PDA

View Full Version : Apple completes switch to Intel chips

RobertoOrtiz
08-08-2006, 01:31 AM
Quote:
"Apple Computer Inc. completed its switch to Intel Corp. microprocessors and previewed its next-generation operating system Monday, shifting attention for the moment from the company's troubles surrounding the mishandling of stock options."

>>LINK<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060807/ap_on_hi_te/apple_developers)

-R

Rikof
08-08-2006, 03:13 PM
I'll just skip the frase about the stock mistreathment, has nothing to do with the new Mac pro's (I think), but how sweet they look!

To bad there's *still* no UB Photoshop, and a *lot* of the (mostly free) Cinema4D plug-ins need to be recompiled. And I just can't imagine how I'd survive without quick pipe for example. Or the city plug-in.

Thalaxis
08-08-2006, 06:54 PM
I'll just skip the frase about the stock mistreathment, has nothing to do with the new Mac pro's (I think), but how sweet they look!

What surprises me is their prices -- i.e. that they're competitive, rather than overpriced. Not that I believe Jobs' claim that a comparable Dell would cost $1000 more, but that doesn't change the fact that their prices now are pretty much in line with regular PC pricing now.

To bad there's *still* no UB Photoshop, and a *lot* of the (mostly free) Cinema4D plug-ins need to be recompiled. And I just can't imagine how I'd survive without quick pipe for example. Or the city plug-in.

Well, there's always Parallels to hold you over. Personally, I think Adobe is just being lazy, since they're still using a memory management model for Photoshop that hailed back to the days before even Windows NT -- which is to say, when the OS's themselves had NO memory management. I'll leave it as an excercise to reader to decide whether or not the six years since OSX launched should have been enough time to modernize Photoshop's memory management...

leigh
08-08-2006, 06:59 PM
After 21 years of using PCs, I am now on the verge of picking up one of the new Macbooks. Just because they look cool :D Plus I really like OSX. I never liked the older Mac operating systems, but OSX finally seems to have hit the target. Plus the fact that I can run Windows on it as well is really nifty, although I have a Dell notebook for that.

I just one a cute little Mac :D

Velk
08-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Leigh, OS 10.4 is what made me switch and I'm glad I did. Still have and run both, but I do less and less on the Windows boxes than ever.

The new hardware looks great, and the new OS looks very promising. I just hope that the fancy Time Machine can be turned off, that thing must gobble HD space.

leigh
08-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Leigh, OS 10.4 is what made me switch and I'm glad I did. Still have and run both, but I do less and less on the Windows boxes than ever.

Yeah I am looking forward to learning the ins and outs of OSX. I am hoping to get my Macbook sometime in the next week or so... it seems all the local retail outlets are out of stock right now, so I am just waiting.

DizzyJ
08-08-2006, 08:04 PM
I just hope that the fancy Time Machine can be turned off, that thing must gobble HD space.

I have a feeling that Timemachine will end up being like File Vault, which I've never heard about anyone using. They're both great ideas, but the execution looks to be wanting. That said, File Vault is off by default (erm, I think). On the other hand, Maya crashed at the start of a save on Sunday, taking out two days of work (teach me to avoid being lazy about saving up versions). With Timemachine, I'd be two days further ahead on my WIP....

And Leigh, with the exception of my mom (who loathed using a mouse, switching from DOS to OS 8), I've yet to meet a switcher who was unhappy.

beaker
08-08-2006, 10:24 PM
After 21 years of using PCs, I am now on the verge of picking up one of the new Macbooks. Just because they look cool :D Plus I really like OSX. I never liked the older Mac operating systems, but OSX finally seems to have hit the target. Plus the fact that I can run Windows on it as well is really nifty, although I have a Dell notebook for that.

I just one a cute little Mac :DI think hell just froze over. :)

Lone Deranger
08-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Welcome to the club Leigh! Better late than never. :thumbsup:
Which one did you go for? Something tells me you picked the black version?

...I hope you still have the box for your Dell. The poor thing will need it. ;)

I just one a cute little Mac :D

kurtw
08-08-2006, 11:45 PM
One thing that surprised me was the price of the mac pro. At first I thought it was ok, until someone at work pointed out that all configurations ship with dual dual-core woodcrest 4MB cache xeons. Its a very good price for a workstation, especially if you buy your own memory from a 3rd party to save a bit of money.

leigh
08-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Welcome to the club Leigh! Better late than never. :thumbsup:
Which one did you go for? Something tells me you picked the black version?

...I hope you still have the box for your Dell. The poor thing will need it. ;)

Haha! Actually my Dell is a great gaming machine, whereas the Mac isn't. So the Dell will still be used on a daily basis ;) I'm actually going for the white Macbook - I love the white ones. I did get one of the black iPods though, because I love the black ones. But when it comes to the notebooks, the white one is just sexier, in my opinion :)

beaker
08-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Its a very good price for a workstation, especially if you buy your own memory from a 3rd party to save a bit of money.Hard drives too. They charge $400 for a 500 gig drive and I constantly see good seagate 500 gig drives on sale for $200. I just hope the machine comes with all 4 drive sleds in there.

imashination
08-09-2006, 02:26 AM
Haha! Actually my Dell is a great gaming machine, whereas the Mac isn't. So the Dell will still be used on a daily basis ;) I'm actually going for the white Macbook - I love the white ones. I did get one of the black iPods though, because I love the black ones. But when it comes to the notebooks, the white one is just sexier, in my opinion :)

Just be warned that the gfx cards are utterly dire for anything other then 2d stuff. it cannot game and youll be lucky if most 3d apps will even start on it.

Aneks
08-09-2006, 06:17 AM
About to make the plunge too, bought a PC last week for games general blah. Now I am thinking of selling it to get a macPro and put a Quadro in it so I can run toxic in windows boot..... I knew they where coming but it is sooner than expected. Maybe I'll wait for the Merom laptops.

Will be nice to be able to run Shake and 3d on the same system again !

SheepFactory
08-09-2006, 06:54 AM
I really like the specs and price of the new workstation too. Definitely considering it for my next upgrade.

dan1el
08-09-2006, 07:02 AM
love it love it love it...

I'm currenly planning a way to convience my wife that we need make a loan for a MAcPro as soon as Leopard is shipped with it.

I think the price is fantastic, considering compared to my workstation I can get 64Bit dual core (instead of Hyperthreading and 32bit) great design and an up-to-date OS.
Hope that Intel will soon react to AMDs price cut ;)

DimitrisLiatsos
08-09-2006, 08:03 AM
Well from last month i own a MacBookpro (17'') and i have installed both operating systems , Osx for Maya and fun and WinXP pro for XSI . It works like a charm , not to mention that in some apps (where UB doesn't exist and rozeta is working for communication with the intel..) in OSX things are a bit slower....but this will change soon.
In Xwin XP though the thermal levels are a bit more high...maybe 'cause BOOTcamp is beta yet.

The point is that now u can have in one machine the best of the two OS worlds. And that is a good thing for us.

I wonder if they make a Bootcamp for the new Mac Pros so that someone can install WinXP64bit?!? ....

...Yes hell must be frozen ..Leigh is talking with love for a white small mac ...heheheh

kletterget
08-09-2006, 08:25 AM
...my mom (who loathed using a mouse, switching from DOS to OS 8)...

There are still DOS machines out there now (or at least when OS8 came out)? The last computer I have seen which ran on DOS was my dad's. It had a blistering processor speed of something like 15mHz (as indicated by the led display on the front), unless you turned off the "turbo" button, then it went down to a not-as-impressive 9mHz.

He said I could use it so long as I remembered to type the dos command "park" before I shut it down. Apparantly this tells the hard drive needle to park itself away from the disk, and not rest on the disk.

Aaah the memories... the 11" black and green monitor... the keyboard which had "return" on the enter key... the text based rpg's... the way you could fan yourself with the giant 11" floppy disks while you were waiting for the computer to do anything ...

...sniff...

Lone Deranger
08-09-2006, 08:34 AM
It does indeed come with all the sleds.

I did a bit of quick research on barefeats.com (http://www.barefeats.com/hard68.html) for potential 500GB drives to put in there. The Western Digital drives (WD5000KS) seems like a better choice than the Seagate. Faster and more silent (according to SPCR (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article617-page1.html)). Pretty good price too.. :)

Hard drives too. They charge $400 for a 500 gig drive and I constantly see good seagate 500 gig drives on sale for $200. I just hope the machine comes with all 4 drive sleds in there.

Thalaxis
08-09-2006, 12:31 PM
I think the price is fantastic, considering compared to my workstation I can get 64Bit dual core (instead of Hyperthreading and 32bit)

The price is pretty surprising, coming from Apple.

Hope that Intel will soon react to AMDs price cut ;)

AMD's price cut is clearly a response to Conroe, Merom, and Woodcrest. Besides, the prices for said processors are already considerably lower than they usually are for a new processor.

leigh
08-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Just be warned that the gfx cards are utterly dire for anything other then 2d stuff. it cannot game and youll be lucky if most 3d apps will even start on it.

I have absolutely no intention of trying games or CG stuff on the Mac. I have a dualcore Dell laptop with a 256mb display card for games, and I'd never do any CG on any of my laptops (I have no need or desire to do CG on a laptop). My Mac is going to be mainly for web, email, word processing, keeping my website updated, music, and such :)

lildragon
08-09-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm definitely switching once I get settled in my new diggs in the comoing days/weeks. I won't completely abandon PC's after using them for geez um over 12 yrs, but I toyed around with the new Dual Core Imacs and it was a blast. There's also an app I'm switching to Macs specifically for.
I don't game anymore on the PC since I hate having to shell out for a $300 Vid card to see the latest and greatest lighting effect :banghead: So I console for that. My comp is for work and that's it, so the with OSX 10.xx, it may just become my staple, since all the software I use runs beautifully on it :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2006, 06:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.