PDA

View Full Version : Samus (Metriod) Goes to Hollywood

Larry_g1s
01-23-2003, 01:55 AM
If you love(d) Metriod Prime for the GameCube, or any previous Metriod games for that fact, get ready to see Samus on the big silver screen. Metriod Movie announced.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/383/383379p1.html

Gamoron
01-23-2003, 05:04 AM
Cool. Love the game, hope I love the movie.

playmesumch00ns
01-23-2003, 05:37 AM
Loved Super Metroid, but a movie? Ya just know it's gonna be sh*te...

noisewar
01-23-2003, 01:43 PM
This is gonna be ruined for sure, what a shame, I'm a recent Metroid convert too.

They should have Natasha Henstridge play Samus tho.

Dreamwave
01-23-2003, 02:59 PM
hmnn :airguitar

MaDSheeP
01-23-2003, 03:57 PM
well, if they destroy the movie, then we will just ignore it, but the movie has a chance of being really cool =)

SGT.Squeaks
01-23-2003, 04:19 PM
Anyone remember super Mario! :insane: :argh:

But I will keep my hopes up, can't judge a movie unless I've seen a trailer.

bentllama
01-23-2003, 05:26 PM
My prediction: Craptastic.

rstratton
01-23-2003, 06:06 PM
sorry but if we have learned anything from the past they really haven't brought the games to the big screen with much success...i enjoyed resident evil but so far that is the only movie that it seems like they have done well on...but that is just my opinion...maybe it will be successful...we will see

erilaz
01-23-2003, 09:09 PM
The only reason they're making it is because they want to stick a hot-chick inside a metal suit. They'll probably have scenes of her getting in and out of the suit, just for tittlation.

It would be good as an anime movie!:D

bentllama
01-24-2003, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by erilaz
It would be good as an anime movie!:D

Agreed. That kind of take on it could be wicked.

[though there are plenty of other games out there with a more enthralling story]

Array
01-24-2003, 03:45 AM
well the problem with a lot of movies based off of video games is that the plots are "Americanized". Imagine a remake of Resident Evil or Mario by an American company. Chances are, theyll be about as bad as the correspnding movies. This doesnt apply to Mortal Kombat obviously, those movies were just as cheesy as the game.

Stillwell
01-24-2003, 03:46 AM
Gosh, they missed their shot with Mario and Tomb Raider, look at what they'll do to this classic...

Culann
01-24-2003, 07:24 PM
Ah well, I guess it won't be very good. I mean, it's coming from the same production company as American Pie and Final Destination, which means it will probably 'teeny-fied' somehow. Samus will subsequently be played by some US Soap dropout who thinks she can act, and I won't mention the story issues that are likely to come up. I would have loved to see a moody, japanese take on, or anything else, really, just not the version an american studio will come up with.
Does that sound pessimistic? Naaah..;)

Indolent
01-25-2003, 02:24 AM
Culann, you nailed it. Really sucks that such money-hungry hollywood suits with no artistic integrity, whatsoever, had to get ahold of my favorite videogame franchise of all time and completely bastardize it. I know I'm jumping to conclusions, but based on what I've seen from absolutely worthless pieces of pop-culture excrement like Final Destination and American Pie, I can't hold out much hope for the Metroid movie to be any good. Oh well... we'll see.

GRMac13
01-25-2003, 11:42 AM
lol, you guys sounds like a bunch of grumpy old women. Wait until they at least show a trailer before you write it off. There is definate potential there, so be a little optimistic. I'm keeping hope alive until I see some footage and plot summaries (oh, and casting of course).

Besides, Hollywood isn't alone in screwing up game to film adaptations. The Japanese did a pretty good job on their own by destroying FF. I mean the same studio that created the game created the movie (it was even directed by the same guy who invented the series). Maybe there is something about these games that just doesn't translate well to film. Or maybe nobody has tried hard enough yet (or chosen a game that has a strong enough chance of being a great film). That said, I think Tomb Raider and Res Evil were decent adaptations. I didn't see either film being much better if they adherred to the game much more than they did. I didn't think there was much in either game's plot that was more interesting than what ended up on screen anyway.

I heard a while back that Silent Hill was being considered for a film adaptation. Has any else gotten wind of this rumor? I'd love to find out if it's true or not. Now that's a game that has true potential for being a great movie. The games scared the ever living shit out of me. If it's done right, the film version could be one of the best frickin horror films ever.

Culann
01-26-2003, 11:22 AM
Ah well, I just have a weak spot for Metroid, I guess. But I really have no positive feelings about this one, it seems like they just want to cash in on the recent success of Metroid Prime. I think Ridley Scott would be a great director to make a film about a lone woman who battles aliens in space...oh wait, he's already done that! ;)
Final Fantasy... well, personally I liked the movie, but it wasn't really Final Fantasy. I think if they had adhered closer to the actual in-game stlye of setting, which is never restricted to sci-fi or fantasy but is a mixture of both, the film would have been more successful. Besides, there also was quite a bit of american involvement in the film, and I bet there were certain briefs to the japanese side to make it more sc-fi, in order to 'make it more accessible to general audiences' or something.

I did hear a Silent Hill movie was going into production, but haven't heard anything else since.

ceql
01-26-2003, 04:05 PM
heh, this was on penny-arcade reguarding movie licenses...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2003/20030124l.jpg

Culann
01-26-2003, 04:14 PM
Nice...It should be set in Russia though. ;)

Gentle Fury
01-26-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by ceql
heh, this was on penny-arcade reguarding movie licenses...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2003/20030124l.jpg

thats freakin hillarious!

Larry_g1s
01-27-2003, 05:55 PM
I haven't been to thrilled with the game-to-movie films either. But I guess I'm keeping a little optimistic cause I love the games so much. That and we haven't seen a darn thing about it. My biggest concern though was that it was from the production company as American Pie and Final Destination. That's just doesn't seem like a likely fit. :shrug:

Oh well, I'll still wait to see a trailor, etc. before I write it off.

Maglok
01-27-2003, 06:49 PM
I loved RE movie, dunno what is so bad about it, they even made some serious cash off it.

As long as they keep making movies of my favourite games, I am not going to stop them, Final Fantasy was good imho.

If it keeps me in the cinema then it has to have some kind of magic. :)

I say let them try :) I am sure it will be good, they have been getting better so. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.