PDA

View Full Version : Softimage Announces Face Robot version 1.5

RobertoOrtiz
08-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Quote:
"Softimage Co. announced SOFTIMAGE|FACE ROBOT version 1.5 – an update to the industry’s first software application dedicated to the creation of lifelike facial animation. This release offers a game export solution which allows artists to deliver high quality, in-game acting with detailed facial nuances, with support for all major game platforms. In addition, significant performance improvements to the software have also been implemented and support for the new Mova Contour Reality Capture system is now included. "

>>LINK<< (http://news.awn.com/index.php3?ltype=top&newsitem_no=17606)

-R

_mg_
08-07-2006, 03:21 PM
now don't everybody rush! ;)

arvid
08-07-2006, 03:32 PM
SOFTIMAGE|FACE ROBOT version 1.5 software is expected to be available in September 2006 for purchase in the following configurations:

* SOFTIMAGE|FACE ROBOT Designer will be available for $94,995 <-:lightbulb
* SOFTIMAGE|FACE ROBOT Animator will be available for $14,995

Arrrgh4life
08-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Great balls of fire, thats alot of cash:eek:

mech7
08-07-2006, 04:05 PM
i'd buy that for a dollar :thumbsup:

NUKE-CG
08-08-2006, 09:34 AM
I remember when 1.0 came out.

Hearts were broken that day.

StefanA
08-08-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm a big fan of Softimage products, but when it comes to FaceRobot I wonder if the money could have been placed elsewhere... Since 0.0001% of the userbase will be using it. Here is the top 3 things that sticks as a nail in my eye.

1.) price(!?)

2.) Even if you buy a $95.000 you need to cash out $15.000 for each animator. You can not animate the face with out either a Designer or Animator license (not even XSI advanced will do...).

3.) yes it's compatible with other applications... just as the FBX and collada format (aka geometry cache). So it's not as you would get a setup into another application.

Granted it's new to the masses, but I can't stop wondering who came up with the pricetag... and how drunk (high?) where they that night. And who ever that person was, they should stop hanging around former SGI executives! (as we all noticed they are a bad influence).

Now show me how many licenses that has been sold (non educational). And tell me when the price will be at a normal level for a typical post house.

regards
stefan *grumpy* andersson

ThomasMahler
08-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Who knows, maybe selling Face Robot at that price point is the only way they can afford the R&D in that area - and this is where R&D is really needed. I'm sure that F|R could become part of XSI Advance sooner or later, but right now, it's probably still experimental software that needs a lot of R&D to get it just right. At that pricetag, Softimage will also only play with the big studios, which is probably exactly what they have in mind in order to make it a production-ready pipeline tool. I'm happy about what they're doing, if they can afford creating great software that way that'll make it into their animation pacakge later down the road, then more power to them.

gunslingerblack
08-08-2006, 04:15 PM
the title should read

" Softimage Announces Face Robot version 1.5 and it's still too expensive for anyone to buy"

vlad74
08-08-2006, 04:57 PM
I think they will drop that price. But this is just me.

Devenish
08-10-2006, 05:32 AM
Ouch that’s still pricy, I wonder if they offer maintenance contracts for it and how much? :D

JDex
08-10-2006, 06:15 AM
Thomas has it right.

By pricing it at this point, SI gets to have (for lack of a better term) "workshops" in large production environments. This allows them to keep the geniuses in Special Products very focussed. This in turn makes the application very well suited for any and all situations that any client in the future (large or small) may face, as well as providing a level of support for the small client base that the products gets that they couldn't otherwise.

Going this way makes the solution better for the productions that need it now because it will "make" their project... and it makes the product better in the long run as the pricing enters the range that smaller shops can afford... I don't think the full solution will ever become an extension of Advanced though, but many aspects of the technology will find it's way into the flagship app... infact I believe some elements already have (GATOR?).

mr Bob
08-10-2006, 06:49 AM
Dont see the issue with the price its certainly cheaper than employing an army of TD's to design from scratch a facial system to fit your pipeline over 1yr, unless that is you expect really smart people to work at your shop for peanuts ...

B

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2006, 06:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.