PDA

View Full Version : working with bents normals

bossanova
08-10-2006, 07:06 AM
Shake seems to have good documentation on working with bent normal passes but I can't find any with Fusion. Anyone had any luck with this?

darwin
08-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi, this is only a little work about normal light, where Iīve been investigating so many time, but I think it could be better, and maybe there is another way to do it, so that if someone know, please tell it. Here a I drop my projet done in "digital fusion". With the hue you change the angle of light.

I hope this is just only the begining of a long ang gloriur investigation.

The file rename to .rar

Darwin.

Character animator

PeterSanitra
08-11-2006, 05:00 PM
What you have do is to your RBG image connect and Channel boolean operator(original image is forground, bend normal pass background), inside it create new XYZ normal channel s from bent normal pass, the output connect to shader node, and to shader node connect an enviroment map. works 100%
Have fun :thumbsup:

darwin
08-11-2006, 05:49 PM
I didnīt understand when you refer to "inside it create new XYZ normal channels ", please, could you explain me it again, or could you drop an example file.

Thank you very much,

Darwin

Character animator

PeterSanitra
08-12-2006, 12:56 PM
in channel boolean Aux channel turn on enable Extra channels and there
to XYZ normal connect RGB channels from normal map connected to Background.

darwin
08-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks, work perfectly

PeterSanitra
08-12-2006, 10:32 PM
works this time??

darwin
08-12-2006, 11:11 PM
It works very well

bossanova
08-13-2006, 09:36 PM
took me a bit to figure out but man, when it worked I felt all tingly inside. haha. Thank you for your generous advice. I am very grateful.

PeterSanitra
08-14-2006, 07:29 AM
No problem. I felt the same on my "first time" :bounce:

elay
12-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi PeterI have tried your workflow tu use the bent normal, but i have always artifacts around my pictires.

i dont know i have connected my node in fusion wrong.

is it possible, to give me some more tips how can i use the bent normal corrcet??

PS: i have connected my Normal map (bent Normal picture) to the channel boolean
then enable under Aux Channel the Enable extra channels.
And set the x,y,z,normal to red,green,blue fg .Then i connect the output of the channel boolean to the shader Node foregroundbut and the original renderd image to background of the Shader node but it dont works.

i have also send a attachments to see the problem

thanks

www.cgselect.com (http://www.cgselect.com)

1armedScissor
12-08-2006, 02:11 AM
My "guess" is that your source footage doesn't have a suitable bit depth for performing this operation. can you zip and post a copy of your flow and source footage?

elay
12-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Hi first of all thanks

I have found a solution to get better result i have attach a Picture of my Flow and rendering.
This is only a Test

1armedScissor
12-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi elay. The results showing in your "shader" node don't seem correct. Can you zip the entire flow with source and post it? I'd be more than happy to take a peek at a few things for you.

elay
12-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Hi thanks

please give me your email the attachement are limitied and my are full.
So i can send you the Flow and pictures via Email.

1armedScissor
12-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi elay. I sent you a PM with my email.

5sense
12-29-2006, 10:34 AM
What you have do is to your RBG image connect and Channel boolean operator(original image is forground, bend normal pass background), inside it create new XYZ normal channel s from bent normal pass, the output connect to shader node, and to shader node connect an enviroment map. works 100%
Have fun :thumbsup:
Hi peter.
I'm trying to use a bent normal in digital fusion
but may I don't understand how can I use it.
please can you tell me or explain a good way to use a bent normal
in digital fusion!?
thanks for any reply/suggestion.

bye

M

1armedScissor
12-31-2006, 02:36 AM
Hi 5sense. What part are you having trouble with exactly?

5sense
12-31-2006, 08:18 AM
Hi 5sense. What part are you having trouble with exactly?
Hi ooga booga,
when I manage a normal pass usually I separated them into 3 channel.
Like R-G-B and for each of one. After I apply a different node operator and combine them
togheter to have a unique pass to use it as like mask for CC node or mult.
Depands what I want to control or have for my CG model.
My trouble it's to understand or to have a confirm to proceed in this way with digital fusion.
And I want to write a small macro, I done a small macro for shake to have more
control for Normal pass, in these day I'll put other futures, like z_depth, shadow and AO.
thanks

and happy new year.

1armedScissor
12-31-2006, 04:07 PM
Hi 5sense.

By looking at the images you attached to your last post it appears as though your macro is basically doing the following;
1 - separating each channel of the normals pass
2 - having different "fade" controls for each channel
3 - blending between these different values.

It doesn't appear as though you're doing any vector calculations, so you'd only be limited to 6 different "light" directions (although depending on what code you're using in your macro you're possibly only able to have 3 separate directions).

It's alot simpler in Fusion. You don't need to replicate what you're doing in shake at all. The methodology is a little different though. I could be mistaken but from looking at your macro it appears as though you're interpreting the nomals pass as being "baked lighting" information. This isn't the case. Each pixel is a "vector" containing the "surface normal direction" of the geometry at that pixel. You don't really need to worry about all this however, Fusion handles this for you.

You need to use the shader node. It calculates the "light" direction in relation to the "normal direction" at each pixel. Then using standard dot product lighting (lambertian), allows for "lighting" from any direction.

(For the specular term I believe it's using either the basic phong shading model or possibly blinn's phong approximation based on the halfway vector (between the normal and the viewing angle - in this case the viewing angle is <0, 0, -1>, if I'm not mistaken.)

Follow peterSanitra's directions and that's all you need to do. Give it a shot and if it's still not working for you let me know and I'll do up a sample flow for you and email it to you.

hope this helps :D

5sense
12-31-2006, 07:40 PM
You meant this!?
see below the attachment!

Thanks for your precious suggestion.
Next week I'll put an advanced macro for shake,
and It work more better and fine than the last I showed here.
But for yet thanks.

Happy new year.

best regards

Aneks
01-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Hi ooga booga,
when I manage a normal pass usually I separated them into 3 channel.
Like R-G-B and for each of one. After I apply a different node operator and combine them
togheter to have a unique pass to use it as like mask for CC node or mult.
Depands what I want to control or have for my CG model.
My trouble it's to understand or to have a confirm to proceed in this way with digital fusion.
And I want to write a small macro, I done a small macro for shake to have more
control for Normal pass, in these day I'll put other futures, like z_depth, shadow and AO.
thanks

The method of braking out channels to do lighting the way you have shown is not accurate. There are a number of macros available for shake which will correctly do the normal lookup calculation for lighting. Have a search on the Shake thread as it has been discussed and the mathematics explained !

5sense
01-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Hi aneks, I know that way to use a bent normal is not correct.
I don't know well Fusion. In the next day I will post a simple macro
that I had done with my another collegues.
I this macro you will have 3 important master control.
lighting, z depth and shadow.
It's works well.
tomorrow I'll post some screen shots.

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2007, 04:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.