PDA

View Full Version : AM or Maya?

Gazzamataz
01-23-2003, 12:14 PM
I spent the last two and a half years learning AM 8/8.5, bought all the Anzovin Tapes and most of the A:M Training Tapes at the time. More to the point I have spent over a year developing my own characters and stories using this program.

I got my mits on version 9/9.5 and became disillusioned, it seemed very buggy (items dissapearing from choreographies) and what's more when I tried converting my characters to the new version to take advantage of the great-looking new features it most times crashed on me.

Now version 10 is out and it looks like it's stability has improved. But I am in a dialemma, I have spent a while learning Maya and am considering converting all my characters into this program but it would take probably a long time to do in my spare time. Or should I risk it and get version 10 and persevere...

What would you lot do?

:hmm:

Wegg
01-23-2003, 04:42 PM
If you keep your concepts and idea simple. . . and avoid all the froo froo features of AM. (fur, particles, dynamics, Radiosity etc) I'll bet you will be more poductive in AM than you would be in Maya. Just keep it simple.

Gazzamataz
01-23-2003, 05:00 PM
Cheers Weggingt

As it happens I have been tentatively experimenting with my characters in A:M 9.51e, and so far NO problems. My project will be simple, I don't intend to use any of the froo froo features (froo?) apart from particles (flame & smoke). So I think I'll animate a short sequence with them and see how it behaves...

:eek:

pabitel
01-23-2003, 09:47 PM
If you have $7,000 to spend and an additional $1,500 per year for maintenance, buy Maya.

Commiekeebler
01-23-2003, 09:49 PM
Steer clear of AM, especially any versions of it after v8.5p+

In other words, don't do what I did.

Transparent objects are really screwed up in version 9.51e for example; sound is screwed up in version 10.

Never realized that making an eye with semi-transparent parts is 'froo froo' whatever that means.

Natess44
01-23-2003, 09:52 PM
Well v10 beta7 and up is ok, still has bugs but it works a whole lot better than v9.51e!

no0ne
01-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Commiekeebler

Transparent objects are really screwed up in version 9.51e for example...

that stupid pic me posted in this monsterthread page 6 or so
has an transparent object right in the middle
i can't see the screws (;
perhaps i gotta get new glasses

v9.51e

Ben Lumumba
01-23-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Gazzamataz
I spent the last two and a half years learning AM 8/8.5, bought all the Anzovin Tapes and most of the A:M Training Tapes at the time. More to the point I have spent over a year developing my own characters and stories using this program.

I got my mits on version 9/9.5 and became disillusioned, it seemed very buggy (items dissapearing from choreographies) and what's more when I tried converting my characters to the new version to take advantage of the great-looking new features it most times crashed on me.

Now version 10 is out and it looks like it's stability has improved. But I am in a dialemma, I have spent a while learning Maya and am considering converting all my characters into this program but it would take probably a long time to do in my spare time. Or should I risk it and get version 10 and persevere...

What would you lot do?

Originally posted by Gazzamataz

I got my mits on version 9/9.5 and became disillusioned, it s

for the god sake stay away from Crush.Inc 's AM
maybe you shouldn't listen me or others,but
I must warn you of AM

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37741&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
http://www.gcharb.com/tutorials/index.htm

I got MAYA PLE and work through tuts
There is whole bunch of professional free tutorials movies files DVD's,CD's,VHS's... very good manual/documentation...
You can really speed up your learning curve and get job in studio in year or two;maya is defacto standard in many studio
I visited job board and they look for maya people,check for yourself
And it is cheap 1695$USA
Nobody uses anymore AM,they are dieing as dinos
And consider Electric Image Universe (EIU),defenitely the best and fastest renderer around
Have nurbs,poligons and bezier and Amorphine modeling
Modeler is damn good and far fasterthan AM, fully stabil,and ,you don't have to do this scarcy point, click,save,point,click,save...
because of crush
Check out EIU character work and that of AM and compare for youself which one is real production tool
for some reasinable time span if you work under deadline
or you are hobby/home user that is okay have a joy

www.electricimage.com
www.dvgarage.com
www.

Hookflash
01-23-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by pabitel
If you have $7,000 to spend and an additional $1,500 per year for maintenance, buy Maya.

Maya Complete is $1999, which seems quite reasonable.

Wegg
01-23-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Hookflash
Maya Complete is $1999, which seems quite reasonable.

Quite reasonable for who!?! Sheesh. . . I could throw a lot of extra machines on our renderfarm for that kinda money. . .

Hookflash
01-23-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by weggingt
Quite reasonable for who!?! Sheesh. . . I could throw a lot of extra machines on our renderfarm for that kinda money. . .

Quite reasonable for max users?;) I kinda feel sorry for people who bought Maya at the old price, though.

pabitel
01-24-2003, 12:41 AM
Take a look at what's included in "Complete." You'll soon see it isn't very complete at all -- and that if you want to do anything serious you'll need to get Unlimited.

Hookflash
01-24-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by pabitel
Take a look at what's included in "Complete." You'll soon see it isn't very complete at all -- and that if you want to do anything serious you'll need to get Unlimited.

Have you seen the feature list of Maya 4.5 Complete? What exactly is it missing that you would "need"?

jaymackey
01-24-2003, 03:48 AM
Maya 4.5 Complete has everything 4.0 Unlimited had, I believe, or at least the major adders. Certainly, 4.5 Complete is pretty darn complete in any case.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.