PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell ~ Render MXM gallery

Renzsu
08-09-2006, 03:08 PM
a new website that allows people to share their Maxwell Render materials.

"MAXWELL MATERIALS EXCHANGE WEBSITE ONLINE NOW

Next Limit Technologies is pleased to announce the launch of a ground-breaking Maxwell Materials Exchange (MXM) website for its render engine Maxwell Render, The Light Simulator.
http://mxmgallery.maxwellrender.com (http://mxmgallery.maxwellrender.com/)

The site has been created as a meeting point for those who want to share their Maxwell materials with other users. You will find hundreds of stunningly realistic materials to use in your scenes. And the good news is: you get it all for free.

The materials work cross-platform so that it does not matter in which application they have been created. All materials can be used in any other application, by any other user.

All you have to do is go to the website and get registered. Once thatís done, you can go ahead and upload and download as many materials as you like. This is your chance to share your impressive creations and learn from the talents of others. Please also have a look at the material upload instructions on the left-hand side of the page.

http://mxmgallery.maxwellrender.com (http://mxmgallery.maxwellrender.com/) See you at MXM!

Please note that you can access the materials website through the Download menu at www.maxwellrender.com, (http://www.maxwellrender.com,/) clicking on Material Libraries.

Kind regards,

Juan"

http://mxmgallery.maxwellrender.com/index.php

ThomasMahler
08-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Wow. That's neat. I'm not a Maxwell user, but heck, this is really, really nice.

Geta-Ve
08-10-2006, 02:12 AM
Makes me want to switch to maxwell!

KOKE
08-10-2006, 05:11 AM
The quality of the materials is incedible, Maxwell is really powerful.

I am very impressed.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:D

JK.

oskiki
08-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Maxwell Rocks :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Maven
08-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Yes the materials are really really good and the renders are great. BUT, my issue with Maxwell is how freaking slow it is....it's mind numbing slow...

Jozvex
08-10-2006, 12:58 PM
No doubt, it's slow but the speed has increased a lot since `the beta` and even since version one. Something will get us to good speed eventually, though it'll probably be hardware, hehe. And hey it's only mind numbing if you watch it render all the way!

bluemagicuk
08-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Correct me if im wrong but

The bad

Ok as a maya user of 5 years - I have been using MW 1.1 for a few days now and no it isnt easier because they use realworld values it is actually more difficult to learn than mental ray was for me. This is mainly because the gui lacks features that are common in other renderers like mental ray.

2-It is also really really slow
3-You cant repeat texture uv coordinates either in maya or maxwell
4-It crashes a lot when you use high res textures
5-It crashes a lot
6-It is complete crap if you want to use it for animation designed to composote in say after effects (not enough features and waaay to slow without a renderfarm)
7- I have had to use the command line scripting to render out sequences of frames which is a pain as it should work straight out the box.
8- The maya plugin is buggy and it is not easy to transfer animated geometry (you can but its not easy)
9- None of the maya materials will export to mw including photo textures.
10- Mapping photographic textures has so far to me been the biggest setback.

I think it is superb for stills if you are happy to rely on the library of materials you are given but if you want to texture something out of your imagination ... well so far for me it has been pretty mind numbingly difficult and fruitless.

So far as i can see, it is just a fancy turntable renderer lol .

The good

I would sell my left leg for it if it had -
1- A easy smooth bug free maya install
2- 2 or 3 times faster
3- Had more relevant features for rendering animations with composoting in mind. (Or at least more than 5
4- Better texturing facilities

Other than that the lighting simulations have been spot on ... even with some of the quick-crappy models i have built for tests it reads and renders geometry very well.

Jozvex
08-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Correct me if im wrong but

The bad

Ok as a maya user of 5 years - I have been using MW 1.1 for a few days now and no it isnt easier because they use realworld values it is actually more difficult to learn than mental ray was for me. This is mainly because the gui lacks features that are common in other renderers like mental ray.

GUI controls like what? Sampling/FG/GI/photons/radii/tracing/lightmaps/occlusion/temporal/spacial/quasi monte carlo/bsp tree/dithering/rayrc kind of easier things?

:p

3-You cant repeat texture uv coordinates either in maya or maxwell

In Maxwell Studio the tiling options are in the dialog where you load in the texture. In Maya you should just be able to unwrap the UVs normally.

4-It crashes a lot when you use high res textures
5-It crashes a lot

Hmm I don't experience things like that, what are you running on?

6-It is complete crap if you want to use it for animation designed to composote in say after effects (not enough features and waaay to slow without a renderfarm)
7- I have had to use the command line scripting to render out sequences of frames which is a pain as it should work straight out the box.

Does a cement mixer render animations out of the box? Neither product claim to or support such features yet, hence the crapness.

9- None of the maya materials will export to mw including photo textures.

Maya materials are not converted at this stage, no, which is why it's not advertised as doing so.

bluemagicuk
08-10-2006, 08:08 PM
I am new to mw so bear with me :P

GUI controls like what? Sampling/FG/GI/photons/radii/tracing/lightmaps/occlusion/temporal/spacial/quasi monte carlo/bsp tree/dithering/rayrc kind of easier things?
:p
quasi monte carlo .. lol

The app (Gui) just feels empty ... i have obviously missed the uv stuff as you mentioned but it still feels empty.

Its the little things like -
- Like being able to turn individual attributes like shadows on/off on a per object basis.
- Baking textures would be nice.
- Light linking
- Rendering out a greater range of layers not just colour, alpha, object ID, velocity, z buffer and material id.
- The ability to animate textures (perhaps uv button you mentioned does that)
- OpenGL preview of textures on maxwell shaders in Maya

Dont you think that theres lots of things that would improve it ... the main problem i have is speed and not being able to get uv's set up all nice and pretty either in mw or maya i dont care.

In Maxwell Studio the tiling options are in the dialog where you load in the texture. In Maya you should just be able to unwrap the UVs normally.
I cant find it.
I am not able to create a mx material in maya, assign a photograph to it and then export it back to mw ... it just doesnt work ive tried tonnes of things. (awaiting email support) but feel free to let me know or where this loading dialogue in mw is if you have a minute as i cant see anything that says anything about uv coordinates in mw.
I can load a texture by going into
material editor>
basics>
tick full wizard>
map the digital image there> (and bump and rough)
But i cant find this uv tiling option.:shrug:

.... in any case at least i know it exists :)

I dont have problems with uv's in maya .. its the exporting it back into maxwell where im stuck.

Re: MW crashing. Hmm I don't experience things like that, what are you running on?
WinXP 32
amd x2 4200 dual core
2 gig ram
geforce 7800

Does a cement mixer render animations out of the box? Neither product claim to or support such features yet, hence the crapness.
Yea true ... i suppose the animation vids on site werent very misleading ... i was just hoping for more animation controlls in maxwell but batch rendering out a bunch of maxwell files from maya and then command line rendering them would work ok, if it was faster :twisted: Mu ha ha ha

Ps have you tried the distributed rendering of a single frame over a network and is it fast?

Jozvex
08-11-2006, 01:07 AM
I am new to mw so bear with me :P

That's ok!

quasi monte carlo .. lol

Ok ok so that was a bit of an exaggeration but you'd see that in VRay or Brazil!

The app (Gui) just feels empty ... i have obviously missed the uv stuff as you mentioned but it still feels empty.

Its the little things like -
- Like being able to turn individual attributes like shadows on/off on a per object basis.
- Baking textures would be nice.
- Light linking
- Rendering out a greater range of layers not just colour, alpha, object ID, velocity, z buffer and material id.
- The ability to animate textures (perhaps uv button you mentioned does that)
- OpenGL preview of textures on maxwell shaders in Maya

Unfortunately some of those things completely contradict the idea behind Maxwell. Maxwell is aimed at being totally physically correct and a true simulation of light/surfaces. The Maxwell philosophy would ask "Can you turn off shadows in real life? Can you link lights in real life? If no, then neither should you be able to in Maxwell". Baking textures is something I really really want too, I'm not sure how easy it'll be to implement though. Rendering out layers is also hard (from my perspective as NOT a developer) for Maxwell too, because in Maxwell you don't have 'shadows', 'reflections' or other things like that which are defined as a separate things in other renderers. You just have 'light' and all the different ways it shows up. I don't think you can animate UVs right now unless you do it in Maya and then do the scripted batch rendering. Maxwell has 0 animation ability so far apart from the Emixer feature for animating light intensities during/after the render. OpenGL texture preview in Maya would be nice, keep in mind though that we only just got this feature for Mental Ray after so many versions, and Maxwell is very new and needs to cater to many many plugin apps.

I am not able to create a mx material in maya, assign a photograph to it and then export it back to mw ... it just doesnt work ive tried tonnes of things. (awaiting email support) but feel free to let me know or where this loading dialogue in mw is if you have a minute as i cant see anything that says anything about uv coordinates in mw.

Ok, you're right that the way you're doing it doesn't work. The two workflows are:

1. Do everything in Maya, and render from Maya.

or

2. Model (including the lights) and do the UVs in Maya, then export those models into Maxwell Studio for material creation and rendering.

I can load a texture by going into
material editor>
basics>
tick full wizard>
map the digital image there> (and bump and rough)
But i cant find this uv tiling option.:shrug:

Ok, so you're using a wizard. Maybe this is something I can bring up on the ATeam forums. Perhaps the wizards should allow you to set the tiling of a texture during the wizard, or at least remind you where to do it afterwards. When you load a texture the 'normal' non-wizardy way, you just click on one of the mapping buttons next to an attribute (same as in Maya), choose your file and then you get options for tiling, invert texture etc. So in your case, follow the wizard through making the material, then click on the mapping button for the attribute that needs tiling. In that new dialog you'll see a preview of the texture and the controls for it.

WinXP 32
amd x2 4200 dual core
2 gig ram
geforce 7800

Almost the same as me! I'm X2 4200, 2 gig of ram, 7800GT but WinXP 64. Do you have service pack 2 installed for Windows? Maxwell 1.1 needs it.

Ps have you tried the distributed rendering of a single frame over a network and is it fast?

Yes I've used it a couple of times, though I only have 2 computers and the older one is quite slow, hehe. Asking if it's fast, it depends entirely on the computers you use. The way Maxwell does distributed rendering is that each computer renders the whole scene as if it were the only one rendering it. Then when they reach their Sample Level or Time goal (or if you stop them) they merge all the gathered light data into 1 file. It's not like bucket rendering where they render parts of the image each.

So if you have two identical machines, you should be able to render about twice as fast. You give each computer a different 'seed' so that they randomly calculate the light differently to each other, then they combine the results.

The theory is that Sample Level 10 (for example) reached on 1 PC alone should = Sample Level 5 reached on 2 PCs and then combined, only they take half the time.

:thumbsup:

bluemagicuk
08-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Jozvex

I know you were exagerating about the quasi thing .. its just a funny term i laughed at the term :P sorry i should have explained. I know your an expert when it comes to rendering.

Thanks for the gentle guidance i found the uv tilling option. The feature is lacking imho.

As for being phsically correct and unbiased in terms of real life sims ... i guess it is a novelty that I will have to get used to .... im stubborn and stuck in my ways :) but i will evolve.
I suppose it is liberating.

Im still having teething issues with the maya workflow that you mentioned but if i can work out the texture problems i think it will have been worthwhile to have learnt maxwell. Some of the renders ive done have been real eye openers to the positive possibilities of the app.

As for the distributed rendering .. yea i read about the merge method in the help files, it sounds awesome i will probably give that a go on sunday morning to wake me up :P Unfortunatly my other 2 pc's are er also not quite like my amd x2 lol

yolao
08-13-2006, 04:43 PM
how it manage the displacement?...

thanks

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2006, 04:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.