PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop or Painter

aggie93
08-08-2006, 03:57 PM
I am fixing to buy digital software. I am new and will more than like paint more than do photo manips. I have no experience in digital painting. What is everyones preference with reasons, please?

BeckyWC
08-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Why not just download the trial versions of both painter and photoshop and see which one you prefer.

aggie93
08-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Why not just download the trial versions of both painter and photoshop and see which one you prefer.

Becky - I would but I am ordering my computer online in a few days and I can have it packaged with it. I have tried the trial of painter, but it will be difficult to try and master it in a short time. Thanks though!

Rebeccak
08-08-2006, 09:29 PM
aggie,

If you need an all around image editor, then PS is for you. Of course Painter is better for painterly effects, but frankly you can purchase a cheap program like Art Rage ($20) to experiment with brushstrokes. For my money, I would get PS as it's image editing capability is beyond compare.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Rist
08-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Painter might have the eyecandy, but photoshop has the utility. You will love photoshop for more than just art.

pierceda
08-09-2006, 02:41 AM
Photoshop defines digital art, Painter simulates traditional art. Depending on your experience or inexperience with traditional art, either Photoshop or Painter may be eaiser for you.

With some experience with custom brushes and brush settings in Photoshop, you can develop a very painterly brushy look. However, Photoshop is the digital approach and it uses its own vocabulary and methods for doing things that have no real equivalent in traditional mediums.

Painter is about simulating real mediums and the end result can be messy and unpredictable if you don't know what you're doing, or if you don't like the way Painter simulates it. Some brushes create water layers, others make thick impasto, and many will merge and mix colors together in strokes.

aggie93
08-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments. I went with Painter. Mostly the cost, but also the idea of it closely resembles the traditional method as pierceda explained is the reason behind my choice. Once I get my new computer and have time to practice I will post my work. Thanks again guys.

Rebeccak
08-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Heya Aggie,

Can't wait to see what you can do! :thumbsup:

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

koshime
08-14-2006, 11:22 PM
i use both avidly ..but still go back to photshop daily...*grin*

Digitalpaint
08-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Just finished my first Painter painting and I must say that I love the great variety of blending options. Much easier than painting in PS But itís true: I first had to learn a lot before getting any pleasing results because the approach is very different. Both are great programs to get your idea's visualised.
Good luck

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2006, 09:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.