PDA

View Full Version : 6 hours to render 323 frames

digikris
08-08-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm rendered 323 frames it took 6 hours. Is there any better way to do it. I have MacG5 with 8 gb ram and dual 2.7ghz cpu. Anybody with fine tuning ideas to reduce the render hours?

thank you
dk

pixelmonk
08-08-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm rendered 323 frames it took 6 hours. Is there any better way to do it. I have MacG5 with 8 gb ram and dual 2.7ghz cpu. Anybody with fine tuning ideas to reduce the render hours?

thank you
dk

heh welcome to the world of rendering. Worst I've had has been 10 frames per hour for Mental ray and that wans't even pushing it. :)

Check your anti-aliasing samples. Check your shadows/quality. Check any motion blur settings. Check to see if anythign else is running on the Mac, including those dopey screensavers. check Radiosity settings. Check anything and everything. Do test renders when you tweak settings to see what the render time impact is.

richcz3
08-08-2006, 09:36 PM
CHECK this LINK on Reducing Render Times (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=242188&highlight=richcz3)
Depending on what kind of lighting you using GI, Radiosity and all, there are various control in render quality that can be optimized (turned down) to significantly reduce your render times.

digikris
08-09-2006, 05:44 AM
Changed the parameters it helped a little bit but still need to change a lot. I think i will try saving in targa files. That will be much more better.

Caine777
08-15-2006, 04:21 AM
You haven't said a lot about your animation, so it's kinda hard to give advice.

What atmosphere and lighting are you using? A volumetric atmosphere and radiosity will really affect render times. For animations I find that using GI instead of radiosity works really well in most cases.

HannesJ
08-15-2006, 07:30 AM
What do you expect? 6 hours for 323 frames is a reasonable time. Remember that the rendering of a single cgframe of some blockbuster movies took more than 40 hours.

Greetings
Hannes

Ed Bittner
08-19-2006, 03:10 PM
My personal code.........No more than 20min per frame. If needed, render in blocks overnight then connect in an editing app.

E.

VM
08-21-2006, 12:02 AM
wow, so what kind of rendering times do you guys hit anyway? I think less than 2 minutes per frame is fantastic! I saw images rendered with Vue and at that complexity, to hear someone complain about rendering less than 2 minutes per frame... it's shocking! do you normally render at 10, 20 seconds per frame? I know Vue must be exaggerately efficient at rendering procedural environments, but I didn't dare to imagine it's THAT efficient! wow! I definitely have to give it a spin.

digikris
08-28-2006, 09:12 PM
It took 40 hours to render 1000 frames using Targa files. But my system didn't crash i used photoshop and shake when it was rendering. It didn't block my productivity anyway. I will post you the footage tomorrow here.

Zardoz
08-30-2006, 12:19 PM
you said that it took 6 hours to render 323 frames...it's about 1,1 minute per frame... that seems pretty good to me...better than this only realtime...

IvanB
08-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Hi there..

I hope im not out of line here, but can I suggest a render farm (yes I know it can get expensive, but its so worth it). I have 5 pc 4x 2.4gig p4 256 ram (old ex office pc @ just under $400 Aud, I had to get a 4 way switcher $100 and a hub $50) and my host @ 2.8gig 2gig ram..I have a scene with heaps o trees that goes for 200 frames...Each frame took about 10 to 15 mins each to render and it took 4 hours to complete, that would have been 20 hours with one, and the quality is awsome..something I wouldn't have thought of doing with just one...the longest render I did was MAX 4 mins a frame. What I'm trying to say is that you can then go for heaps better quality v time with a farm..I'm also thinking heaps o time will be needed for rendering clouds and stuff in Vue 6.

Caine777
08-30-2006, 02:19 PM
No you said that it took 6 hours to render 323 frames...it's about 1,1 minute per frame... that seems pretty good to me...better than this only realtime...
Yeah, that's really good, actually. But then again, I'm using a really, really old computer with only 512 MB of RAM, so rendering takes ages for me.

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2006, 02:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.