me.:thumbsup:

sandeep_612
Thanks arcanox and all others for helping me.:):thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.