PDA

View Full Version : Constructive critisism needed

gra4mac
01-23-2003, 06:59 PM
I think this forum is starting off really well, and we have all needed a place to vent our frustrations. However, as important as venting is, we need to balance and focus our energy on what we want. Bad press isn't going to get the changes we are after, assuming we want some positive changes in A:M. No one respondes well to being crtisized, not Mike,or William, or Hash.

This forum is new and has great potential, but it will take some planning and goal setting, just like creating a great animation. How about if we start a wish list for the forum, and one for A:M too.I don't know how best to go about this, but I know there are enough brains here to figure it out.

Cheers, Graham

Natess44
01-23-2003, 07:16 PM
I agree, other than venting our anger on Hash and A:M, what can we do? I think that this form should be used to disscuss feature requests,bugs, and hardware issues(if there are any). We should compile a list and send it to Hash so they can fix the problems.

JTalbotski
01-23-2003, 07:28 PM
The thing is, we all need the latest version of A:M in order for our bug reports to matter. They aren't going back to fix ver 10 betas or ver 9.5. My hope for this forum is that the bugs in the latest version can be openly discussed and compiled, then sent to Hash. Or if an isolated case, someone here may be able to show how it's supposed to work or what's wrong with your system.

When the OSX version comes out as beta, I plan on starting a thread here about how to get it running well, what works and what doesn't. Of course, that would mean having more than one Mac user in the forum.:p

gra4mac
01-23-2003, 07:41 PM
Have no fear. I am a confirmed Mac biggot.:cool: and I know there are others. Please take note, this is not a Mac verses PC thing. Just because I like licorice icecream and you like mango, doesn't mean we can't get along.

Cheers, Graham

Squeakypics
01-23-2003, 07:47 PM
Good plan.
I am a big fan of AM and although it can be very frustrating I am still excited about it despite recent events.

I am a 2d animator and illustrator and I bought AM to (eventually) attain that elusive 3rd dimension in my work. I have previously used Lightwave and even own Messiah but to be honest Hash makes a lot more sense to me. I just feel more at home in it so other people must as well - lets not feel guilty about it.
Underneath all the growling in these here parts I detect a real fondness for the software after all why else would the Eggington crew be moderating when they no longer use it (Shame)
I guess what I'd like to do is be one of the first to stick my head above the parapet and, in a firm voice shout: "Hurray for our team !" and wave my little Animation Master flag.

Wegg
01-23-2003, 08:13 PM
You know what would really work? Whenever AM crashes. . . take a screen shot. . . crop it and post it here. Then describe briefly what you were doing when the crash happened, what your platform is and a summery of your system configuration.

Yes you should also send this info it to steve@hash.com. . . but when I was using AM, I really did feel like I was in a bubble.

This will take a little more work. . . but if your serious about improving your product of choice. . . then open discussions and physical (as in screen grabs) proof is REALLY gunna get people's attention.

We could even have community prizes to those who find the most bugs. . .

Natess44
01-23-2003, 08:20 PM
Well you are a moderator, who's going to argue? :) You also know what your talking about.

zandoria
01-23-2003, 08:24 PM
Some of the bug reports that I have sent have been just that ( a screen capture). I like that idea a lot!

Not only will we feel like we're not in it alone, but we might figure out what the common steps are to re-create the problem. Thats where I see a real possibility of improvement--we will see all of the bugs that other people are having.:thumbsup:

Wegg
01-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Kewel. . . lets do it. . .

gra4mac
01-23-2003, 08:34 PM
Can we get a folder on the forum for the bug report threads, or do we just start an ongoing thread?

Cheers, Graham

Wegg
01-23-2003, 08:37 PM
Stuffed if I know. . . I'm new at this. ;-)

Lemme look around.

Wegg
01-23-2003, 08:59 PM
Ok there we go. . . any suggestions on how I could word that better?

no0ne
01-23-2003, 10:20 PM
how about namin conventions on new threads?
ugh? convention doesn't sound that good (;
but it would help alot

don't believe all bugreports will fit into one thread
& it wouldn't be that easy to spot a specific
bug-report or work-around (;

it would be extra cool to have different folders or something
but i still vote for naming conventions :wip:

Wegg
01-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Huh? Naming conventions? Whatchu talkin about Willis!?!

no0ne
01-23-2003, 10:32 PM
oops (; the way it's handled in the final gallery upstairs

let's say someone posts a new thread
names it "bugreport v8.5p: dadi dada doesn't work"

& everybody knows what lies beneath
without having to scan a looooong thread (;

sure we'll find some categories that fit

1. "bugreports" is quite obvious (;

but what else?

Wegg
01-23-2003, 10:38 PM
Well. . . it doesn't look like anyone has posted ANYTHING yet. . . lets just see if there are enough bug posts to make it worthwhile.

Ben Lumumba
01-23-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by weggingt
Well. . . it doesn't look like anyone has posted ANYTHING yet. . . lets just see if there are enough bug posts to make it worthwhile.
nobody uses AM anymore
at least me after all that crush

Dearmad
01-23-2003, 11:51 PM
weggy,

Give me a few days. I'm in the middle of Grad School apps and have been away from my current project. I'll have something to post in there I think- oops unless you mean only v10- I can't risk upgrading to that as I do not want to beta test at the moment, I want to CREATE a FILM!

Which reminds me of my current biggest complaint: I would like Hash to slow down on their development cycle and make it a two-year per version so we have some time to actually WORK in the current version. I don't like to sit and experiment/tinker with a program to no end other than figuring out what it can't/can do- I want to work on a project and not be bothered with the gee-whiz factor.

Hope that made some sense. At any rate, I'll post whatever bugs I encounter and hope it's a contribution.:shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.