PDA

View Full Version : Character Critique

dbissell
01-22-2003, 11:07 PM
This is my first character model with A:M. I Did it over the course of a few days and I would like to hear any comments or critiques people might have. My plan is to use this character in a TD/Rigging Demo Reel so please be as kind or harsh as you will. Also any comments on TD/Rigging Demo Reels would be appreciated.

walasek
01-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Just some asthetic comments: (and this is just me - Im just a normal joe - so take my comments with a grain of salt)

1) arms are too long
2) neck is just a tad too long
3) tail is too straight

Besides that I love em :beer:

JoeCosman
01-22-2003, 11:31 PM
when setting up your character, take note of what pose you modeled him in.

for example, his toes point out, which, for lining up bones for legs and ik will be more difficult to achieve(i.e. you'll have a hard time finding the proper angle for bending the knee)

feet face forward, arms out, or straight down to the sides. arms out works much better for rotations when you rig.

Other than that, a very nice cartoon look for that fellah.

-joe

johnathan
01-22-2003, 11:59 PM
a very good character. my personal preference would be a little thicker limbs.

i'd have to see the splinage before i could suggest any changes for good animation, but i would suggest you build the tail straight back, to make rigging easier.

-jon

dbissell
01-23-2003, 12:44 AM
Walasek, Joe, and Jon thanks for the feedback. I can see what you're all saying. I think I will take some time tomorrow and thicken the limbs and shorten the arms and neck. Oh, here are some stills of the splines for you Jon if ya want to take a look. :)

Thanks!
-Dan

zandoria
01-23-2003, 01:15 AM
Your splines look good. I don't see any area that will cause trouble animating.

You said that you were going to use this for a demo reel for a technical director. Will you need to set-up lip synch poses or blinks and stuff?--It didn't look like you modeled a mouth or eyes.
I don't know if that's necessary, I'm not sure what things you need to be able to show as a TD.

zandoria
01-23-2003, 01:16 AM
never mind, I see the mouth. I must need a bigger monitor :)

serg2
01-23-2003, 07:18 AM
Good mouse

dbissell
01-24-2003, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Did some tweaks with the neck and the arms today. I'm going to give a try rigging the legs and tail as are...I think it will be a good practice...if things don't workout I'll change the model again.

Thanks Again! :)
-Dan

Dearmad
01-24-2003, 05:14 AM
I seriously wouldn't rig them as they are- listen to me o my child, I speak to you from recent experience. Aim his feet forward dead on- and pull out his tail. The positions they're in now aren't as suitable to rigging as you'd like to believe and will cause a few problems- especially his feet. Save correcting their angle to a more natural turned-out state for after you've rigged him.

It isn't necessarily good practice to rig a model posed in bad position. Yeah you'll learn, but don't come back in here all huffy mad about AM. :rolleyes:

At anyrate, stubborn grasshopper, when you put your aim-at constraint on the thigh to a thigh target, along with a aim roll at- you're gonna get some wierd results due to the offset you'll need to have put on there to not screw them up when you apply the constraint.

Keep on truckin' :airguitar

nerrazzi
01-26-2003, 01:51 AM
Looks good if that's your first character. I wasn't so fortunate with my first character. I didn't know you had to connnect the splines....:wise:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.