PDA

View Full Version : Next Gen game character modeling specs?

KFrigault
08-04-2006, 06:46 PM
I have a high poly model that I would like to reduce and make into a game model.

1. How many polys can the 360 handle in a main character.

2. What would be the average size of a texture map

3. Do you use a texture map for the whole character or one for the body and one for the head?

Thanks

LauLau
08-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Hehe, that isn't so easy Anne_Maiteur ;).

It depends on the engine you use. Some engines on Xbox 360 can handle 10.000 polygons on a character, others can handle only 2000 per character. It really depens on what for engine your modelling for.

Just try to keep minimal poly's when your modelling a character for use in games, no mather how many the engine can handle.

KFrigault
08-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks LauLau I'll keep that in mind

bandaid
08-04-2006, 08:12 PM
if i were you, i would go by what will be one of the more licensed game engines. seems that unreal engine 3.0 will be used mucho in the coming months/years.

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml

this has stats on everything you could want to know. maps 2048x2048, meshes - 5,000 -15,000 if its a giant single boss, etc. you could also try looking up next gen game engines on a search engine and find out other engines specifications, but any "next-gen" engine should be comparable.

as for the separate texture maps, i would try to fit them all into 1 maps, and if you aren't getting the desired resolution go up from there. i wouldn't surpass 3 maps per character.

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2006, 08:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.