PDA

View Full Version : lightwave NLA

Chris Olsen
03-15-2002, 09:55 AM
I was just wonderng how easy it is to work with Lightwave's new NLA in version 7. Does it offer the flexibility needed to make it easy to use or is it simular to max's block controllers, nothing more than a feature that make the feature list longer. I have Animation Master and would like to invest in a program that offers good animation tools, but better modelling tools, so Lightwave crossed my mind. Cheers

raffael3d
03-15-2002, 07:34 PM
So far the NLA in Lw7 is good! Not as good as in Softimage XSI, but its really good. It has all what you need: transistions, repeats etc.
And you will ask yourself how you ever made a complete animation without such a thing.
If you are looking for a software with a great modeler, then I can really recommend LightWave. It has the best modeler I have seen so far. Although I have also Maya and XSI experience.
But in the animation part other packages are better.
But modeling and rendering combined with the price: very good!
and the animation tools are not bad. It's just that other packages are more flexible.

Chris Olsen
03-15-2002, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the info

I have been using animation master for a while now, and I love the way actions can be layered. It is an amazing feature. I was just unsure if Lightwave had the same thing. Lightwave does seem to be a pretty incredible product when it comes to modelling, rendering and of course price :)

raffael3d
03-15-2002, 07:52 PM
yeah it is :-)
of course you can layer the things. That's what NLA is all about. So far destructive animation had only one layer, now with NLA you have several. They allow transitions between different moves: Imagine you create female dance. The first step she goes left. Now you create step two where she goes right. Now you can simply make a transitions, between these two layers.
Also animation is good. Only one big lack is there: in modeler you have many undo possibilites. In Layout you have only 1!
(if you don't know Lightwave: it consits of a modeler program and a layout programm, where the animation is done. A hub takes care of the transition. It's an intelligent system.

takkun
03-16-2002, 03:48 AM
I was also an Animation Master user and have since changed over to Lightwave. Since version 6, Newtek seems to be putting a lot more emphasis on making Lightwave a good character animation tool. They're not quite there yet but they're on the right track. And anyways, there's always Project:Messiah.

dzogchen
03-17-2002, 01:23 PM
I switched over from AM to Lightwave too and did not regret my decision. The render is just awesome. :bounce:

Chris Olsen
03-17-2002, 09:12 PM
You guys that have switched from animation master, how do you find the simplicity of Lightwave, especially in regards to skeleton setup, and smart-skin (or whatever it is called in Lightwave)? This is one area that I really like about AM and have always been under the impression that most other programs are much more complex.

raffael3d
03-18-2002, 03:42 AM
I would say LightWave is not complex if you have a general understanding of 3D. I started 3d with Lightwave 5.5. Now I also use XSI and Maya. Im sooo happy that I started 3d with LightWave. The general overview over the features and the general topics of 3d (modeling, texturing, rendering, animation etc.) are much easier to understand and to handle. I would say it is much more difficult to understand 3d if you start with a package like maya or xsi.
I can really recommend it.

takkun
03-19-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Chris Olsen
You guys that have switched from animation master, how do you find the simplicity of Lightwave, especially in regards to skeleton setup, and smart-skin (or whatever it is called in Lightwave)? This is one area that I really like about AM and have always been under the impression that most other programs are much more complex.

I'm still learning Lightwave but it is my understanding that there isn't any smart-skin type feature in LW. Instead I think you use weight maps to make clean deformations. Also LW doesn't have as many types of constraints as AM and doesn't have quaternions. Truthfully, Animation Master is right up there with Maya and XSI when it comes to animation but near the bottom of the heap when it comes to rendering and 3rd party plug-in support.

Julez4001
03-21-2002, 12:18 AM
I am a LW Vet (almost 10 yrs next year)... Hey I'm only 28. I am starting to use XSI and fould that it has some wonderful features but LW gives a lot of bang for your buck.

RenderEngine is incredible (better than Maya's) with a lot feature sets and for what character tools it lacks,
Project:Messiah replaces, speeds it up and add tons of other stuff to make a powerhouse suite.

Heard Lw dropping to $1595.

www.flay.com

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.