PDA

View Full Version : PROPOSAL for FUTURE HCR CHALLENGE: 30 Models in 30 days

RobertoOrtiz
08-07-2006, 02:33 AM
One idea i was to try is to to a 30 models in 30 days challenge.

The idea is to make people finish 30 models in a insane amount of time.

The idea is that at the end of 30 days become faster & more efficient modellers.
BTW, I am stealing this idea from a recent challenge in the anatomy review forum, so please no lawsuits..

Ok here is how you guys can help,
I need IDEAS for the model list. I want to make the list as long as possible (with photo reference of course) so people can select from a common list of models & still have enough variety so they can pick and choose the 30 models they will do that month.

Looking forward to your list.

-R

BobbyB
08-07-2006, 03:16 AM
That will take some commitment from the people joining in but yeah good practise for people if you get it up and running. As long as the models are not to complex it could work out ok.

Ill keep my eyes open for things to model.

erilaz
08-07-2006, 03:24 AM
Really cool idea Roberto! I'm liking the way your mind works! :D I don't think Rebecca has time to sue your ass right now though, so you should be fine! :p

Are you looking for 30 similar things (like 30 heads etc) or 30 entirely different objects?

I suppose there should be diversity in this:

Horse
Battleship
Arc de Triomphe (or any archway)
Designer chair
Stereo
Tank
Ficus tree
Severed limb
Spine
Cow skull
Well
Submarine
Samurai armour
Brazier
Revolver
Brooch
Phone booth
Apartment block
Fire truck
Cardinal
B-52
Camel
Gargoyle
Toilet
Forklift
Laptop
Saddle
Monkey
Salmon
Squid
Pineapple
Toaster
Snail
Boot
Ornamental ring
Halberd
Hippo
Crowbar
Eagle
Rib cage
Mona Lisa
Escalator
Fire escape
Dust mite
Satellite
Jam jar
Palm tree
Mushroom
Plaster bust
Suspension bridge
Rocket launcher
Telephone pole
Engraved cupboard
Piano

DDS
08-07-2006, 06:15 AM
Horse,Battleship,Arc de Triomphe (or any archway),Designer chair,Stereo,Tank,Ficus tree,Severed limb,Spine,Cow skull,Well,Submarine,Samurai armour,Brazier,Revolver,Brooch,Phone booth,Apartment block,Fire truck,Cardinal,B-52,Camel,Gargoyle,Toilet,Forklift,Laptop,Saddle,Monkey,Salmon,Squid,Pineapple,Toaster,Snail,Boot,Ornamental,ring,Halberd,Hippo,Crowbar,Eagle,Rib cage,Mona Lisa,Escalator,Fire escape,Dust mite,Satellite,Jam jar,Palm tree,,Mushroom,Plaster bust,Suspension bridge,Rocket launcher,Telephone pole,Engraved,cupboard,Piano

good list!!

BenDstraw
08-07-2006, 06:39 AM
i think it should be 30 different objects but but related in a way. such as 30 items you would fine in a room. model a car garage and you have to model everything in it. like drills, grinders, jumper cables and a couple cars maybe. thats my 2 cents about it. :wise:

Rod Seffen
08-07-2006, 11:02 AM
THat list is stupid, erilaz. How th hell can anyone model a horse, or a battleship, or most of the other things in the list in a few hours?
YOu need a list of things that can be model in say, 5 hours max. Even then, who has 5 hours a day, every day, for 30 days to spend doing this challenge?
I don't think this will work, Roberto. It's not feasable, unless the objects are really simple and can be made in under an hour, and if they're that simple, then there's no challenge in it.

SinisterUrge
08-07-2006, 11:11 AM
@oDDity: You'll be amazed how fast models can be made these days, especially with programs like Zbrush2.

I propose designing, modelling and texturing a castle with both an interior and exterior.

Phrenzy84
08-07-2006, 11:18 AM
i agree, dont think this one will work. If you were dissapointed about people entering in the last challenge, i think will have a worse turn out, might start out good but will die out fast.

Why not 5 models in 30 days. Its quality vs quantity. I couldnt care less about 30 mediocre models (especialy if it was me modelling them), but 5 awesome models, hell yeah, and its still hardcore.

RobertoOrtiz
08-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Please lets keep the opinions constructive. All voices are fair and no opinion is stupid, and guess what I LOVE Erilaz list. Actually I am planning to use a lot of his ideas on the mini challenge.

-R

jbacker99
08-07-2006, 04:38 PM
i agree, dont think this one will work. If you were dissapointed about people entering in the last challenge, i think will have a worse turn out, might start out good but will die out fast.

I agree 100%.

ZaneV
08-07-2006, 10:02 PM
hmmm... I think this would be quite a challenge! I can see how this challenge can help... I recently posted a guitar that I did in an hour in the speed challenges section. I am really bad at speed modelling and I think this challenge would be the best way for me to get better.

sorry, don't have a list but I love erilaz's list. Will we just have one list of 30 models and all contestants have to model from that list or do we have our own seperate lists?

hakanpersson
08-07-2006, 10:02 PM
This one sounds really interesting.
But agree with what some already said, 30 models is too much. Would of course work if some models were simplier than others, and a couple of mayor ones.

Like BenDstraw said, it would be funnier if they were related to eachother.

fx81
08-08-2006, 01:44 AM
hmm, actually this sounds really fun.

however, thirty days sounds too long for a challenge. may be 10-15 models in respective days. thats just my opinion.

erilaz has several good suggestions but before we decide on which ones we want to model, there has to be at least one clear reference for each.

also we need to keep our choices to moderately simple ones. for example, from erilaz'a list ill try to point out the 1day models versus the ones that may take few days for people who can afford 2-3 hrs each day besides their work. however, i know everyone has different modeling speed i am only trying to make educated guess.

Horse (not 1 day model)
Battleship (1 WEEK model)
Arc de Triomphe (or any archway) (1 WEEK model)
Designer chair (1 day model)
Severed limb (1 day model)
Rib cage (1 day model)
Mona Lisa (30 DAYS MAY BE, WHO KNOWS)

erilaz
08-08-2006, 03:31 AM
THat list is stupid, erilaz. How th hell can anyone model a horse, or a battleship, or most of the other things in the list in a few hours?

Thanks for the tactful and positive response Ron! :D

I tend to agree with some of the comments here, and I guess we have to look at this realistically:
I think what Roberto is trying to do here is push the hardcore element. To me, 30 models is a GOAL not a deadline. The idea is to push how fast and efficient you are in your modelling while maintaining quality. If all you can do is 5 models in the time frame, then that is your limit, and you can push further next time. Perhaps a model a day is unrealistic, but it's something to strive for.
And when is a model classified as finished? Are the models goingto be film resolution, game resolution, or print resolution?

That's my take on it anyway.:shrug:

erilaz
08-08-2006, 06:18 AM
In light of above posts, perhaps there needs to be a list of softcore (and less interesting) models as well, so people with less time can pick a handful from each list to have a chance to make the 30. Here goes:

Coffee mug
Fork
Table
Axe
Headphones
Ballpoint pen
Tire iron
Book
Candelabra
Standard (flag)
Lectern
Scroll
Underwear
Brush
Swing
Fire hydrant
Sink
Lamp post
Money pouch
Manacles
Bullet
Kennel
Bow
Frying pan
Shield
Gibbet
Scissors
Tennis Racket
Bunsen burner
Wheelie bin
Power outlet

SinisterUrge
08-08-2006, 07:49 AM
To model any from the list above would be way too easy.

Do the models have to be all textured?

ZaneV
08-08-2006, 01:27 PM
I also believe that there are some of erilaz's first suggestions which are definetly not a model you could do in one day but I think your second list, erilaz, is good.
These things erilaz has listed may be simple but I think the challenge here would be trying to model them with as much detail as possible.
For example:things such as the fork,table and coffee mug, they may not seem a challenge to some people and they probabley aren't but what could be a challenge is adding the detail to these models. Perhaps detailed patterns to the handle of the fork or the legs of the table claw footed.

This is how I am seeing the challenge, and it sounds fun to me.

Hope it becomes a hardcore challenge soon, can't wait!

RobertoOrtiz
08-08-2006, 02:09 PM
I want to stress that Erilaz gets what I want to do here.

The idea is to push people harder that ever in a insane amount of time.

The final list will have variety of models, from erasers, screwdrivers, pencils, to more complicated models.

The idea is to simulate a TIGHT dateline in a small studio. People even if you dont finish the 30 models, you will benefit A LOT for trying.

BTW I would love to see more models added to the list that we got so far!

-R

suwandi
08-08-2006, 03:43 PM
very interesting.
well, i am not pro, but some of the models just seems impossible to settle for 1 day.
nevertheless, it's a definite must-try thing.

some additions :
gatling gun | keyboard | backpack | cd wallet | handphone | F16 ( yeah ! ) | robot parts/whole thing ( double yeah ! ) | SD anime figurine ( bouncy.. ahem.. ) | remote control | trash drum | truck | car | jetski | shotgun | flower | Game Controller | clothings ( jeans, raincoat, wedding dress, etc ) | portable fan | wrist watch | stationery | HamburgeR ! | Cabbage | yummy foods | Cartoon character

just a thought, perhaps 30 days for 30 raw models. and then another challenge that use 30 days to texture all these models, and at the end of 2 months, you can look at the work you have done, and LAUGH OUT LOUD. + treat yourself something good.

cheers XD

MrPositive
08-08-2006, 07:04 PM
As with any free motivating contest I like it! It's certainly there to speed people up and we can all look at everyone's progress and help one another with ideas (like pre-ideas to each model). I believe that doing these models alone would get boring but with others expecting updates on your thread, and the motivation and help from others would be a great experience. I kind of equate it to the sketching contests.

BenDstraw
08-08-2006, 07:19 PM
what a way to be positive mr. positive haha:scream:

heres an interesting idea. maybe it can be seemingly hard objects but with a poly limit. to push people to show 30 somewhat complicated objects in a simple way. posibly showing off normal map skills and would be a real challenge. just a thought.

MrPositive
08-08-2006, 07:22 PM
what a way to be positive mr. positive haha:scream:

heres an interesting idea. maybe it can be seemingly hard objects but with a poly limit. to push people to show 30 somewhat complicated objects in a simple way. posibly showing off normal map skills and would be a real challenge. just a thought.

I do try to bring a little goodness to this wretched internet machine. I like the normal map skills idea but that sounds like it would fit into the "now let's texture them category". If we are hardcore modelers in this contest then we need to model right down to the screws and bolts, right?

fx81
08-08-2006, 08:34 PM
The idea is to simulate a TIGHT dateline in a small studio.

hmm, what about people who are working. for them this should be a escape from work, not simulating the work. i understand the point is to make it challenging, but as a result the final submmissions could turn out to be a competetion in quantity rather than quality.

RobertoOrtiz
08-08-2006, 08:49 PM
You would be surprised..

Check out the work done for the 50 portraits in ONE month.
I participated in that, (check my sig) and I was pleasantly surprised in the improvement in
my quality & speed. Besides It is only one month, and I have in mind a rating system for those who want to do less.

Arrrgh4life
08-09-2006, 12:24 AM
Sounds Awsome.
But I was thinking that it could be 15 models in 30 days, 15 days for 15 models, the another 15 for texturing. Either way I would join, I need to work on my speed.

erilaz
08-09-2006, 12:35 AM
I think this may be purely for modelling, not texturing, like the other ones have been.

BenDstraw
08-09-2006, 03:02 AM
yeah im sorry i deviated from the modelling aspect with the normal map thing. but a poly limit could still apply. the only problem would be a 1000 polies would be low for a human model. while a fork a 1000 is alot. i dunno what do you all think. :shrug:

o and roberto. when and what is the next offical challenge. is it gunna be this 30 model thing or what?

RobertoOrtiz
08-09-2006, 03:05 AM
What I had planned for the next challenge I have in mind is to do a likeness of someone famous from the past...

-R

gaiXyn
08-09-2006, 05:36 AM
you didn't add a chainSaw.....and oh yeah.....a faucet w/ sink.....and a fire hydrant.....I like the first list, it's great.....( even tho you've explained your reasoning on it ) it's a lil unrealistic for a slow, and don't have alot of time modelor like myself .....the second list is good too...but like you said......not very interesting.....however I'm up for whatever......so it doesn't really matter too much....:thumbsup:

lorely3000
08-09-2006, 12:48 PM
...why not include a deadly yet beautifully crafted samurai sword in the list?.../;pre;y3000

maje3d
08-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Actually I love the idea of a speed modeling challenge that simulates insane deadlines, because 1) I find that without any strict deadlines, I have a tendency to overanalyze my work and it just takes too long, especially when getting nitpicky about minor things, 2) I believe that I WILL become much more time-efficient in my modeling and 3) I need more variety in my portfolio instead of just vehicles and mecha.

So, I'm with you on this Roberto. I believe that there is more to be gained than lost on this challenge. If anything, it will help to identify and troubleshoot primary weaknesses and workflow issues.

onehotmouse
08-09-2006, 08:32 PM
Awesome idea. When I teach Maya I throw into the curriculum a 1-week "surprise". The modeler's get 5 projects that increase in complexity day-to-day. I do this just before they begin their "opus". It is a great learning experience for myself and the student to evaluate the capabilities of the modeler and, even more important, they discover the work ethic that is required to get the project done and make it in the real world. This technique is even done in the industry for an evaluation by a prospective employer.

In each case I provide project folders with photos for image planes.

My list is kept secret, each day becomes more complex.
Day one, a cup and a spoon. Time: 5 hours. No limits for poly count, just get as far done as one can. This evaluates right off the bat - planning and observation. Working and re-working forms would be a budget killer in the industry.

Day two, a book. Time 5 hours. No poly limits. I only provide photo reference, but some created open as well as closed books. Most neglect the bending of the leather bound cover, which I quickly show how a lattice deformer fixes.

Day three, as we move toward more organic shapes: a baby shoe with laces. Time 5 hours. No poly limits. I even give them the shoe to pass around. The goal is observation to pick up how a baby shoe is deformed and not make a chunk of rock.

Day four, computer monitor. Time 5 hours. No poly limits. But no ventilation holes. Here I wanted to see the sweeping engineered forms, beveled edges, etc.

Day five, keyboard. Time 5 hours. Again no poly limits. Everyone freaks out until we discuss how a keyboard only has 8 or so unique keys.

In each case, most projects still need work but it's at a stage for honest evaluation. I think the one problem with this list would be the time to find the specific reference. Therefore I suggest that 3-views should be collected. But not until the day of modeling should the images be posted. No one can get ahead, which is not what the point of speed modeling. Whose to say the battleship couldn't be some kids floaty toy.

Pdude2K5
08-13-2006, 01:06 PM
I like onehotmouse's idea of no one knowing what we will need to model the next day,
So its gonna be interesting to find out what is to be modeled the day after but the
problem is that we all live within different time frames and that might pose
a problem.

Anyhow I think this challange is interesting and i'll definatly participate.

-Pdude

jameskhoo
08-14-2006, 01:55 AM
personally i like the idea of making 30 models in 30 days.. so here's what i am suggesting.

the theme i am going for is computer parts.

1.video card
2.sound card
3.heatsink
4.18mm fan
5.optical mouse(transparent)
6.monitor
7.keyboard
8.hard disk drive (open up)
9.cpu casing
10.motherboard.

that's all i can think for now.. will put more ideas into it later on..

RobertoOrtiz
08-14-2006, 01:56 PM
I would like to hear more onl how you guys feel about onehotmouse's idea of no one knowing what we will need to model the next day.

He is makinga strong case.

BTW keep the list of objects coming!

-R

onehotmouse
08-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Make personally i like the idea of making 30 models in 30 days.. so here's what i am suggesting.

the theme i am going for is computer parts.

1.video card
2.sound card
3.heatsink
4.18mm fan
5.optical mouse(transparent)
6.monitor
7.keyboard
8.hard disk drive (open up)
9.cpu casing
10.motherboard.

that's all i can think for now.. will put more ideas into it later on..

But is this a real world scenario? Set dressers need to come up with a vast assortment of items at any given time. When you are in a trial evaluation, you will not know what you will have to make. You might have to make a hard surface model one day, and an organic one the next.

I recommend that we develop the list by culling from a collection of 3-views (photos or illustrations) of what everyone could make. I think that 30 models in 30 days is daunting, however not unachievable. When we begin this challenge, every day the forum leader will announce which one at 00:00 GMT, let's say, and where the reference files are located.

Question is where do we send these images to?

ZaneV
08-14-2006, 02:32 PM
I really like your idea onehotmouse. I like it because it will provide more of a challenge, not knowing what all the objects will be. The other thing I like about it is and as onehotmouse basicly said, the challenge will give us a sort of simulization of real life situations where one day we will be required to model one thing and then the next day, with out any notice of what it will be we will be required to model something entirely different.

As for the reference photos.... can't Roberto upload the reference images when he posts what the next object to be modeled is?

Anyway, really like the idea

ZaneV

fx81
08-14-2006, 02:37 PM
i like the idea a lot of not knowing what to model next. there will be something to look forward to every day of the challenge. i like it a LOT:thumbsup: thanks onehotmouse

RobertoOrtiz
08-14-2006, 04:52 PM
To all I have one question,

what should be be the highest level of complexity for a one day model?

BTW, check out this modeling reel for future presentation ideas.

OneMonth" - Reel 2006 - Philip Hartmann

-R

maje3d
08-15-2006, 02:05 AM
It really depends on terms of complexity, simply because of differing workflows for different things.

Organics tend to be easy in the sense that they're just one big complex mesh, while mechanical things might take a while to crank out just because of the many parts involved to make the whole.

Also, it depends greatly on reference material. For example, I started a 1980's era Nissan Vanette but source images are vague and few, so I'm getting stuck on modeling the specifics, even though the basic shape is a box. Heck, you could even through that in as a factor. Model this awesome car from poor references.

RobertoOrtiz
08-15-2006, 02:42 AM
I am sorry for the bad link...

here is the reel

OneMonth" - Reel 2006 - Philip Hartmann (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=391081)

-R

claybub
08-15-2006, 04:53 AM
hey roberto, I like this idea but like some have said already, 30 models in 30 days may be too much. IMO 15-20 would be more suitable. For complex objects, perhaps model a part of a popular sculpture or character from a film. Also, if the list includes mundane and/or objects we see everyday then you may find less interest in the challenge. perhaps if the objects were complex...but any stage of completion would be acceptable. That way people can get enthousiastic about a piece and end up going overboard if they wish (eg. model crazy detail and proportionatly perfect) OR do a simple blocked version where maybe only a certain part has high detail like eyes OR just model for the sillouette.

I think if the primary focus is to learn, rather than to win, then this challenge (as well as future challenges) will be much more successful.
(I really like how rebecca did the spotlight with everones attempt for the master copies in the anatomy forum, rather than showcasing the winners work)

and while im at it... although i didnt actively participate in the michelangelo's david challenge, I was inspired to model him for fun after the challenge, and i discovered a wonderful new passion to do master copies of traditional sculptures. I was hoping that the next challenge after big ben would be a sculpture with an interesting pose/clothing. it also encourages us to study traditional masters which is loads of fun, and extremely useful to us as artists.

so there ya go. my humble 2 cents. :)

jameskhoo
08-15-2006, 01:36 PM
okie.. well mabbe u guys are right.. mabbe we can propose like a random image or images drawn by famous artist to do the modelling.. might need a combination of both organic and non organic and between easy modelling to intermediate modelling.. how about each of the cg talk member contribute one picture painted or composed by him/her and from the whole lot of entries we get , we decide which artworks will be selected to model and for each day there will be a different overall theme to model.

RobertoOrtiz
08-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Well for the amount of models I was thinking we could do it in level

I would separate it in 3 different cathegories
10 20 30

10 is Silver Level
20 is Gold
30 Is Platinum

The user would have the option to aim for one of the three cathegories. And if he wants he can upgrade.

-R

Pdude2K5
08-15-2006, 05:29 PM
I think that each model that is annaunced will be completely different then the
previous one...no 2 models in the same category...I think it sould be a mix of models
from different aspects from architecture to organic...Perhaps even model a small
part of a complex architectural structure(maybe a pillar or an ornament).

Ideas for objects:
-Diamonds or a gem stone. - http://www.amgmedia.com/freephotos/DSCN0844.jpg

-Fruits - http://www.amgmedia.com/freephotos/DSCN3767.jpg

-Fishes or sea creatures.

-Optical illuisions - http://perdana.fsktm.um.edu.my/~mazliza/img/optical_illusion1.jpg (http://perdana.fsktm.um.edu.my/%7Emazliza/img/optical_illusion1.jpg)
http://perdana.fsktm.um.edu.my/~mazliza/img/optical_illusion2.jpg (http://perdana.fsktm.um.edu.my/%7Emazliza/img/optical_illusion2.jpg)
http://home.jtan.com/~febdian/funnypics/optical_illusion-impossible_geometry_(ascendin).jpg

-Mechanical parts, Motorbike engine or carborator.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/egrandbuy/egrandbuygenesis5.jpg

-vases - http://www.perfectdayflorist.net/nss-folder/pictures/Lenox%20Floral%20Vine%20Vase.JPG

-RC cars or hovercrafts - http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/raidentech168/ballcar1.jpg
http://site.wonderhobby.com/sunfirenitrocar8.jpg
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/raidentech168/bluehovercraft01.jpg
http://site.wonderhobby.com/hoverman7.jpg

Inventions - http://www.autoemirates.com/_Images/Classic/ConceptCar-Da-Vinci.jpg

Sections of architecture(not the whole pic ofcourse) - http://www.cherba.com/traumerei/images/20040310/20040310n.jpg

Instuments - http://www.jerkasmarknad.com/violin_strad.jpg

Or we could make a car or and object that will have all the mechanical parts and
each part will be modeled every day and at the end of the month we will have a
complete car or something else.

Just some thoughts

-Pdude

morphius-ms
08-15-2006, 06:00 PM
I personally think that 30 models in 30 days would be a little too much especially for some kick a** models but it would really be a learning experience like no other...

As for not having the people know what they are going to be modeling the next day would be a good idea because if you give a list and go on sheer trust (and I'm not saying that people here aren't trustworthy) you could have a bunch of people that have models that they spent a week or two days on instead of one day....

if you put out the list one model per day you would be sure that they would only be modeling in one 24 hour period per model (or however long it would be). The model that they would be working on would just have to be posted before the next model comes out, and give a certain time that the next model would be posted so the modelers know how long they have to post it (for example: "Each model will be posted at midnight each night.") of course the time would be up to you Roberto.
Just my thoughts.

RobertoOrtiz
08-16-2006, 03:25 PM
OK so if 30 models are too much, how about 20 models?

-R

Six60Sicks
08-16-2006, 06:19 PM
20 or 30 is good. Enough talk already :)

Lets get started!

Great idea!

nakaikoi
08-16-2006, 06:58 PM
I agree, lets get started

Pdude2K5
08-16-2006, 10:34 PM
I agree with 20 models...After all its quality not quantity that counts.

Roberto - Are you the only on that will compile the list?

Good luck to everyone who joins and thanks to Roberto for this great competition:thumbsup:.

-Pdude

RobertoOrtiz
08-17-2006, 02:06 AM
Ok here is the plan I wll be posting the new challenge on Friday.

IF and only IF we get the logistics for this one in the can, we will do it.
If not, we will do a "traditional challenge" until we iron out the details.

Anyway here is the global list so far:
Animals
-Horse
-Hippo

Hardware

-Crowbar
-Screwdriver
-Hammer
-Screw
-Nail

Furniture
-Designer chair
-Desk

Forklift

Stereo
Tank
Ficus tree
Severed limb
Spine
Cow skull
Well
Submarine
Samurai armour
Brazier
Revolver
Brooch

Apartment block
Fire truck
Cardinal
B-52
Camel
Gargoyle
Toilet

Saddle
Monkey
Salmon
Squid

Toaster
Snail
Boot
Ornamental ring
Halberd

Eagle
Rib cage
Mona Lisa
Escalator
Fire escape
Dust mite
Satellite
Jam jar
Palm tree
Mushroom
Plaster bust
Suspension bridge
Rocket launcher

Engraved cupboard
Piano

Table
Axe
Headphones
Ballpoint pen
Tire iron
Book
Candelabra
Standard (flag)
Lectern
Scroll
Underwear

Swing

Sink

Money pouch
Manacles
Bullet
Kennel
Bow
Frying pan
Shield
Gibbet
Scissors
Tennis Racket
Bunsen burner
Wheelie bin
Power outlet

Art Supplies

Kitchen Supplies:
-Coffee mug
-Fork
-Spoon

Cannons
-Howitzer

Guns
-Bullet
-Dessert Eagle
-AK-47
-P-90
-Colt 45
- M16
-FAMAS
-SIG 550
-Browning 9
-Walther P99
-Luger
-Uzi
-Gatling gun
-M4 carbine,

Swords
-Tanto
-Kitchen Knife
-Broadsword
-Dagger
-Katana
-Wakizashi
-Sabre
-Gladius
-Rapier
-Dao
-Lightsaber
-Scimitar
-Butterfly sword
-Longsword
-Machete
-Bayonet

Art materials
-Wodden Puppets
-Brush
-Eraser
-pen eraser
-Pencil
-Marker
-Oils Tube
-Easel
-Art table
-Stool
-X-Acto Knife
-pastels
-clayhammer
-Calligraphy Ink
-Calligraphy pen

Computer:

.-Monitor
-Keyboard
-sound card
-heatsink
-18mm fan
-optical mouse(transparent)
-monitor
-keyboard
-hard disk drive (open up)
-cpu casing
-.motherboard.

Street models
-Telephone pole
-Fire hydrant
-Street Light
-Telephone Booth
-Fire hydrant
-Newspaperbox
-Mailbox
-realstate box
-Trashcan
-

Multimedia
-earphones
-Ipod
-cellphone
-psp
-gameboy
-Nitendo DS
-Video camera
-CD
-Television
-boombox
-stereo
-speaker

Computers
-mouse
_Monitor
-Pc

Misc
Mechanical parts, Motorbike engine or carborator.

-Forklift

-RC cars or hovercrafts -
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/egrandbuy/egrandbuygenesis5.jpg (http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/egrandbuy/egrandbuygenesis5.jpg)

Diamonds or a gem stone. - http://www.amgmedia.com/freephotos/DSCN0844.jpg (http://www.amgmedia.com/freephotos/DSCN0844.jpg)

-Fruits - http://www.amgmedia.com/freephotos/DSCN3767.jpg
(http://www.amgmedia.com/freephotos/DSCN3767.jpg)Pineapple
-vases - http://www.perfectdayflorist.net/nss-folder/pictures/Lenox%20Floral%20Vine%20Vase.JPG (http://www.perfectdayflorist.net/nss-folder/pictures/Lenox%20Floral%20Vine%20Vase.JPG)
Animals
-Fishes or sea creatures

-

-Optical illuisions - http://perdana.fsktm.um.edu.my/~mazliza/img/optical_illusion1.jpg (http://perdana.fsktm.um.edu.my/~mazliza/img/optical_illusion1.jpg)
http://perdana.fsktm.um.edu.my/~mazliza/img/optical_illusion2.jpg (http://perdana.fsktm.um.edu.my/~mazliza/img/optical_illusion2.jpg)
http://home.jtan.com/~febdian/funnypics/optical_illusion-impossible_geometry_(ascendin).jpg

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/raidentech168/ballcar1.jpg (http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/raidentech168/ballcar1.jpg)
http://site.wonderhobby.com/sunfirenitrocar8.jpg (http://site.wonderhobby.com/sunfirenitrocar8.jpg)
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/raidentech168/bluehovercraft01.jpg (http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/raidentech168/bluehovercraft01.jpg)
http://site.wonderhobby.com/hoverman7.jpg (http://site.wonderhobby.com/hoverman7.jpg)

Inventions - http://www.autoemirates.com/_Images/Classic/ConceptCar-Da-Vinci.jpg (http://www.autoemirates.com/_Images/Classic/ConceptCar-Da-Vinci.jpg)

Sections of architecture(not the whole pic ofcourse) - http://www.cherba.com/traumerei/images/20040310/20040310n.jpg (http://www.cherba.com/traumerei/images/20040310/20040310n.jpg)

Instuments - http://www.jerkasmarknad.com/violin_strad.jpg (http://www.jerkasmarknad.com/violin_strad.jpg)

Or we could make a car or and object that will have all the mechanical parts and
each part will be modeled every day and at the end of the month we will have a
complete car or something else.

Just some thoughts

ZaneV
08-17-2006, 03:35 AM
Building on this idea can be never ending... the amount of different things we could do are many but I think for now we have to start simple.... find out what works and what doesn't.

We have established the fact that this is a good idea and can be a very good learning experience for most of us and that perhaps 30 models is a bit much... some people think that we should not know what we will model until the start of the challenge and some people think we should. Then there is onehotmouse's idea which I like very much.

I think what we need to realise is that the first challenge using this idea may not be the best ideal challenge for everybody and that we can always fix what didn't go to well and keep what did go well.

So, say the first challenge is a 20 models in one month challenge where roberto gives us the full list at the beginning of the challenge, then the next challenge could based on onehotmouse's idea and then from their we can see what worked well and what didn't. Perhaps after onehotmouse's challenge we could do the interesting idea of building parts of car each day until we have an entire car.

Roberto your idea is really good, I think this competition could really help me,

Thanks

ZaneV

ZaneV
08-17-2006, 11:15 AM
I want to get the logistics in the can with this one so to speak, so I have decided to put forward a sort of outline for the challenge:

30 Day Hardcore Challenge

Challenge Levels
The challenge is divided into three different sections (Roberto's idea) to accomidate people who are busy and people who can't create a model a day. This is also a great idea because hopefully we will see, as more of these challenges are completed, different members progressing through to the gold level because they are becoming faster modelers.

Platinum Challenge: This challenge only has 15 models that are required to be completed, giving competitiors 2 days per model.

Silver Challenge: This challenge has 20 models that are required to be completed, giving competitors 1 and a half days per model.

Gold Challenge: This challenge has 30 models that are required to be completed, giving competitors 1 day per model.

The List of 30 Models

We have seen, two posts up, a very large list of models submited by Roberto. In this challenge Roberto chooses 30 models from his list, preferably not all in the same category (it would become more of a challenge to model some organic, some machinery and some sleek futuristic models etc.) At the beginning of the challenge, when it is announced Roberto lists the models under the Platinum, Silver and Gold challenges. Each challenge should have 10 models the same and gold and silver challenges should have 20 models the same.

Competitors Threads:

Competitors will create threads in the Hardcore Modeling Challenge forum and have a title which follows this template:

Template: HCR 30 Day Challenge: [challenge level] - [competitor name]
Example: HCR 30 Day Challenge: Gold - Zane

When each competitor completes the required model and posts it in there thread their post should follow a certain template to make it easier for voters when it is voting time. Bellow I have created a proposed template:

Title of Model Completed

[Model Image]

Comments:

Dealing with time differences

I think this will be the most difficult thing about this challenge, time zones. Australia is basicly a day ahead of america. I am not really good at working with time differences and stuff so I am wondering if there are any suggestions or if this problem has already been fixed in previous challenges.

Judging Competitors:

A voting system will still be used for this challenge just like all the traditional challenges. Roberto will annouce voting and list all competitors (divided into their specified challenge levels), which have completed the challenge succesfully. The listed names will be linked to their threads in this forums.

Under each challenge level (gold, silver and platinum) there will be different things by which people can give them a vote for, these things are:
(they are the same for each challenge level)

Best detailed models (The competitor that has the most detailed models)
Models that are closest to reference (The competitor thats models are closest to provided reference material)
Best renders (The competitors that have the best model renders)
Best overall models (pretty much self explanitory)
Once all of the voting has finished (one week for voting), Roberto will post the results like with the traditional challenges.

I hope I have covered everything the needs to be covered... please tell me what you think guys.

I think after a challenge like this we should do onehotmouse's idea.

Thanks,

ZaneV

MVP
08-17-2006, 12:24 PM
I am sooo bored at work that this sounds like a good plan!

maje3d
08-18-2006, 02:30 AM
oh man I can't wait to start this! This sounds fun fun fun!

DDS
08-18-2006, 05:38 AM
oh, yeah :buttrock: starting on weekend, perfect!

RobertoOrtiz
08-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Ok Ill post the rules tonight.

-R

maje3d
08-18-2006, 08:22 PM
As long as it's not 11:59PM tonight! :D

RobertoOrtiz
08-19-2006, 08:28 AM
Ok here is a draft...

The Hardcore Modeling MINI-Challenge #4: 30 Days, 30 Models
THE HARDCORE MODELING MINI-CHALLENGE!
30 Days, 30 Models
Sculpt up to 30 models in 1 month from the provided list.

There are TWO ways to participate:
Either:

PICK AND CHOOSE:
You can pick whatever models you wish from the attached list at the end of this post
DAILY MODEL THREAD:
Wait for a Daily thread called thread called the DAILY MODEL and post on this thread the model selected for that day
BOTH threads will reference the SAME model list, the intention is to fomment modellers to finish the highest number of finished entries.

THE CHALLENGE:___________________________

Sculpt up to 30 models in 1 month from the provided list. The idea of this "mini-challenge" is to simulate an impossible dateline for a project. The artists will have at their discretion how detailed the models they will be working on, if the models will be shaded, and the interpretation of what they should be modeling.

For example an entry might call for a duck, but the artist might sculpt a realistic fully shaded duck or decide to model a more simple toy rubber duck. The key is that the model HAS to be based on some sort of real life reference.

Challenge Levels
The challenge is divided into three different sections to accomidate people who are busy and people who can't create a model a day. This is also a great idea because hopefully we will see, as more of these challenges are completed, different members progressing through to the Platinum level because they are becoming faster modelers.

Silver Challenge: This challenge only has 10 models that are required to be completed, giving competitiors 2 days per model.

Gold Challenge: This challenge has 20 models that are required to be completed, giving competitors 1 and a half days per model.

Platinum Challenge: This challenge has 30 models that are required to be completed, giving competitors 1 day per model.

CAN YOU DO IT?

What is the HARDCORE MODELING CHALLENGE?

The idea of these HARDCORE MINI CHALLENGES is to push the modeling skills participants while learning from the past. To get past preconceptions of the limits of digital art. To push digital artists into the world of sculptors & artisans. But we will have variety on these mini challenges. Sometimes we will sculpt a model based on a masterpiece, but on other times we might do Jet fighter or a landmark....

The only thing that will be consistent is the SHORT DATELINES.

At the end of the challenge, the participant should have a finished collection of entries. Keep in mind contest of high difficulty you will have ONE MONTH to do the challenge, but the rewards, even if you don't win, will be your improved skills in speed and accuracy.

EVALUATION CRITERIA:______________________

Detailed RESEARCH, and attention to detail are key for ALL entries. Please before doing an entry do your homework.

The best model will be selected by an open vote
for these categories:

Most Accurate Model (Collection)
Best Detailed Model (Collection)
Best Render (Collection)
Best Overall Collection
Most Accurate Model (Individual)
Best Detailed Model (Individual)
Best Render (Individual)
Highest Number of FINISHED models
The winner will get bragging rights and a small banner
designed by me.

DATELINE: Monday September 25 th 12:00 PM

YOU HAVE One MONTH do the challenge.

CHALLENGE SPECIFIC RULES:

No work taken DIRECTLY from an existing tutorial. You may use an existing tutorial only for reference.
You may NOT use a pre exiting models. All models must be done from scratch.
An artist may change from PICK AND CHOOSE type of participation to DAILY MODEL THREAD whenever he or she wishes.
GENERAL RULES:

For DAILY MODEL THREAD the model must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.
for PICK AND CHOOSE the selected models must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.
Becuase if the HUGE number of files WIP are NOT encouraged, only final entries
WIP thread should be posted on the Hardcore Modeling Challenge (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=208) forum and should follow
the following naming convention: HARDCORE MODELING!: 30Days_30Models: <<TYPE OF ENTRY >>
For each image you should post:

Title of Model Completed

[Model Images]

Comments:
And should be posted on both the individual WIP thread on on this master thread.

For each model 3 Orthographic renders ARE REQUIRED. These renders are for TOP, SIDE, BOTTOM views and a BEAUTY RENDER.

BEAUTY RENDER:

Final RENDERS should be rendered at 1600 X 1200 OR 1200 x 1600 in JPG format.(Post only as link) A smaller 800x 600 OR 600 x 800 image should be posted on the threads.

ORTHOGRAPHIC RENDERINGS:

Ortographic renderings ARE REQUIRED for EACH entry and should be rendered at 800 x 600 OR 600x800.
- This means you need to submit renders of the from the Front, Sides (2), Back, Top and bottom.
TURNTABLE ANIMATION (VOLUNTARY).
- I recomentd to aid the voters a turntable rendering of the model. It would have to be done in QuickTime or Windows Media at a resolution of 600 x 400 OR 300 x 200. The render might be done as a Quickshade or Beauty Render.
Please add a brief text description about your piece.
The artist also has to post total length of time it took to do and program used.
Future topics for hardcore Challenges will be picked at random from the list on
this >>thread (http://the%20david%20signup%20list:%20Post%20here%20those%20who%20are%20looking%20for%20partners/teams) << (The author will be given credit). So guys keep them coming.
Post on this thread your link to your WIP thread and your FINAL piece.
Only participants who follow the rules and submit a final entry will be eligible for the voting process.
Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken
off the thread.
The models should be picked from the following list :

Art materials
1-Art table
2-Brush
3-Calligraphy Ink
4-Calligraphy pen
5-Clay Hammer
6-Easel
7-Eraser
8-Pencil
9-Pen Eraser
10-Marker
11-Oils Tube
12-Pastels
13-Stool
14-Wodden Puppets
15-X-Acto Knife

Animals
16-Horse
17-Hippo
18-Salmon
19-Snail
20-Squid

Bladed Weapons
21-Axe
22-Broadsword
23-Butterfly sword
24-Bayonet
25-Dagger
26-Dao
27-Katana
28-Kitchen Knife
29-Gladius
30-Lightsaber
31-Longsword
32-Machete
33-Rapier
34-Sabre
35-Sai
36-Scimitar
37-Tanto
38-Wakizashi

Boats & Ships
39-Paperboat
40-Speed Boat
41-Submarine
42-Small Sailboat
43-Tug

Cannons
44-Howitzer

Furniture
45-Designer chair
46-Desk

Guns
47-AK-47
48-Browning 9
49-Bullet
50-Colt 45
51-Dessert Eagle
52-FAMAS
53-Gatling gun
54-Luger
55-M4 carbine,
56-M16
57-P-90
58-SIG 550
59-Uzi
60-Walther P99

Hardware
61-Crowbar
62-Hammer
63-Nail
64-Screw
65-Screwdriver

Kitchen Supplies:
66-Coffee mug
67-Fork
68-Spoon

Office Supplies
69-Desk
70-Office Chair
71-Ruler
72-Tacks

Multimedia
73-Boombox
74-Cellphone
75-CD
76-Earphones
77-I-Pod
78-psp
79-Gameboy
80-Nitendo DS
81-Television
82-Stereo
83-Speaker
84-Video camera

Street models
85-Fire hydrant
86-Newspaper Box
87-Mailbox
88-Park Bench
89-Realstate Box
90-Street Light
91-Telephone Booth
92-Telephone pole
93-Trashcan

Vehicles
94-Armored Truck
95-B-52
96-Delivery Truck
97-Forklift
98-Ice Cream Truck
99-Mail Truck
100-Model T
101 -Segway

Pdude2K5
08-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Sounds Good:thumbsup: , Lets get it started.

-Pdude

ZaneV
08-19-2006, 08:49 AM
If it is OK I am posting it officially Tonight

It's definetly OK here. The sooner the better mate!

Is Washington D.C -5 GMT? I am trying to work out approx. what time you will post in aus time +10 GMT. If I am correct then if you post this challenge at 12:00 midnight sunday, it will be 2:00pm sunday afternoon here. Is that right?

Thanks,

ZaneV

fx81
08-19-2006, 04:06 PM
hey Roberto, whatever happend to the idea of not knowing what to model next day? or did i miss that in your rules!

also, i thought you would provide a specific list of things to model. this seems too open ended and looks more like a workshop(which is very usefull too) rather than a challenge. everyone is gonna model something different. since you took the idea from a workshop this is expected, but to make it into a challenge i believe there should be a goal; i.e. a goal list of models from day 1 to day 30 and we only know what to model for the next day.
the way it is now, people will model some of the harder thing for more than a day and then just show it in 1 day. the point of the challenge becomes mute here.

Pdude2K5
08-19-2006, 05:17 PM
fx81 - The idea of not knowing what to model the next day will be in the next challange, But in this challange there will still be no knowing what will be the next day but in this challange
Roberto posted a list which the models to be done are drawn from.
There are 3 categories Silver,Gold and Platinum and those 3 will have different models
so youll need to choose which one and the voting will be different for each category.
If people will model something and post it after 2 days then it will be visible, And even
if ppl will do that then it doesnt really matter because the point of the challange is
30 models 30 days so it doesnt matter if modeling something will take a day, two
or even an hours.

-Pdude

RobertoOrtiz
08-19-2006, 05:18 PM
You know ONE idea does not exclude the OTHER.

As long as the models come from the SAME list.

-R

fx81
08-19-2006, 09:03 PM
You know ONE idea does not exclude the OTHER.

true, a workshop can become really interesting when its challenging.

but, when a challenge becomes more like a workshop i believe it becomes less challenging. unless of course its your intension to make this more of a workshop.

ZaneV
08-19-2006, 11:35 PM
I sorta see what you are trying to say, fx81, but I think you should just give this challenge a go and see for yourself wether or not it is a challenge. Then after the challenge we can go through what worked and what didn't.

RobertoOrtiz
08-20-2006, 03:18 AM
Ok here is how we will do this.

The list WILL be posted so people can pick the models they want from the list
But I will be SELECTING Daily one Item from the list, so those who want can do the workshop this way.
This way we get the best of both worlds.

-R

RobertoOrtiz
08-20-2006, 07:11 AM
It is up!

The Hardcore Modeling MINI-Challenge #4: 30 Days, 30 Models (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=395381)

-R

CGTalk Moderation
08-20-2006, 07:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.