PDA

View Full Version : Any Converting programs?

MDB101
01-23-2003, 02:48 PM
I was wondering if there was a converting program that can convert a BMP or a Jpeg to a raster? or like to a vector based? so I can work with that vector base in corel for quality prints in the printing indusrty.?

tchook
01-23-2003, 04:07 PM
yes you can do it in photoshop but its not very accurate
and ther is a lot of control points and handles to move to get a good shape
anway

convert selection to path

-get a selection
-go into the path window
-in the path menu (black arrow on the top left of the box)
select make work path
-adjust tolerance (0,5=a lot of points
10=not much

this is very painfull

when i have to do this i draw the path from scratch with the bitmap
model behind, it s long but at least you get what you want

hope that help

blankslatejoe
01-23-2003, 07:08 PM
adobe used to make something called streamline which did this, but I never became too familar with it. Flash does a pretty good job. Usually just bringing the image into illustrator and tracing it puts up the best results.

Also, I think raster referes to a bitmapped file. As opposed to vector.. hence "rasterizing photoshop text". Watch them terms! :thumbsup:

tchook
01-23-2003, 07:19 PM
you are right raster is bitmap

i can give you the exact definition but i think you will be sleeping before
finishing reading it

:beer:

dg
01-24-2003, 01:38 AM
Corel Draw package have a excelent tool for that just like Adobe Streamline but with more features, it's called Corel Trace now is in version 11 but very few changes since version 8, try it.

Cya ;-)

singularity2006
01-24-2003, 03:28 AM
use the photoshop actions to do a batch conversion... pretty handy dandy... i use actions @ work which allow me to work more efficiently on those student ID photos that I have to work with each and everyday....

but now that actions have done the work for me... i must figure out another way to justify my existence... :shrug:

fabman
01-30-2003, 10:27 AM
Yep, definitely I'll go for Adobe Streamline, quite a powerful tool for that... here's the link:
http://www.adobe.com/products/streamline/main.html

You can even try it before buying it to see if it suits you:
http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jhtml#product=45

dg
01-31-2003, 04:59 AM
Just one thing if I'm not mistaken Streamline from Adobe do only BW raster files and Corel Trace do color ones too.

But they are both great,
See Ya!

kraal
01-31-2003, 08:40 AM
yeah if your final goal was corel the corel has trace i used that at an silkscreening agency and it worked great i also used streamline which work well also

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.