PDA

View Full Version : Project window nuisance?

Martin Kay
08-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Got my copy of 6.5 today, so its the start of a long period of getting to know it... I'm sure in old versions of EI that the Project window always stayed on top, but now if you click in a window it dissappears underneath... The only way around this I've figured out is to pull it down so it covers two window panes, thus always leaving part of it visible. I can't find anything in the manual about this, unless its tucked away somewhere...

Martin K

manuel
08-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Don't know which OS you're using, but on OS X, Animator works just fine with expose. Just tap F10.

gdogfunk
08-11-2006, 12:54 AM
I am quite fond of using keyboard shortcuts to navigate EIAS. If you can get comfortable hitting apple-L (or Control-L on PCs), you can show/hide the project window at will...same goes for the Function Curve Editor (apple-Y)...and there are shortcuts for most of the other windows as well...including the 3D viewports (apple-1, 2, 3, 4 etc)

I know some people like to replace a viewport with the project window - thus leaving it open at all times...

Don't forget to start control-clicking stuff too, you now get a very handy contextual-menu for lots of useful stuff! (unless you already know this)

Hope this helps!

Ryan

Martin Kay
08-11-2006, 07:18 AM
I am quite fond of using keyboard shortcuts to navigate EIAS. If you can get comfortable hitting apple-L (or Control-L on PCs), you can show/hide the project window at will...same goes for the Function Curve Editor (apple-Y)...and there are shortcuts for most of the other windows as well...including the 3D viewports (apple-1, 2, 3, 4 etc)

I know some people like to replace a viewport with the project window - thus leaving it open at all times...

Don't forget to start control-clicking stuff too, you now get a very handy contextual-menu for lots of useful stuff! (unless you already know this)

Hope this helps!

Ryan

Hi, yes I remember CntrlL from earlier days, but thats still a nuisance to have to do if you are going back and forth. I'll swear the object panel used to stay on top. As I'm using a 21" monitor I'm going to try reducing the four panes down and placing the object window in the gap thats left.
Thanks.

Martin K

Martin Kay
08-11-2006, 07:26 AM
Don't know which OS you're using, but on OS X, Animator works just fine with expose. Just tap F10.

I'm working with Win XL.

Martin K

halfworld
08-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Hey,

I don't remember a version of EI that behaved like that, but the first version I used was 3.

Edit: Missed your OS so deleted the Mac 'float on top' work around.

If you need to free up screenspace then only have a couple of 3D views open at a time (using alt-1, 2, 3, 4 to switch between the ortho views). That's how I work at home, at work I have two monitors so it's slightly different.

I hope you find a comfortable layout!
Ian

Martin Kay
08-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Hey,

I don't remember a version of EI that behaved like that, but the first version I used was 3.

Edit: Missed your OS so deleted the Mac 'float on top' work around.

If you need to free up screenspace then only have a couple of 3D views open at a time (using alt-1, 2, 3, 4 to switch between the ortho views). That's how I work at home, at work I have two monitors so it's slightly different.

I hope you find a comfortable layout!
Ian

Well I could be going senile in my old age...:) maybe I'm imagining it! They go to great lengths to tell you how important the project window is in the pdf manual- I'd have though you'd want it on top all the time, especially if animating. One thing- I'm glad that irritating screen redraw EI used to have has now gone. The open GL seems to be very good in this release.

Martin K

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2006, 04:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.