PDA

View Full Version : Bulky Orcs

Jonathan
01-22-2003, 05:42 PM
I started this creation in SimplyLightwave's forum. Now I am in the texturing stage and I remember questions about texturing in Deep Paint 3D therefore since I will be using my beloved DP3DTW I'll go ahead and start posting progress here. I'll start on it tommorrow but here is the model thus far untextured. :bounce:

http://www.btinternet.com/~jonathan.west3/images/orc.jpg

jackman
01-22-2003, 06:37 PM
hmmmm..... is it orc season ?:p
great work !!

Captain
01-22-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by jackman
hmmmm..... is it orc season ?:p
great work !!

Seems like it doesn't it. Ever since Warcraft 3 and Lord Of The Rings, the world seems obsessed with fantasy dragons orcs and goblins. When the matrix came out, it was all about bullet time, and when Star Wars came out, its all about spaceships. To bad people can't try to enrich the world with something unique. Even if its just a little. Now if this orc is just for modeling practice, I say KUDOS! cause it is indeed impressive! Any other reason seems kinda...um..."bandwagon"

-Captain

leigh
01-22-2003, 11:44 PM
*ahem*
There is nothing wrong with orcs :D

Joril
01-22-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Captain
To bad people can't try to enrich the world with something unique.
-Captain

*Cough*
;)

Jonathan, nice work, to bad he looks so damn much like a Human.

Jonathan
01-22-2003, 11:54 PM
Sorry bout that. I was just having a bit of fun. Well I guess it's back to cel art. :bounce:

Human???? Let me give you a closeup. :)

http://www.btinternet.com/~jonathan.west3/closeup.jpg

toast3d
01-23-2003, 12:06 AM
Great looking work. Go ahead and have a bit of fun! :)

Looking forward to seeing it texured.

regards,
Larry W

jackman
01-23-2003, 10:26 PM
yup...have fun indeed.
dont model something you dont like.....:thumbsup:

Merlin
01-23-2003, 10:42 PM
wonderful mesh work, looks good.

Neal

oracle
01-23-2003, 10:50 PM
Original or not... who cares! This is one fine model. Excellent mesh you got going there :thumbsup:

Jonathan
01-24-2003, 02:17 PM
Well I'm coming to a close with the textures. Not too bad considering all of the trouble I had with the UV maps. I'm satisfied although I would have liked more highlights in the skin but that olive drab is tough to work with. The gray areas are going to be surfaced with sasquatch so there was no need to do anything else. Okay now all that needs to be done is to rig, pose, and composite in the setting and this will be a done deal. :bounce:

http://www.btinternet.com/~jonathan.west3/images/orc_tex.jpg

Rabid pitbull
01-24-2003, 02:38 PM
looking good! now he needs some victims to slaughter! :)

leigh
01-24-2003, 06:10 PM
Hi Jonathan :)

Looking nice, however, I think your textures still need a lot of work :hmm:

- the metal on the armour is way too procedural. Try adding some handpainted maps as well - at the moment, you can instantly see the procedural patterns.

- the skin is too plastic looking and fake. The tricky thing with skin is getting it to look "alive" - SSS helps this, but it's impossible for us unless we bug an SSS plugin.

- the skin also needs a lot more tones in colour. Skin colour is never so constant - you need to add a lot more variations of tone into it.

- the texture on the horns on the helmet doesn't look right. It looks like a planar map that is stretching, although I could be wrong because I haven't seen it closeup. The lines in the texture should also follow the curve of the horns - where the horns curve up, the lines should no longer be horizontal, but should follow the contour accordingly.

- I also think that the horns are a little too shiny.

- the red textures on his gauntlets don't look quite right either. This is probably because it's difficult to ascertain what the substance actually is - is it leather, or metal?

- the leather bits holding his abdomen armour piece need a better bump map, and a bit more colour detail.

- the loin cloth needs some dirt! I doubt that orcs do their laundry very often, chances are that his clothing is going to be very, very grubby!

In terms of the actual model, I also think the face is too human looking. I presume you are going for a Blizzard style orc? You need to make his facial features much more exaggerated.

Also, speaking of the model, you should model some straps for his shoulder armour - there doesn't seem to be anything holding it to his body in any way.

Hope you don't see these crits as a bad thing, I'm just pointing them out so that you can make your textures better! :thumbsup:

Have fun!

Jonathan
01-24-2003, 06:55 PM
No insult taken here Leigh. 4 eyes are better than 2 hehehehehe. I'll jamp on that later, I'm heading to Peterborough. Looks like everyone sees my greatest weakness now. TEXTURES.

(whew thank god for the edit. :)!)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.