PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: EI Universe 5.0 with Modeler

mistrrhappy
08-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Hi folks! I'm looking for a seat of EI 4.0 or 5.0 with the Modeler included. Just getting into real 3D work, and thought EI is a good place to start. Email me at mistrrhappy@gmail.com. Thanks!

Vizfizz
08-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Are you looking at 4.0/5.0 because of the modeler? Trying to keep prices down? Reason why I ask is v 6.5 is considerably better. The advances in the program over v4 are pretty dramatic. I think you would be much happier to purchase the most current version. Plus there are a couple of modeling solutions available for EI. Silo/Nevercenter offers a complete sub-d modeling package and 3rd party developers like Paralumino, Konkeptoine, and Northernlights all offer tools that can produce geometry within Animator.

First thing first.. contact Phil Martin at EITG. He can give you a great price on v_6.5. Trust me, you'll thank yourself for it.

plsyvjeucxfw
08-11-2006, 08:06 PM
I have to 2nd Brian's thoughts here.

Modeler never really was a mature application. Yes, there are folks who love(d) it. However, for most, it lacked stability, it lacked features, and it lacked the kind of modern, intuitive workflow folks look for in a CAD style modeler.

For comparison, check out Concepts Unlimited:

http://www.csi-concepts.com/

Their products seem to offer the kinds of features most users wanted from EI Modeler, along with an intuitive, user friendly workflow.

mistrrhappy
08-12-2006, 06:09 PM
I recently happened across the "Professional 3D with Electric Image Universe" by Lance Evans at Half Price books here in Houston. The book is really fun, but is missing the CD. I just considered a used seat of EI to follow along more closely with the tuts. I'll seriously consider buying the current release. Does Concepts 3D output a .FACT file? Are there any "gotchas" associated with the .FACT output of Silo? Just curious, as an attempt at an informed decision. I have also contacted Mr. Martin via sales@eitechnologygroup concerning v_6.5. I mentioned your name as a referral, Brian. I hope you don't mind. Thanks for any and all feedback!

Vizfizz
08-12-2006, 06:45 PM
Silo's fact output is fairly solid from what I've seen. Can't tell you anything about Concepts. What kind of modeling are you wanting to do? Hard surface or organic?

As for Lance's book...pretty much everything he talks about in there can still be applied to v6.5, its just that now there may be new tools that improve upon what he's suggested.

3dData
08-12-2006, 07:49 PM
I use Concepts 3D and the FACT export is very good. Not as good as Modeler, but EIM is dead. The folks at Concept will provide a fully functioning demo, so you can try out the FACT export. Contact Tim Olsen at Concepts.

Martin Kay
08-12-2006, 08:11 PM
You can always get the EI modeller from dvGarage for $99. (inc a 2.9 ish version of Animator) I don't know if this was the last version produced or licensed. If nothing else, it's handy to import sat from Rhino for tesselation prior to import to Animator.

Martin K

halfworld
08-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Does Concepts 3D output a .FACT file?

Indeed it does!
Ian

Martin Kay
08-13-2006, 07:34 AM
I have to 2nd Brian's thoughts here.

Modeler never really was a mature application. Yes, there are folks who love(d) it. However, for most, it lacked stability, it lacked features, and it lacked the kind of modern, intuitive workflow folks look for in a CAD style modeler.

For comparison, check out Concepts Unlimited:

http://www.csi-concepts.com/

Their products seem to offer the kinds of features most users wanted from EI Modeler, along with an intuitive, user friendly workflow.

Concept 3D is an amazing bit of software- so easy to use. Ultimately it probably doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but I only tried it for a few minutes. Excellent rounding and bevelling and wires for cutting- no variable radius though, I don't think. Very original and intuitive view system. I suspect its ludicrously cheap also- can't see the price...

Martin K

halfworld
08-13-2006, 12:22 PM
can't see the price...

Nor could I! Anyone know how much it costs?
Ian

velarde
08-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread but also interested in Concepts 3D

Joe, do you know the price for it ..?

I'm still using EIAS Modeler for some stuff (works ok), but like everybody else says I need to start thinking on a replacement. I have Modo but never really made click with it (and besides its a different kind of modeler)

I really got the hang of Modeler and felt comfortable with it. Is Concepts a good option for ex-Modelers users.. you think?

From reading from the very limited product info on their product page, Concepts Unlimited is for modeling, rendering and animating and Concetps 3D is just modeling, right...?

Why is the price hidden...? :)

Thanks

fjv

3dData
08-14-2006, 12:30 AM
I got my copy for $495, as a competitive upgrade from FormZ. Contact Tim Olson for any pricing. Well worth it for an exellent solids and surface modeler. If you try out the demo, you'll see many similarities with EIM.

arketype
08-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Concepts "Retail" price used to be $2995. It is meant to compete with other midrange CAD apps like Solid Works, although it is geared around industrial design, not engineering.

I have seen it with promotional pricing of $995.

Tim does offer good "crossgrade" pricing, but the $495 suprises me since upgrading from v2 to v3 right now costs around $600.

3dData
08-14-2006, 01:57 PM
I only purchased Concepts 3D ($495), the modeling portion of the program. After all, I use EIAS for animation!

velarde
08-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the Info.

The price looks reasonable, for Concepts 3D.

Will have to take it for a spin and see.

good luck

fjv

arketype
08-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Ah, yes....
I have Concepts Unlimited which includes integrated drafting.
It is more expensive.

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2006, 07:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.