PDA

View Full Version : how do I add the frame number to my Playblasts?

jason108
08-08-2006, 04:15 AM
Hi

I've seen some playblasts on here I think with the frame numbers counting up as the video plays. Is this possible in Maya's playblast to get a frame counter appear on the render? Is there a mel script for that?

thanks
Jason

jason108
08-08-2006, 04:32 AM
ie:

http://www.davidsloss.net/weblog/images/am_movies/class_04/good_thing.html

thanks

randomsheep
08-08-2006, 05:39 AM
Could use something like this:

headsUpDisplay
-section 9
-block 4
-blockSize "small"
-label "Frame:"
-labelFontSize "small"
-command "currentTime -q"
-attachToRefresh
myFrameCounter;

and to delete it later:

headsUpDisplay -rem myFrameCounter;

Loolarge
08-08-2006, 07:15 AM
Good to know that. And nice animation there jason!

jason108
08-14-2006, 02:37 AM
Sorry RandomSheep I'm a bit confused as to how I use your information.

Would it be possible, when you get a chance, to dumb it down a bit for me?

Thanks for your time.

earlyworm
08-14-2006, 03:22 AM
RandomSheep offered you a piece of mel code...

The idea is you copy those lines, paste them into your script editor and then run them.

Lines starting with // will not be evaluated.

Look up the mel command headsUpDisplay in the docs, and you'll see how you can customise this to suit your needs by changing the options of the command.

//First select this piece of text, and paste it into your script editor.
headsUpDisplay
-section 9
-block 4
-blockSize "small"
-labelFontSize "small"
-attachToRefresh
myFrameCounter;

//Then run this line to remove the headsUpDisplay.

Inker123
08-14-2006, 03:24 AM
Could use something like this:

headsUpDisplay
-section 9
-block 4
-blockSize "small"
-labelFontSize "small"
-attachToRefresh
myFrameCounter;

and to delete it later:

That didn't work. The frame number didnt update until the animation had stopped. A playblast said "Frame 1" all the way through.

sacslacker
08-14-2006, 03:38 AM
Works perfectly here. Maya 7

Navi
08-14-2006, 06:11 AM
Here's a script that I wrote to ease the pain of using Heads up Display to display various types of information. It's as easy as typing in your info or checking a box and you can choose to place the item where ever you want. (well almost) You can download it here... vV_hudControl.mel (http://trivi.org/?page_id=76)

amannin
08-14-2006, 07:31 AM
anyway to get the frame count to display on a render?

randomsheep
08-14-2006, 08:23 AM
jason108 - sorry for no reply, have been a bit bizzy.. thanks earlyworm for replying :D

amannin - yup.. in playblast options, check the "Show Ornaments" box should work :D

Navi - Nice script.. very user friendly :D

amannin
08-15-2006, 03:36 AM
amannin - yup.. in playblast options, check the "Show Ornaments" box should work

I meant as a final render, i.e. with MR or Software.

randomsheep
08-15-2006, 04:41 AM
Just interested, why you would want frame numbers in a final render? I mean, you can line frames up in compositing right?

amannin
08-15-2006, 05:29 AM
errr, i don't have any compositing software at home -- i just have quicktime pro -- so a frame count on the final render would be beneficial for me.

i know i could just do a playblast -- but unfortunately playblasting won't give me acurate lighting or shadows etc...

btw, quicktime pro allows me to import an image sequence, then export it as a .mov with any quicktime compression i like (H264 seems to be the best).

Navi
08-15-2006, 07:13 AM
I'm sure there's already a script that probably does this already. Well it probably wouldn't be too hard to write if there isn't already. Try searching renderable HUD or FrameNumber?

revilo3D
08-15-2006, 11:03 AM
There is a way of driving text to update.. ive seen it in one of my buddies reel.. yo sheep - ask O ;)

amannin
08-15-2006, 06:45 PM
nothing on highend3d or here that i could find --- but no biggy, its not super critical -- though, if you wanted to, i wouldn't stop you from scripting something.

randomsheep
08-15-2006, 08:33 PM
There is a way of driving text to update.. ive seen it in one of my buddies reel.. yo sheep - ask O ;)

Yeh im sure i seen that, or something like it.. Think ive found away.. will try make something after work.. :D

randomsheep
08-16-2006, 06:11 AM
Hey, I made a script that makes geo numbers (so you can render them) which can update on each frame.
You can change the scale rotation and translate to where-ever you want and they will update with no problem.

can download at: http://random.sheep.googlepages.com/frameRenderOnePointZero.mel

amannin
08-17-2006, 12:42 AM
thanks randomsheep -- but when i execute the script, nothing happens...? i'm using maya 7.0.

Navi
08-17-2006, 01:01 AM
I'm on Maya 7.0 as well and it worked ok for me. Type in "frameRender;" (without the quotes of course) and a window pops up. Click create and autoupdate and you can scale and move the text where ever you want.

Randomsheep - nice script by the way.

amannin
08-17-2006, 01:12 AM
thank you Navi --- i obviously don't use mel scripts that often.

and THANK YOU randomsheep, works great.

randomsheep
08-17-2006, 03:39 AM
all good.. sorry, I should of been a bit more descriptive on how to use it.. but seems ya got it working.. :D

AjaBogdanoff
09-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Oh weird, I just came across this thread looking for something else. I was having this problem, too, so my husband wrote an Applescript (I'm on a Mac) this weekend that puts frame numbers on QT movies. Here's two and a half minutes of just the frame numbers, you can open the (apparently blank, but the numbers are there) movie in QT pro, copy the movie, and add it to your film, and it'll put the numbers over it. This one only works with 24fps movies, it'll go out of sync with anything else.

http://ajabogdanoff.com/files/framenumbers.mov

And that animation in the second post was made by my classmate and all-around-excellent-fellow David Sloss, by the way. :)

kruugs
09-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Hey Randomsheep or anyone,

That simple script you put up is all I am looking for. Is there anyway you or I can change it so the number appears bigger on the screen?

Thank you.

randomsheep
09-07-2006, 01:27 AM
^^ yup, scale it... can rotate it, scale it translate it.. pull verts if u realy want.. was going to make a scale slider, but thourght no point, when you can just do that with the scale manip.. :D

kruugs
09-07-2006, 02:08 AM
I tried to click on it, I can't seem to select it so I can scale it? I must be doing something wrong. Any idea?

Thank you for your quick response.

randomsheep
09-07-2006, 03:12 AM
you in object mode?
didnt put it in a refrenced layer?

... should work ... try in a fresh scene, and see if it works in there..
lemme know if it still dosnt work. :D

kruugs
09-07-2006, 03:49 AM
I tried it in a new scene and i still couldn't get it to work.

All I am doing is copy and pasting it into the script editor, and then 'executing' it.

It shows up but I still can't select it. :shrug:

mzee
09-07-2006, 11:39 AM
There is a really cool script on highend3d.

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/utility_external/misc/2079.html

works fine for me. :thumbsup:

cheers,

mzee

kruugs
09-08-2006, 02:34 AM
Thank You mzze!

Randomsheep, thank you for your help too.

randomsheep
09-10-2006, 11:32 PM
i'd like to know why you cant select it (anyone know?) i've had no problems with it, and as far as i know noone else has that i've given it to..

CGTalk Moderation
09-10-2006, 11:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.