PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk still commited to innovation! Duncan's presentation of Unified Dynamics

oktawu
08-08-2006, 03:52 PM
i did a search on the forum but didn't find anything on the subject so here goes:

i bumped into Jeremy Birn's siggy report (http://3drender.com/jobs/sig06/index.htm) and i was pretty much impressed with what he said about Duncan Brinsmead's presentation
It seems he showed some kind of preview for a new unified dynamics technology the boys at autodesk (former alias scientists) are working at for maya
now, as i haven't been at siggrapgh (and many of us probably haven't) i was curios if anyone can shed some light into the presentation, some details maybe, etc...
jeremy also has a link to some screenshots from the presentation: (http://www.cgtalk.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=13728)
and they look pretty amazing, kinda feels like the whole houdini dop system that came with version 8, just way more powerful (it seems it will support fluids as well) and artist friendly

note: reminds me of those papers Ron Fedkiw had a couple of years back, with fluids,rigids and soft integration...wonder if he or ilm r&d had anything to do with this....

what do u ppl think?

Tan
08-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Interesting. I wonder if that image of crumpled cloth equals a new engine for this sort of thing.

How would it compare with Syflex? I guess time will tell.

unchikun
08-08-2006, 04:48 PM
The Duncan demo at the user group meeting was definately impressive. I heard the physics engine was licensed, or was it developed in house. Can anyone confirm?

marcinm
08-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Maybe it's the same Unified Solver which is presented by Jos Stam ?

http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/events/EG06/speakers.php

RobertoOrtiz
08-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Well in the Autodesk presentation they mentioned that the unfieid dynamic solution would be called Nucleus (maybe a development name) and it be for BOTH Max and Maya.

-R

Duncan
08-08-2006, 06:46 PM
This solver is being developed in house, and Jos Stam is handling most of the core work. It will first appear inside Maya(no eta on this), but is being developed in a platform independant fashion.

Duncan

almux
08-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Wow! All this 3D stuff gets more and more crazy!!
Finally we'll got an helmet and here will poor out our imagination all by itself!! lol lol

sacslacker
08-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Wow, that's exciting stuff. I guess I don't feel worried about updating my platinum membership now. I was getting worried about inovation but this is killer news. Lets hope we get to get our hands on this this year or early 2007.

unchikun
08-08-2006, 08:41 PM
This solver is being developed in house, and Jos Stam is handling most of the core work.

Thanks for the clarification. I always see fantastic research and wondered why so and so company doesnt get them on board.... looking forward to Jos Stams work implemented in maya!

FloydBishop
08-08-2006, 11:44 PM
The presentation was very cool. I can't wait until all this stuff gets implemented.

Kthulhu
08-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Excuse me, but is there any online materials/media from this presentation?

PS: Duncan, will it be _stable_, tell us? ;) Ron Fedkiw dynamics were pretty impressive, can we hope to get similar stability?

CIM
08-09-2006, 03:12 AM
It's good to see they're still developing their own technology and not just licensing 3rd party stuff.

mustique
08-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Jos is tha man!

KidderD
08-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Excuse me, but is there any online materials/media from this presentation?

PS: Duncan, will it be _stable_, tell us? ;) Ron Fedkiw dynamics were pretty impressive, can we hope to get similar stability?

Haha... AutoDESK hasn't even shown online media for the released Maya 8, and you think that they are gonna show information about an r&d project?

Still awesome to hear from Big D on this, hope they are treating you well at AliasDESK!

Kthulhu
08-10-2006, 05:35 PM
I just hope that the wave of changes will not stop at 8.5 and will advance further.
8.0 going very nice, they reworked whole menu system, organised string resources in mel.

PS: Unfortunately autodesk also introduced some undocumented mel commands, which is very bad sign.

martinw
08-10-2006, 08:18 PM
PS: Unfortunately autodesk also introduced some undocumented mel commands, which is very bad sign.

Not sure it's worth getting so stressed about. Can you list the undocumented mel commands you have found?

frogspasm
08-10-2006, 08:59 PM

Dude,
There have ALWAYS been undocumented mel commands.
Sometimes either stuff falls through the cracks, or things are added that haven't been thoroughly tested so they don't want to list it as a feature.

~M

kiaran
08-10-2006, 09:12 PM
This solver is being developed in house, and Jos Stam is handling most of the core work.

This is exciting news indeed! Maya's dynamics have been in need of some attention for quite a while now. XSI's Novodex engine properly spanks anything Maya can do with rigid bodies.

JupiterSunset
08-10-2006, 10:37 PM
haven't testet it yet, but there is a beta for maya:
http://www.feelingsoftware.com/content/view/45/67/lang,en/
(you have to sign up)

and an older version at highend:
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/plugins/dynamics/3856.html

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2006, 10:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.