PDA

View Full Version : Matte Painting | feedback please ...

everlite
08-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Hey people,

I Received the D'artiste Matte painting book a few days ago and slap me stupied, its a belter!! ballisitic never fail to amaze me with the quality of their books. Really worth buying.

So now i want to be a matte painter (last week i wanted to be a fire man :-) and what you see below is the result of the last two nights burning out the mid night oil.

http://www.thedaveidentity.co.uk/web/new_china_large.jpg

Let me know what you think, this is quite new for me, though something i do have quite strong interest in developing further.

You can also see another recent piece, my Atlantis contest entry:

http://www.thedaveidentity.co.uk/web/atlantis_web.jpg

Click below to see the atlantis thread:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=387495&page=1&pp=15

Let me know what you think, your thoughts really do make a difference.

Cheers - Dave.

everlite
08-05-2006, 01:34 PM
http://www.thedaveidentity.co.uk/web/chinastock1.jpg

Working elements.

sandu22
08-05-2006, 04:11 PM
hi. if you put a lot of dark on the sky, in the right part-first picture-, i guess that the city should have less light too [in that side]. take care to the dropped shodows to, for the front plans especially. good job :thumbsup:

everlite
08-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Hi Sandu, thank you for your feedback. When designing this scene i imagined the light to be above to the left, and the dark clouds are some way in the distance. Take the high light of the building to the right as reference. Though i did screw up in one respect, if the light is high above then the sky would be less red/orange and more blue, mid day.

I need to work on lighting.

How does the composition look? The idea was the ship in the distance is looming towards the city with a hostile intention. I made use of the dark cloud to suggest the coming hostility.

Do the buildings look cohesive?

Cheers - Dave.

Moysh
08-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Hello, great work so far. You sure manage to grasp my attention for a few good seconds.
You already have the composition, the detail and 'almost' have the supreme atmosphere.

These are how I feel and what I think could be done for improvements:

- The color is almost there, I could feel the evening breeze already but I am not engrossed by the epicness of the structures and your magnificent city.
* I think the problem may lie in lack of enough dynamic lightning in your sky. What I mean is that you could expand the range of your color palatte: A more anti-saturate yellow and red to bring out the mood; brightening up the dark patch of cloud to the right as it obscures the focus to your right-most platform; brightening up (and perhaps highlighting) the stormy patch of clouds to the left as it destroys the magnificent of your city (storm is cool just slightly too dark)

- Not enough 'oomph!' for the subjects (ie. the main structure and the city)
* The main structures need slightly more highlights. Your sun is on the lower left. The sun-light should penetrate the glass surface facing there.
* The city is a futuristic one, I would complain about the lack of sky-rise building or to a mild extend, replacing the garden areas of your city to make it looks and feels more pack and busy.
* A minor detail, but I think the platform which the camera sits on deserve to receive a bit more interesting details and objects (other than the lonely marine).

Just my 2 cent. Keep up the great work! You are almost there. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Missed out on your last reply, anyway I don't feel the hostile intension coming from the ship at first, it looks more like a part of the city the ship itself. You should make the smaller ships flying towards us than to it to bring out the feeling "they are coming for us".

everlite
08-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Now THATS what i call feedback! :-) Cheers Moysh, you're a legend. i've really given what you said a lot of thought, and yes in many areas you're quite right.

With regards to the ships, the large ship in the distance looming from the clouds is the agressor while the ships flying over head are the allies heading toward the incoming threat.

You're right about the lighting, there are many issues that i've noticed, the clouds to the right are back lit while the left clouds are front lit and the shadows fall in yet a third direction.

As for the stuctures in the city i was pushing for something that was minimal, pure and perhaps slightly tranquil. maybe more is needed.

Perhaps i should add a few explosion in the air around the incoming ship/sky castle to break up the dark areas of the storm? I'm wondering if my screen might be too bright.

Again you're right, the forground platform is a little lacking.

Overall this was a learning experience, it's the second matte painting i've created and the first of many, for now this piece is finished, though i can feel myself willing to edit further. I've learnt a lot by this piece and the feedback above. Enough to think about with the next project i have in mind.

Please watch this space.

Cheers again - Dave.

rambhat
08-06-2006, 07:38 AM
everlite, these are two very nice paintings! I have a few comments and crits if you don't mind me sharing. I don't know if I'd necessarily make any changes, as these are probably very good learning experiences for you, but perhaps in future mattes, these tips might come into consideration.

In general, regarding the first piece, I think you're trying to show too much. The ships flying towards the larger ship are too distracting and all of their lines of travel tend to conflict with an understood one point perspective. I flipped your first image in photoshop to check a few things and noticed the perspective lines on some of the foreground architecture aren't matching up to your intended horizon. I understand that it is futuristic but I'd say anytime you're doing a matte painting always create a perspective grid to base your entire painting off of. It will serve as a great guide and will make your entire painting very easy to rid of those kinds of errors.

I think the lighting is also a bit misleading. I think for a concept sketch or production painting it would be fine, but if it's matte quality it's a bit harder to believe. Specifically in the first piece, the city in the far background should really be affected by that ominous cloud on the right, yet the brights in the midground city are almost similar in value. In your Atlantis piece, your lighting is great. It feels lit and underwater!

Finally, back on the first piece, really take some time with your sky. The things most people see on a day to day basis are the things they are the quickest to rule if they are believable or not. I can see what you're hinting at with your clouds, but really think about the types of clouds, placement, weather condition, and so on when painting it to depict a scene. Mood and atmosphere are very important and the sky will play a huge part in that.

Other than these things, which I hope helped, I think you're doing some terrific things here. As we're told in art history classes to study the masters, I suggest the same in this case and closely study Mark Cotta Vaz, Dylan Cole, Stoski, Dusso, Alp Altiner, and the many more I'm not mentioning, to see what they're really doing in their mattes. They have an impeccable sense of light, atmostphere, and composition. I think that will come with lots and lots of practice and doing more of these paints you've shown here.

Your Atlantis piece is great; I was frequenting your thread. A personal preference of mine is leave the figures out of your mattes. I feel they aren't needed. Good luck and keep posting your work!

everlite
08-06-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm blessed!, people with really constructive opinions :-)
All points very much taken in and digesting.

The focal point of the scene is the incoming ship/sky castle to the right, at first i felt this was struggling to be seen with the foreground structure been so dominant so i added the ships above left and added smoke trails to the smaller ships to the right. Dont you think they lead the viewer into the right?

Yeah i struggled a little with the perspective of the forground elements. good tips about flipping the image, i sometimes do this to see if things are looking right but i never really understood how you could use this technique to check perspective. You right about the grid, i was been a little lazy thinking i didn't need one, but in restrospect i sure do! :-)

At first the light was coming from above left so i didn't see the cloud effecting too much of the midground city because the shadows would be moving away to the right. Perhaps it does need more shadows in the midground, though i want to keep the right tower in light, would it work to have the shadow coming just up behind it or should it consume the right tower also?

Yep you're right, to be honest this is the second really attempt at creating a matte painting, i recently puchased the Ballisitic Matte painting book and i've been studying that vigurously. I think Cole, Stoski and Altiner are legends with what they do.

And whatever happened to the Atlantis contest? i think they''ve skipped the country :-)

I just took a look though your gallery, really nice work, love the house and windmill. I've just upgraded my account so time to make my own little gallery me think, take a look through :-)

Cheers Ramblat, you're a legend! Watch this space, more to come.

Velarion
08-06-2006, 08:04 PM
I liked the composition and lighting on your works. Especially in this latest work you used the photo elements very balanced and with excellent integration.There are some perpective issues on foreground elements I think but everything that has to be said has been already said in previous posts so I just say well done I'll be looking forward your next paintings:thumbsup:

everlite
08-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Hey thanks Valerion, you're very kind.

Since the Atlantis contest i've begun to make a strong effort to push myself in a positive direction towards learning new skills to inhance and further my career, i'm soaking every piece of information up, studying like hell and analysing the best. Hopefully by the end of the year i will be using these skills in a professional capacity and not just for fun, where there's a will there's a way :-)

Cheers again, has a winner been announced yet for the contest? i have'nt heard anything as yet.

R-K
08-06-2006, 09:50 PM
the building in the middle is bad for composition. It splits the pic in half and viewers eye is not directed across the image anymore. Also I'm not absolutely sure of what that thing is and how it works.. but good compositing technique

everlite
08-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Cheers Ranath.

Yeah i always felt it was a little risky having a structure stuck in the middle, but i feel it still manages to work, only just. Not quite sure what it does myself, probably a transport platform of some kind.
- Dave.

CGTalk Moderation
08-06-2006, 09:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.