PDA

View Full Version : shadow catching

Scott212
08-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Hey gang,

I've just got into Vue and am having great success so far. I would like to use it to generate only vegetation, not ground surfaces. My workflow is this: shoot a background plate, shoot an HDRI, light some trees in Vue with the hdri to match the plate and render in passes. My question is how do you keep the shadows cast on the ground, but lose the color information? I've spit out a shadow pass, but its some un-antialiased direct shadow type of thing, not really that useable. Any tips on this??

Thanks

davey1
08-09-2006, 02:27 AM
The shadows are antialiased in the shadow pass but you may need to up your quality settings to notice it. The main problem is getting indirect shadows.

I have been avoiding the gbuffer and using "only shadows" selected in the advanced materials dialog. The only problem is applying this effect to an entire forest of trees with unique textures. If you are cloning trees, they should share the same textures but if you are adding new ones, you will have to change each tree's setting in the material editor.

Hope that helps

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2006, 02:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.