PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive

squeige
01-22-2003, 02:52 PM
quick question, I have a 133 ata hard drive in my workstation, would it be ok to install an extra ide hard drive to the smae cable and would it slow down my machine??

danhua76
01-22-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by squeige
quick question, I have a 133 ata hard drive in my workstation, would it be ok to install an extra ide hard drive to the smae cable and would it slow down my machine??

yes it would be ok to install another ide hard drive to the same cable if that second channel is free. just make sure you have that drive jumper set as slave or else you will get some drive conflicts during boot up. i do know that the ata133 spec is backwards compatible with slower ide drives, but i'm not sure what would happen to performance if you mix two different ide (ata100 and ata133) drives on the primary ide connector. i'm guessing it wouldn't affect performance much, but i could be wrong.

in anycase, most drives today are of the ata133 standard. so if you're buying a new drive, i don't think you would have to worry much.

singularity2006
01-23-2003, 06:48 AM
it gets weird iff (meaning if and only if), both hard drives are constantly accessed like MAD. But i don't think anyone taxes their system that much... most people won't notice.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.