PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Newbie Questions

reddog708
08-10-2006, 10:06 PM
:D

I have never used 3DS, but coming from C4D I am totally lost. I am reading the manual but it's not helping in this case.

2 questions:

I just want to be looking through a camera and be able to select an object and rotate around it instead of just panning the camera.

I see 2 tools, pan camera and orbit camera, but with an object selected theyre both doing the same thing; panning the camera, not orbiting. Can anyone help?

Second Question, in Maya & C4D there are convenient keys to hold down while controlling the camera so I can zoom, pan, roll, and truck easily. I notice when I switch from perspective view to camera view these disappear. Are there shortcuts for these?

Thanks!

newtype311
08-15-2006, 10:46 PM
try holding down "ALT"

supremepizza
08-15-2006, 10:55 PM
:D

I have never used 3DS, but coming from C4D I am totally lost. I am reading the manual but it's not helping in this case.

2 questions:

I just want to be looking through a camera and be able to select an object and rotate around it instead of just panning the camera.

I see 2 tools, pan camera and orbit camera, but with an object selected theyre both doing the same thing; panning the camera, not orbiting. Can anyone help?

Second Question, in Maya & C4D there are convenient keys to hold down while controlling the camera so I can zoom, pan, roll, and truck easily. I notice when I switch from perspective view to camera view these disappear. Are there shortcuts for these?

Thanks!

First thing you want to do is get used to not working from your camera view. In Max you'd use the Perspective view. Hold down your middle mouse button and you can pan up down left and right. Also you can hold your alt button at the same time to rotate around. 1 quick tip... if you look down on the bottom right of your interface there's a button "zoom extends" make sure it's set to selected and the pivot point of your rotation will be set to your selected object. Important however is that if using any other viewport other than the perspective viewport, navigation/rotation can be aggrivating at best. Workflow tips would be to select the object hit your zoom extenz selected then rotate. It works on sub-object mode as well ... for instance if you're working on a complex hi rez mesh and you want to concentrate on a selection of polys or vertcies just select those and zoom extenz selected while in perspective view and you'll be set. Don't use cameras as viewports in Max they're just for rendering perspectives.

newtype311
08-15-2006, 11:28 PM
whoops double post

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2006, 11:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.