PDA

View Full Version : Agp

Nem
01-23-2003, 06:21 PM
hi
whats the difference between AGP Pro and AGP? because some motherboard support AGP and others support AGP Pro :(

if the new Geforce FX is AGP8x, and ur motherboard is only 4x, does that mean the FX wud run slower than its supposed to?

elvis
01-23-2003, 10:11 PM
AGP and AGP Pro deliver different voltages/currents to your video card. AGP Pro cards typically draw more current due to the amount of calculations they do (rather than simple rasterising like gaming cards) and hence the need for AGP Pro came about.

you cannot (or rather shouldn't) put an AGP Pro card in an AGP slot.

the opposite (AGP in an AGP Pro) isn't so bad.

AGP 8X is something different again. AGP rates are basically how fast the AGP bus can communicate with the system ram (ie: the memory bandwidth available to the AGP bus).

to answer your question quite simply: an AGP8X card running at AGP4X won't affect your performance that much. (not right here today, at least). you're going to see more of a performance loss from a slower processor, less ram, etc than you would from AGP4X.

much the same occured back in the 4X/2X days due to the fact that video cards could never consume the bandwidth offered due to system bottlenecks elsewhere. nowdays you'd see a small performance hit dropping from 4X to 2X. the same will most likely occur in 8X to 4X drops in 6-12 months when system and memory speeds become faster.

Nem
01-23-2003, 10:34 PM
that means if i get the mboard now, im going to have to upgrade my whole rig (cos the mboard is only 4x) if i wanted to use the FX to its full potential?

danhua76
01-23-2003, 10:44 PM
there are mobo's in the market now that support the apg8x speed. look into soyo dragon ultra boards. the offer agp pro and agp 8x on their boards. these boards are fairly well built in quality and features. they are also one of the few maunfacturers that provide agp pro in their mobo's. most others only provide agp.

Nem
01-23-2003, 11:00 PM
well im getting a new computer soon, and was going to go with dual AMD 2400 (possibly, depends on the whole opteron/hammer situation)
ive seen some 760mpX mboards for dual AMD which have AGP Pro, but theyre all 4x, i dont think any of them go up to 8

David Watters
01-24-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Nem
that means if i get the mboard now, im going to have to upgrade my whole rig (cos the mboard is only 4x) if i wanted to use the FX to its full potential?

That would be a true statement.

Nem
01-24-2003, 12:16 AM
30% is a pretty big increase :scream:
if i wanted to use the GF FX and a dual AMD, both of which are running at their best, how would i do it? i dont mind what AMD it is, as long as it isnt intel :)

GregHess
01-24-2003, 02:37 AM
Remember that spec isn't a 3d app...its a benchmark. Expect realworld scores to be about 25-50% less then benchmark increases. According to some of the earlier 3dsmax tests ...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/video/3dsmax5-980xgl/

There is little if any gain in actual use between the 900XL and 980XL in Max5. Of course this is limited to just one package, but it shows how different situations showcase different results.

Even nvidia's own site shows a very minor difference in performance. (Even based on specscores)

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?page=quadro4xgl

The greatest gains with AGP 8x seems apparent in heavily textured, or heavy poly scenes.

And there are no AGP 8X Dual AMD boards available currently. (If there are, I BEG YOU to prove me wrong.)

elvis
01-25-2003, 07:37 AM
i think the world is scratching it's head at the moment as to what AMD are going to do with the new MP barton-based processors coming out in less than a month.

a 333MHz FSB SMP-capable CPU with no chipset is a worry. lets hope a stable, tweakable and AGP8X enabled 333FSB SMP chipset is released simultaneously with this chip. and lets also hope that AMD aren't the only option for an SMP chipset for athlon processors. not that i'm knocking the 760MPX, but it's nice to see competition in the market to (a) drop prices down and (b) show resellers that there's interest in the market and it's worth selling. i know MPX boards in australia are difficult to get at times.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.