PDA

View Full Version : AM Manuals?

Gazzamataz
01-23-2003, 12:52 PM
Just a thought, but why don't Hash produce a new manual to cover the new features to their program. The current one 'The Art of Animation Master' is not really a manual more like an introduction to A:M. Does it cost too much cos the online help is CRAP!

Squeakypics
01-23-2003, 01:48 PM
I just got my V10 upgrade today and it came with the V9 "Manual".
I mailed Hash thinking that this was a mistake but it seems not.
I love the software but would really like to know how to use it without having to wait for other users to stumble over features and have the time to do tutorials.
Over all I have a very dim view of the manual situation especially as the online thing for V9 hasn't even been finished yet.

pants!

no0ne
01-23-2003, 02:53 PM
:surprised ugh?

but on the other hand

what always made me feel :thumbsdow:
in those pre-v9-manual-times
questions like "how do i decal?" or "what's a spline?"
& i did ask questions,
perhaps not that basic but covered in the old manual myself :hmm: guess, we're sometimes just too blind (;

boards like this one fill the gap & are always necessary (imo)

the tutorial-collection that comes with a:m is for my taste
enough to get started with the program
just love to be surprised from time to time (;

jaymackey
01-23-2003, 05:22 PM
Yes, this just kills me. :annoyed:

We have a QuickStart pamphlet that comes with the last 2 or more versions, and we have an Online 'manual', and I use that term loosely. The latest version is A:M 2003, and the online manual was written for A:M 2001. That online manual is the only thing that mentions the 'flatten' technique at all, and there is no documentation on UV coordinate creation, which was a feature added in A:M 2002, I believe. I've only this week learned of this capability.

Are there any other capabilities that have yet to be documented in a manual of any sort?

Thanks,

dfaris
01-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Look the reason they dont have a new manual is two fold,

1. They cant write a manual or have somebody write a manual because all the new features that they need to write about don't work or crash when sombody trying to write the manual uses it.

2. They have the mailing list which steve kicks anyone off that even talks about new featurs crashing. SO if somebody asks about cloth the list will tell them different ways to do what they want without using cloth or what ever feature they want to use.

penguinpavilion
01-23-2003, 05:43 PM
You forgot to mention that they can't even make up their mind how to implement the features they are even working on. I bought one of the Anzovin tapes last yer, pre-ordered it, mainly because I wanted to get the information about using distortion boxes. When I got it the information was out of date, Hash had changed how the distortion boxes worked. The damn tape hadn't even been recorded when that change came in. I think this would be a good candidate for a poll that gets forwarded to everybody at Hash, not just Steve.

pabitel
01-23-2003, 05:57 PM
They really should include David Rogers' excellent book with the software in lieu of that mess they call a "manual." Without his book, I would've been truly lost.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.