PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card Advice Needed - Pls!

vega
01-22-2003, 03:30 PM
Hello everyone!

I am running max 5 on a relatively good machine - P4 2.4Ghz with 500mb ram. The machine seems to run pretty well but it only has a Nvidia Gforce 4 graphics card.

Could anyone please give me some good advice on a better graphics card. Something dedicated to 3d. I have been told the "Gloria" cards are good but have not had any experience of them.

Ideally i would like the card to increase the "work views" as well as my rendering time - the new light tracer in max 5 really slows things down.

I am probably looking for a card to be priced between 500 - 1000.

any help is much appreciated

thanks Gary

GregHess
01-22-2003, 03:53 PM
Geforce 4 Ti cards are widely accepted as quite possibly the best 3dsmax card. Instead of spending a huge amount of money for little if any performance increase, try and optimize the accelerator you already have.

Here's some tips.

http://www.3dluvr.com/content/article/104

Remember key components of accelerator performance.

1) Most stable current drivers.

2) Patched App version.

3) Latest AGP drivers for your motherboard.

4) Updated OS (Sp2 for Win2k, SP1 for XP)

5) Make sure the graphics card is firmly in the AGP Slot. Sometimes a loose card will still function, but at significantly lower performance.

You can also investigate softquadro'in your video card to make it nearly equivilant to a Quadro4...without spending any money.

Gyan
01-22-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by GregHess
Geforce 4 Ti cards are widely accepted as quite possibly the best 3dsmax card. Instead of spending a huge amount of money for little if any performance increase, try and optimize the accelerator you already have.

I don't think he mentioned that his Geforce4 was a Ti

GregHess
01-22-2003, 09:39 PM
I'm assuming its a geforce 4 ti...if its an MX then he's just screwed. Heh.

Note: Screwed as in the optimization tips won't help much. :)

Gyan
01-22-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by GregHess
I'm assuming its a geforce 4 ti...if its an MX then he's just screwed. Heh.

Not with a budget of 1000 pounds.

vega
01-23-2003, 10:39 AM
hi,

the Nvidia i have IS the MX card. thats why im looking for an alternate one.

i'll go and have a read up on the wild cat & quadro cards.

thanks again for the pointing me in the right diretion

Gary

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.