PDA

View Full Version : Stability Help

Goon
01-23-2003, 01:02 AM
For all you AMers.
If you have stability issues and aren't that worried about all the new features go HERE (http://www.animationpitstop.com/files/index.shtml) .

It has a bunch of the older versions, though it hasn't been updated in a while.
I used to have 3 different versions installed of v8.5 just so i could use all the features (i.e. dynamics and cloth)

It may require searching through them to find one that works but it might well be worth the effort.

Natess44
01-23-2003, 04:36 AM
For example I was wondering what video card, hardware software, or anything that would make A:M more stable.

Goon
01-23-2003, 01:31 PM
I use nvidia and otherwise stock hardware and tried to keep the number of installed programs down to a minimum. I never achieved full stability, but on v8.5n it was fairly close.

Natess44
01-23-2003, 06:40 PM
I thought Nvidia cards were the best, just wasn't sure.

Goon
01-23-2003, 07:10 PM
Apparently AM is so finicky that the only way you can get stability is to have virtually no other dll's in use, which means that except for a few programs like photoshop, you can't install much. As i have only one computer, this is rather ludicrous.
But if you really want stability tips check the AM list archives (http://venice.killernuts.org/animaster/) .

It is the software that is messed up, so don't go crazy trying to fix your computer.

Natess44
01-23-2003, 07:16 PM
I know that it is the software but I don't see that Hash is going to fix all the problems in the next little while, so I might as well get the most stable system as possible.

no0ne
01-23-2003, 08:32 PM
i do have installed a loooad of programms
& the crashes are at a bearable level
am rendering right now with photoshop open,
icq & msn messenger chats also
of coz it's not that clever, but waiting sux (;

system: amd 2k+, 1g ddram, geforce2ti, winxphome, directx9
installed f.i. ulead media studio, wings3d, deeppaint3d demo,
pegasus mail, real player. acd see & a few games (;

hope it helps

btw win98 sux compared to winxp
& more ram = better a:m (;

there's been some hint-list for optimizing your system on animaster, perhaps that may be of help too

big thx mr. kevin sanderson (;

http://www.ksanderson.com/amtips.html

Natess44
01-23-2003, 08:38 PM
thanks. My system is a little out of date but I'm thinking of getting a new mother board with at least 512mb of ddr ram and a geforce 4 mmx 128mb vid card. I have a 1.8ghz athalon and 384mb ram with a junky sis built in video card at the minute.

HellBorn
01-24-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Natess44
thanks. My system is a little out of date but I'm thinking of getting a new mother board with at least 512mb of ddr ram and a geforce 4 mmx 128mb vid card. I have a 1.8ghz athalon and 384mb ram with a junky sis built in video card at the minute.

Not sure about exactly what card you refering to but just for your information the GeForce 4 MMX cards are more close to GeForce 2 than to GeForce 4. I recomend you save up and buy at least a GeForce 4200 Ti card as they are real GeForce 4 cards. The 4200 cards is not that expensive.

I have two computers at home, one is a 1,4GHz AMD with a GeForce 3 and the other is a 2GHz Celeron with a GeForce 4 MMX card. The computer with the GeForce 4 MMX card dont even get close to the power of the GeForce 3 based computer.

I have 64Mb on the GeForce 3 and I run at 1600*1200 16Bit color. I can use 32Bit color in all my other 3D apps if I want to. But if I run AM with multiple windows I have to go down to 16Bit our I would go out of memory.

So if money is a problem and you don't need to run AM in 1600*1200 32Bit color I would even consider to save some money on the price difference between a 128Mb GeForce 4MMX and the GeForce 4200 Ti card by chosing a 64Mb card.

Just my 5 cent...

JBarrett
01-24-2003, 04:51 PM
I just bought a new machine and installed A:M v10a last night. Haven't used it a ton, but it's working smoothly so far. Here's my system...

Asus A7N8X-DLX motherboard w/ nForce2 chipset
Athlon XP 2200+ CPU
512MB DDR SDRAM (2x256)
Leadtek Winfast A280LE-TD GeForce4 TI-4200 128MB
Windows XP Pro w/ service pack 1

I'll echo the recommendation to check out Kevin Sanderson's system tweaking page. Something else that Daniel Bissel (another A:M user) told me is to *not* upgrade to DirectX9 on WinXP. He did it, and it caused some "major video redraw issues" (his words), so he went back to 8.1 and it's working much better. He also said that he has A:M installed on WinXP on a separate partition of his hard drive, and a different XP installation on the other partition has all his other software...e-mail and other stuff.

FWIW...

Natess44
01-24-2003, 04:52 PM
Even the 8x agp slot ones are slow?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.