PDA

View Full Version : head modelling ref pics?

BenDstraw
08-05-2006, 10:38 AM
alright yes I know of 3d.sk. I donít have a subscription there yet but Iíve used it and I just get lost in the reference and the front and side views never seem to match up.

Iíve heard that you have to line up the side and front views in Photoshop to get it right. I was wondering if there is a set of front and side view references of a human head already lined up and ready to go.

Iím very sorry for asking for a hand out like this but I get very frustrated in that I donít even get close to anything that resembles a head. I think bad ref pics or bad use of them is my problem but I donít know.

alternatively if it wouldnít be a lot to ask if someone could post a link to a tutorial to how to line up the pics or if someone can give me a quick explanation. and any other advice on heads or organics in general would be great and if not thanks for reading.

~BenD

benclark
08-05-2006, 10:19 PM
First of all unless you draw them it is very rare to find good head references that line up perfectly.

First save your 2 references

Open them up in Photoshop

Resize each individual image to the same height (have the constrain proportions option on)

File > New to create a new blank canvas (make it big enough to accomodate the 2 refs)

Hold down Shift and drag each reference onto the canvas with the move tool
Each head will be on an individual layer. Select each one, make sure you hold down shift and slide it to the side so you can see them both

Now CTRL + R to turn on rulers

Decide which of the 2 images will be your master image and drag guide lines for the main features like the top of the skull, eyeline, bottom edge of the chin etc etc

Now select the other image and CTRL + T to transform it so that the guide lines match up with the features. Try and use Shift as much as possible while resizing to keep it in proportion

Once you got it then drag new guidelines to represent to top and bottom of the master image

Now turn snap on, and crop the image you resized so it exactly the same height as the other one. The width doesnt matter

Save the 2 images as individual files

Then get up out your seat and get your victory dance on. Photoshop style boyeeeeeee

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g237/goat987/heads.jpg

maya-3d
08-06-2006, 03:30 AM
Alchemist101what about image distorsion how could we solve this problem i always end up with problems with that :sad:

BenDstraw
08-06-2006, 09:07 AM
thank you very much for the explanation.

benclark
08-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Alchemist101what about image distorsion how could we solve this problem i always end up with problems with that :sad:

Use shift when scaling the second image and it will uniform scale it

Manic Ant
08-06-2006, 03:51 PM
you need to compensate for perspective distortion too.

Fudge
08-06-2006, 07:34 PM
got3d.com is very good, in my opinion unless your serious about anatomy its a better deal than 3d.sk because its free.

maya-3d
08-07-2006, 04:03 AM
perspective distortion thats what i ment :blush:

gyller
08-07-2006, 05:01 AM
got3d.com is very good

Thanks for the tip, just what I was looking for! :thumbsup:

benclark
08-07-2006, 10:15 AM
If I understand what you mean by perspective distortion then I dont know anyway to fix this other than making sure the refernces are good quality, you cant polish a turd

Fudge
08-07-2006, 02:02 PM
photoshop has a good plugin to reduce perspective distortion, but i cannot remember whats it called, check 'Safe05' tutorials he mentions it there

BenDstraw
08-07-2006, 10:16 PM
got3d.com is very good, in my opinion unless your serious about anatomy its a better deal than 3d.sk because its free.

thanks for that. im probaly not informed or educated enough to be serious about anatomy but it will hopefully be a good starting point.

perspective distortion thats what i ment :blush:
a reference like this would be perfect for perspective distortion
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/bendstraw/wireframe0180.jpg

. and also good for topology. its a good head to pratice with its just it seems like nothing lines up but thanks to alchemist i can start lining this baby up. :thumbsup:

raptor|3D
08-09-2006, 04:30 PM
If youīre into drawing, maybe it wouldnīt be a bad idea to draw your own blueprints based on the original photographs and then place the photos somewhere around on top so you could check the model.

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2006, 04:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.