PDA

View Full Version : Recomended reading...

Gamma_Bomb
01-23-2003, 12:56 AM
Just wondering if anyone can recommend some decent books to help familiarize me with the workings of a PC and Windows 2000. Any suggestions are much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Gyan
01-23-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Gamma_Bomb
Just wondering if anyone can recommend some decent books to help familiarize me with the workings of a PC and Windows 2000. Any suggestions are much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

That's a very broad question. What do you hope to do with the knowledge you want to acquire ?

Also, no book or set of books is likely to cover all the information you want at the same reading level.

Do you want to know how Windows 2000 interacts with the hardware or how the various pieces of software work with each other ?

From your wording, my feeling is that you want to know the synergy of computer operations so that you can optimize and troubleshoot situations quickly. Problem is, you can't get that from reading any number of books. You need to observe and tinker. That takes time and an adventurous bent of mind.

GregHess
01-23-2003, 02:24 AM
One of the fundamental problems with books is the time it takes them to be published. Most of the tech info you'll read in a book is either old knowledge, or guesses at future changes in technology. Its quite rare to ever see a book addressing current computer hardware...just because its near impossible with the 6-12 month publishing times. By the time its printed, its been obsolete for months.

Books can give you a basic level of understanding in the complex world of machines. The terms, parts, installation methods, and tips and tricks of OS's and programs are all available. These are only a base of understanding, and any sort of advanced learning will have to take place through experience, or at least shadowing a competent individual.

If your looking for current technology trends, hot topics in technology, or what motherboard's support a 3000+ Barton, you'll have to turn to the web.

Here are some sites to start with if your looking for computer hardware news and information.

www.anandtech.com
www.aceshardware.com
www.tech-report.com
www.2cpu.com
www.hardocp.com
www.overclockers.com
www.3dgameman.com (Videos, quite cool)
www.3dluvr.com (cough self plug)

The forum's on 2cpu.com are some of the most extensive and knowledgable on the web. Even seasoned vets find all sorts of wild tricks and tips browsing the threads.

Hope that helps.

Gamma_Bomb
01-23-2003, 03:08 AM
Yeah I'll admit that was probably a broad inquisition. Basically I am coming from a Mac background into the PC realm. I'm not comfortable with a Windows environment. I guess what I'm after is something that will show me the ropes of dealing with Windows 2K Pro. I would like to know more about the internal workings of my PC, but for now, just dealing with the OS interface and everything would do me a world of good.

Thanks for all those links Greg, much obliged.

I think what I'm after is something to help me adjust to the PC world. Strange, how a lot of people are jumping ship to the Mac world from the PC world and I'm doing the opposite. I feel like a rebel.:buttrock:

elvis
01-23-2003, 09:36 AM
windows is a lot easier than people give credit. in this day and age it's all point in click. (insert obligatory "when i was a boy we didn't have any of this GUI crap" speech).

just remember in windows: when in doubt, right click! :)

[EDIT] HAHAHA! when was i promoted to "know it all"? :)

GregHess
01-23-2003, 04:29 PM
HAHAHA! when was i promoted to "know it all"?

Happens when u reach a certain post level. You can change this line in the "my profile" button ...to something like cannon fodder #143 or something. (Luckily I got expendable peasant!)

elvis
01-23-2003, 10:17 PM
ahh... that's better. :p

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.