PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Neighborhood, A3imaging (3D)

A3Imaging
01-23-2003, 02:39 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/24926/neighborhood_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/24926/neighborhood.jpg)

Rendered in 3D Max 5.0 and freebie Vray. My first attempt in the amazingly fast Vray. No post processing.

The 4096x3072 makes me drool.

Brazil Rendertime : 45 mins 14 sec.
Vray Rendertime: 5 mins 20 sec[

fleedawg
01-23-2003, 02:45 AM
I like this, it is very good. The only thing that bothers me is the textures on the roof and the brick on the house. It looks too flat to me. But I really like plants closer to the camera (some sort of cactus) and the flying leaves are a really nice touch. Another odd thing is the flowers on the far left in the back. They look very blurry in relation to the rest of the house, but then again, I've been told I need better glasses. :)

Kev3D
01-23-2003, 07:13 AM
When I first saw this, I thought it was a photo. WOW! realism to the max!

I do, however have to agrr to the comments already said. Also, the flower bed looks a little flat.

Shaykai
01-23-2003, 07:18 AM
WOW! that is sooo fantastic. thats such good lighting! The trees, plants, everything is soo fantastic. My only critique would be gutters, shouldn't houses have gutters? I'm not sure if all houses do, its just a thought. But wow, i love it. 5 stars from me.

A3Imaging
01-23-2003, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all the good comments! Glad I posted it, I hadn't realized that the brick texture was blowing out on one side of the wall but not the other. Interesting since the walls are cube mapped. Overdid the blur effect in Max it looks like (blurry plants on far building) so no need to get glasses for you!! :thumbsup:

Time to brave the snow here,

Best wishes!

-Charles
-http://www.a3imaging.com

cuse
01-23-2003, 02:04 PM
awesome work... :)

cuse

Matt
01-23-2003, 02:33 PM
It looks like you've manually blurred the blowing leaves on the sidewalk with photoshop, because the grass around it, and other parts, are blurred as well.

I would work on the tree in the foreground as well, as it's the only thing that stands out as unrealistic.

Stylistically, it's okay, but nothing stands out and says, "I am different, look at me!" Perhaps making a before-and-after scene, with the current being how it looked in say, 1968, and do an after scene in the current time, but make the sidewalk screwed up, lighting different, tree way bigger, grass browning in places, the plants bigger or different in places, perhaps the house in the background lost it's roof in a tornado, and it has a new roof?

I would rework a lot of the textures too... Leaves in autumn typically vary in color... Those are all orange, and the trees in the far background are green.

Lighting is your strong point, as is brazil's. I would experiment more with moody lighting, to create a better scene comp.

:thumbsup:

sad
01-23-2003, 03:45 PM
quite good!
i cannot agree that it is photorealistic because there are some things that ain't perfect.

- trees in the background
you should try to rotate 'em along the y-axis. they have the same
orientation.

- textures
i'd recommend to create textures that fit the whole walls, roof, etc. the iterations are disturbing the scene.

- plants
they could use higher polycount

it is no big deal, the picture has a nice lighting.

OZ
01-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Good lights!...maybe a bit cold....but very realistic.

platypus
01-23-2003, 09:38 PM
excellent job. very close to photoreal.

the lighting does seem a bit odd, but it kinda works - looks like just before it snows.

lazyphoton
01-23-2003, 09:39 PM
I agree with the fact that lighting is good and gives a realistic result but the roof needs more geometry detail:
maybe adding rain gutters and differentiating tiles with roof structure (in real life those tiles would end up sliding down and killing some kids in their way)

I also agree with variating leaf colors, and one small coherence detail: big aloes don't grow outdoors in four season countries.

Nice work. :thumbsup:

TuLe
01-23-2003, 10:49 PM
Very nice and well executed...
there are some flaws like the sky and texturing (some more bump would help)...
But i like the whole atmosfere! Some other elements would make it a killer portrait, like a bike, toys or cars... hehhe
Imagine is the key!

Xinoz0r
01-24-2003, 12:33 AM
It looks great... what else can I say... DAMN NICE :applause:

lildragon
01-24-2003, 12:41 AM
This is excellent! The only thing I see that needs some fine tuning is the roof and the fence, the textures aren't quite living up to the quality of the render. It's superb work nonetheless :thumbsup:

You have received the CGtalk choice award . Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! awesome talent!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/award_jan_2003.jpg

P.S. if you need a different background, please send me a PM with the RGB values.

salud

liove
01-24-2003, 05:48 AM
very nice,i like the sunshine

janak
01-24-2003, 07:38 AM
Nice... but could we get to see the Brazil render as well..? :) And maybe a head to head between the two renderers settings. Sound a bit weird with that much of a difference... but maybe thatīs just me..? :D

samartin
01-24-2003, 09:03 AM
Vray Rendertime: 5 mins 20 sec

No way !!!

Oh yeah top image but with some texture issues as mentioned by other peeps... :thumbsup:

A3Imaging
01-24-2003, 01:22 PM
Many thanks for all the kind comments :bounce: and the CG Talk award. Am working on roof & brick texture as we speak! Will post an update this weekend along with a Brazil render and render times for those that are interested.

Thanks again!

-Charles T.P.
http://www.a3imaging.com

A3Imaging
01-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Here is the comparison between renderers for those that asked. Tried to set them up as similarly as possible. Rand was checked for Vray render. Still working on the dag roof too...:eek:

Picture #1: Brazil 2hrs 34 Mins (Caustics off -no secondary lighting)
Picture #2: Vray 9mins 02 secs (Fixed Rate: 2 subdivs no secondary, rand checked.)

Picture 1 - Brazil

http://www.a3imaging.com/N-Brazil.jpg

Picture 2 - Vray

http://www.a3imaging.com/N2-vray.jpg

BassoLTD
01-31-2003, 03:09 PM
NIOCE PIXLES!
:eek:

Love the rendering... Great work

~Lawrence:surprised

3dsMax51cs4
02-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Cool test, the vray render looks way better and is much faster than brazil.

lil' rothko
02-21-2003, 09:30 PM
Looks excellent. I agree with what was said before, the main giveaway is the roof. I think the main texture definately needs altering, but you know that already. I would also change the edges of the roof so that they weren't so flat and flush. Maybe make the tiling at the edge a bit more ragged.

Still, really nice work though.

:applause: :applause:

uday
02-21-2003, 09:50 PM
could you please post the BRAZIL version also?
if u have the time///:D

uday
02-21-2003, 09:51 PM
never mind.:buttrock:

TIMTHESORCERER
04-11-2004, 01:32 AM
goddamnit, gimme vray, i'm stuck with Mentalray.

boboroshi
04-12-2004, 05:40 AM
One thing that has always bugged me about Max is the trees always look chunky. Other than that, those are some MIGHTY big aloe vera plants!

The shot looks good.

Dr.Biped
08-20-2004, 08:51 AM
i enjoyed this image very much. here are a few things i thought could use some tweeking. the reflection in the window on the back house is a little uniform try to boost the contrast a little.
the focas is a little wierd im having trouble finding where the main point of focas is. maybe the back house should be a little more out of focas or the front rail, right now it looks as though just the road middle right side is out of focas.
the grass between the cracks is a really great addition. one that i would never have thought of. i dont know how i feel about the autom leaves though, i would think more plants would be turning brown if the leaves on the trees where that color. and the leaves are a little to uniform turned not all the leaves on trees turn at the same time.
all in all this is a wonderful picture i like how different it is from everything else ive seen. nope no castels here.i enjoyed this image very much. here are a few things i thought could use some tweaking. the reflection in the window on the back house is a little uniform try to boost the contrast a little.
the focus is a little weird im having trouble finding where the main point of focus is. maybe the back house should be a little more out of focus or the front rail, right now it looks as though just the road middle right side is out of focus.
the grass between the cracks is a really great addition. one that i would never have thought of. i dont know how i feel about the autumn leaves though, i would think more plants would be turning brown if the leaves on the trees where that color. and the leaves are a little to uniform turned not all the leaves on trees turn at the same time.
all in all this is a wonderful picture i like how different it is from everything else ive seen. nope no castles here.

mhsf
08-29-2004, 02:28 PM
I like your flowers.

Dead
08-30-2004, 06:51 AM
Looks like aussie summer sunlight, nice n bright.

Very good work and amazing photorealistic look

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.