PDA

View Full Version : Moire patterns...

halfworld
08-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to tap a knowledge vein here...

Having a lot of problems ridding myself of some moire patterns on the attached objects (steel water features).

I've tried the usual stuff; No bump, Increased AA (even tried Max. settings!). Render large then shrink down (photoshop aa). None help.

The problem is an interesting one because these objects used to render perfectly, however they were 1.8million polys in total (there are over twenty of them) - So we remodelled them maintaining the same form factor, this time the poly total was 183,000 - And thats when the moire patterns appeared...

Just wondering if there is a solution short of removing discs.

Poly count? Moire patterns? Connection? Discuss ;)
Ian

3DArtZ
08-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Maybe try turning down how much light is hitting it.

that would reduce the detail that the render is showing internally on the structure.
edit.... also, I have heard that less anti aliasing in these particular instances can help more than increasing the anti-aliasing....

Mike Fitz
www.3dartz.com (http://www.3dartz.com/)

Igors
08-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Hi, IanPoly count? Moire patterns? Connection? Discuss ;)Need to see the "patient", please upload prj.

halfworld
08-09-2006, 05:38 PM
I've emailed you the model.

Cheers!
Ian

Igors
08-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Hi, IanI've emailed you the model.We've seen it. In our opinion there is nothing "criminal" in model and/or render. The moire is normal (and visible in real life too) if a model is a series of shutters. See no sense to use higher AA if it's "planned" by geometry

manuel
08-10-2006, 12:54 PM
If you apply a noise bump map to it, wouldn't that make the effect less obvious?

halfworld
08-10-2006, 04:58 PM
No unfortunately not.

Also thanks for taking a look Igors, we will think on the problem because visually, we don't want them.

Cheers,
Ian

edit: missing words

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2006, 04:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.