PDA

View Full Version : tv connection, need help

seb4d
01-22-2003, 06:45 PM
Hi,

I'd like to connect a tv to my pc in order to display the preview window of Adobe Premiere at full screen.
I have an ATI Radeon 64Mo DDR VIVO, so I tried to connect my tv to the composite output (RCA). The problem is that the tv also displays windows' desktop, and my pc's monitor has a very strange resolution.
I downloaded the Catalyst 3.0 Drivers and Hydravision to try to do what I want but it didn't work.

I think I haven't the right video card.
What do I need to use a tv as a control monitor for Adobe Premiere so that I can work in Premiere on my pc's monitor, and see in real time the preview on the tv at full screen ?

My teacher told me to buy a Matrox G400 series because it does it well, but it's not good to do 3D, and I need a good 3D video card, that's why I thought of buying another ATI.

Sorry for my english, it seems a little confused ;P

Thanks for your help.

seb4d
01-23-2003, 04:55 PM
Maybe my question was not clear enough, I'm sorry.

Well, I've got an ATI Radeon 64MO DDR VIVO. What should I do to have a dual monitor configuration on winXP that enables me to output a video at full screen on a tv ? Should I change my ATI for a new model (do they support real dual monitor ?), or should I add a PCI Matrox G450 and keep my ATI on AGP ?

I really need advice, so anyone who has an idea please answer.
Thanks in advance.

danhua76
01-23-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by seb4d
Maybe my question was not clear enough, I'm sorry.

Well, I've got an ATI Radeon 64MO DDR VIVO. What should I do to have a dual monitor configuration on winXP that enables me to output a video at full screen on a tv ? Should I change my ATI for a new model (do they support real dual monitor ?), or should I add a PCI Matrox G450 and keep my ATI on AGP ?

I really need advice, so anyone who has an idea please answer.
Thanks in advance.

let's see if this helps you out. most t.v.'s have a max resolution of 640x480. hdtv goes higher. i'm assuming you have a regular tv like the rest of us.

if you're just outputting video from your computer to your t.v. (to record a demo reel or something), then i would suggest that you just use the video out option with your radeon card. basically what you see on your monitor would be the same thing you see on your tv. except what you see on your tv would be a 640x480 version of whatever resolution you have set on your monitor. to get a one to one ratio, set the resolution of your monitor to 640x480. do what you need to do (record demo reel, animation, what not), and then change your monitor resolution back to what it was.

if you want to use the t.v as a second workspace, you will still be confined to a 640x480 resolution. if it's a second workspace that you want, i would suggest using another monitor that is the same as the one you are currently using.

not sure if this answers your question, but i hope it helps. good luck!

seb4d
01-23-2003, 05:58 PM
Thanks,

but actually what I want to do is to transform my pc to a small video workstation. I want to work with adobe premiere (for example) on my pc's monitor and see in real time and at full screen the premiere's video preview window on my tv so that I can record it to video tape in real time.
The problem is I want a good 3D card for my 3D application, so I want to keep my ATI.

I know it seems complicated, but my teacher showed me a matrox G400 running with a pc's monitor and a tv screen and it works well. I want the same at home .

Hope it's not too confused, my english is not good enough to make complex sentences and precise explanations ;P

danhua76
01-23-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by seb4d
Thanks,

but actually what I want to do is to transform my pc to a small video workstation. I want to work with adobe premiere (for example) on my pc's monitor and see in real time and at full screen the premiere's video preview window on my tv so that I can record it to video tape in real time.
The problem is I want a good 3D card for my 3D application, so I want to keep my ATI.

I know it seems complicated, but my teacher showed me a matrox G400 running with a pc's monitor and a tv screen and it works well. I want the same at home .

Hope it's not too confused, my english is not good enough to make complex sentences and precise explanations ;P

depending on how much 3d work you do, you may just want to invest in the matrox parhelia line of video cards. their 3d abilities are decent, and of course their 2d and multi-monitor configs are excellent. or you may be able to find a pci matrox g450 and install that into your system. you can then output to your tv via the matrox g450 card.

seb4d
01-23-2003, 07:18 PM
Ok, I think I will buy a G450 PCI and add it to my ATI then.

Thanks again !

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.