PDA

View Full Version : Beginnerfriendly moddeling program

Yokery
08-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Hi to all,
at first. This site is great. I visit it every day and I love the work of all users here.
This is because I made that Topic:
I need a program which is beginnerfriendly and free.
I tried Blender and XSI but it is very hard to understand something of that if you are a totally newbie.
I tried beginner tutorials, too. But I didnt get something, only some very crazy cubes etc.
I hope you'll help me, thanks.
Yoker

MysteryMan
08-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Wings 3D is good.

paulrus
08-11-2006, 03:35 PM
This may sound really lame, but I downloaded Google's Sketch 3D for my 9 year old to play around with and she really enjoyed it. They have a lot of tutorials and it gets you started building models for free.

kefka
08-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Hi!

3D modeling is not something anyone can do in 5 minutes.

Download Blender or Wings 3D and pick a beginner tutorial. (I know you already did, but you GAVE UP).

The key is to COMPLETE the tutorial. Open a thread where you can ask every question you may have.

Once you are started, its a matter of practicing and being honest with your weaknesses in order to change them into strengths.

:)

Enlightenment
08-12-2006, 01:00 AM
Neither XSI or Blender are good for beginners. As others have said, start with Wings3D. You can transfer the skills you'll learn in Wings to more sophisticated modeling tools later.

kefka
08-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Neither XSI or Blender are good for beginners. As others have said, start with Wings3D. You can transfer the skills you'll learn in Wings to more sophisticated modeling tools later.

I would not go as far as saying that it is too much difficult to start on Blender, but I agree that Wings3D puts the focus on elementary modeling functions! The learning curve is very short.

Prince3d
08-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Have you tried Lightwave 3D? The interface is very user friendly, Try out the evaluation edition. newtek.com

locke2121
08-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Over at Daz3D, I have a series of tutorials on how to begin modelling in Wings3D. I used it for several years before I got Hex, but it took me months to learn the controls. The tutorials help everyone shorten that time by giving them a simple modelling task, while learning where the commands are, what they do and how to use them. I've had alot of beginners email me thanking me for making Wings3D easier to understand. Go read the tuts and you can get an idea of how Wings3D works. It doesn't have alot of the bells and whistles that some of the top model programs have, but I've seen some amazing stuff created with it!

spj
08-13-2006, 12:36 PM
If all you're interested in is modelling, and just starting out, it might be a good idea to avoid a full animation/modelling/rendering package like lightwave, XSI or blender and instead go for a package that only does modelling.
I would suggest silo, its cheap, powerful and incredibly easy to use. (www.nevercenter.com)
I've never tried wing3d so I can't comment on its use but its free, which is nice if you're on a budget.
Sam

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2006, 12:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.