PDA

View Full Version : CRT or LCD

blc
01-23-2003, 02:24 PM
Hello,

I am planning to buy a new set of dual screen to use with a HIS radeon 9700 pro 128 MB DVI+TV but...

I wonder if I will have the same quality of color with a LCD compare to CRT

What do you think LCD 18" SONY S81 compare to a 22" Samsung 1200NF diamontron; it' almost the same price but I realy need a perfect color.

Thanks for any advise.

blc

GregHess
01-23-2003, 05:24 PM
If you need flawless color, then you'll need to get something with a trinitron tube...which pretty much rules out any LCD's.

elvis
01-23-2003, 11:16 PM
there have been a number of very in-depth discussions already about LCD vs CRT image and colour quality. do a search through the forums and see what you come up with.

blc
01-24-2003, 08:33 AM
Thanks ! Any website with CRT screen compare ?

GregHess
01-24-2003, 01:09 PM
Get a trinitron Sony or Viewsonic.

Lower dot pitch = better.

Higher res AND 85 Hertz = better.

Trinitron > Shadow Mask (When color reproduction is involved)

blc
01-24-2003, 01:51 PM
Hey !

Thanks to all. I finaly find something interesting:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/display/

http://www6.tomshardware.com/display/19990624/index.html
http://www6.tomshardware.com/display/20011128/index.html
http://www6.tomshardware.com/display/20020805/index.html

mmm...a lot to read

blc

GregHess
01-24-2003, 02:19 PM
Don't read tomshardware, it rots your brain.

MaDSheeP
01-24-2003, 03:05 PM
lol

gustojunk
01-24-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by GregHess
Don't read tomshardware, it rots your brain.

HI Greg,
Could you please elaborate on this? I always thought that Tomshardware and anandtech were good and reliable sources of information. I also very much respect your judgement, so I'd like to know what's wrong with tomshardware in your opinion.

Gustavo

gustojunk
01-24-2003, 04:40 PM
I also wanted to mention that I finally settled for an LCD myslef. I ordered the formac gallery 2010 ( http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=solutions_displays_gallery2010&PHPSESSID=4a8758be715fa0bb4a0e9be949b184c4 ). I'll have it here by next week and I plan to make it a twin view (using the 2 heads of my video card)of my CRT Dell (Sony) Trinitron so I can compare the picture quality difference. I'm hoping for a close match to the CRT but I don't expect any bettter of course. I'll let you guys know how turns out.

Gustavo

GregHess
01-24-2003, 04:53 PM
Gusto,

Do a search on cgtalk for tomshardware. There is an extensive thread on this subject. Toms hardware has repeatedly lied, been sued for criminal slander, and falsified results and data. I won't even consider using it as a source for news, who knows whats being falsified or made up.

I'll make it easy.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24408&highlight=tomshardware

gustojunk
01-24-2003, 07:07 PM
thanks Greg,

Very enlighting info....

WhiteRabbitObj
01-25-2003, 04:37 AM
www.hardocp.com is a pretty reliable site. But the forums are filled with 1337 d00dz unfortunately. Tomshardware is very bad, lol! =)

If space is not an issue, CRTs are certainly better but LCDs are sooo nice =)

elvis
01-25-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by GregHess
Toms hardware has repeatedly lied, been sued for criminal slander, and falsified results and data. I won't even consider using it as a source for news, who knows whats being falsified or made up.
not only that, but he smells funny too.

seriously tho: tomshardware and hardocp have both lost a lot of cred in the last 12 months with so many hardware sites. both have been proved to alter data after posting, aswell as promote sponsored hardware well above and beyond their worth.

it's a sad fact, but large hardware companies are starting to figure out what effect sites like toms and [H] have on their readers and their hardware choices, and as such are targeting these sites directly rather than their failed marketing tactics to the mindless population.

whatever you do, make sure you read as many reviews as youc an, both in print and online before making a decision on a piece of hardware. no matter what the discussion, there'll always be two or more opinions on something, and you need to be aware of all of the alternatives before shelling out your hard-earned cash.

LeeTN
01-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by gustojunk
I also wanted to mention that I finally settled for an LCD myslef. I ordered the formac gallery 2010 ( http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=solutions_displays_gallery2010&PHPSESSID=4a8758be715fa0bb4a0e9be949b184c4 ). I'll have it here by next week and I plan to make it a twin view (using the 2 heads of my video card)of my CRT Dell (Sony) Trinitron so I can compare the picture quality difference. I'm hoping for a close match to the CRT but I don't expect any bettter of course. I'll let you guys know how turns out.

Gustavo

I currently have the formac 2010 and I love it. Excellent color, good blacks and fast pixel response. The only downside is that in multimonitor use it makes you want to upgrade your other monitors...I plan to get a Samsung 191T to pair with my formac so I can use the pivot function on the Samsung for code editing and layout work...hey, it's just money...

Oh yeah, make sure you run the formac off a DVI connector, in analog it is not that impressive.

gustojunk
01-25-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by LeeTN
I currently have the formac 2010 and I love it. Excellent color, good blacks and fast pixel response. The only downside is that in multimonitor use it makes you want to upgrade your other monitors...

Hi Lee,

That's great to hear since I had to blindly buy this monitor based on reviews and specs. I've found frusutation to have to buy such a big ticket item where the performance is as subjective as the human eye. Especially because if I didn't like it I still had to shell out a 20% restocking fee. I still feel guilty about spending so much money in a monitor but since I'm a freelancer and I bring my equipment with me to multiple sites it was more a matter of back injury what pushed me to upgrade.

BTW did you know that Samsungs also use the same Fujistu LCD panel that the Formacs use? At least that what I was told by a formac reseller. They said the only difference is that each brand puts their own back panel and controller/driver/whatever.

I personally think the ideal second monitor would be a next-gen wacom cintiq, that is once they make them 1600X1200 and with better color output, because the ones they have now I think they are only good for 'coloring books' quality. BTW did you know that

LeeTN
01-25-2003, 09:34 PM
I personally think the ideal second monitor would be a next-gen wacom cintiq, that is once they make them 1600X1200 and with better color output, because the ones they have now I think they are only good for 'coloring books' quality. BTW did you know that

I knew that there was a $3,500 or so Cintiq, but beyond that I'd paid little attention to them because of price.

I think it's a great idea...if it combined a formac-like quality color display with an Intuos2-like pen experience, but I don't think we're in danger of seeing anything that sophisticated for quite awhile. And even if they do manage to put it all together, it seems that Wacom will charge too much for it.

As an independent myself, I constantly try to balance top-quality components with a realistic operating budget. Not an easy task.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.