PDA

View Full Version : Shader Instancing

affagobf
08-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Our Reference Shader is now also available as Demo version.
With this plugin you can easily make several instances of a specific Shader in different Channels (and Materials / Layershaders).

you can download it from

www.blackstar-solutions.de (http://www.blackstar-solutions.de)

jsls
08-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Very cool, huge time saver!!! :thumbsup:

Rich-Art
08-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Looking good this is a great time saver.. :bounce:

Peace,
Rich-Art. :thumbsup:

[T]
08-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Very cool !!!

rodney71
08-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Extra cool. don't have to wait for a shader tree system to get that feature now...except the download links on your site don't work at the moment.

affagobf
08-30-2006, 07:36 AM
uh, you are right,
links were down, i corrected them

www.blackstar-solutions.de

robotbob
08-30-2006, 04:49 PM
this is great - thanks very much

AdamT
08-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Well done!! My order is in!

Rich-Art
08-30-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks, Tomorrow I will send the order as well.

Peace,

chikega
08-30-2006, 07:04 PM
This is very cool - but you know, this is one of the main strengths of having nodal-based shader flow - one shader node driving several different things at the same time and having the changes permeate. When will C4d have this other than through FR? :)

AdamT
08-30-2006, 07:14 PM
This is very cool - but you know, this is one of the main strengths of having nodal-based shader flow - one shader node driving several different things at the same time and having the changes permeate. When will C4d have this other than through FR? :)
Don't know when we'll get TTs but in some ways this is a more convenient system. You don't have to create every node from scratch.

Rich-Art
08-31-2006, 11:26 AM
I just received my copie. This works great...
I have 1 question do, if you use this shader in the Displacement channel, the shader is not a gray scale but an exact copy of the source shader.(of cours)
Does C4D transform the colors, in the displacement channel, internal to a grayscale??

Peace,

AdamT
08-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Does C4D transform the colors, in the displacement channel, internal to a grayscale??
Depends on the type of displacement you select, e.g., Intensity (only brightness values considered), Red/Green, RGB, etc.

Rich-Art
08-31-2006, 01:55 PM
Argg Yes of course, I forgot the RGB. most of the time I use only the intensity or intensity centered.
But there are more options than that..

Thanks for the reply.

Peace,

AdamT
08-31-2006, 02:39 PM
Just got my registered copy. This plugin ROCKS! :bounce: :applause:

Never being satisfied, however, I do have a few requests:

1. Please make the "Select a Shader" window resizeable. This would make it more useful for studying complex shaders (and make it easier to find the component you're looking for);

2. Bake scene utility: it would be great if there was a utility plugin to transform all reference shaders in a scene. This would be most welcome in the event that you have to share a file with someone who doesn't have the plugin. Sometimes I have 50 or more materials in a scene and it could be a pita to go through them all in order to find the ones with reference shaders in them.

Rich-Art
08-31-2006, 02:44 PM
Yes that would be a nice addition to the plugin..
But it works great as it is now. Very handy......:bounce:

Peace,

JoelOtron
08-31-2006, 03:51 PM
This looks very cool indeed.

Looking forward to seeing what those other 2 plugins are on the site.

moka.studio
08-31-2006, 04:37 PM
nice.
also on a the theme shaders, there was a small utlity posted that allows for a very rudimentary tree view in C4d
http://www.3d-worxx.com/files/Treeview_v1_0.zip

moka.studio
08-31-2006, 04:39 PM

True, but what is nice in this little plugin, compared to the FR implementation for exemple, is that it is easy to referance shaders across materials, while this is more tricky with the Fr shader tree ( requires an Xpresso 'bridge').

chromecity
08-31-2006, 08:53 PM
Just got my registered copy. This plugin ROCKS! :bounce: :applause:

Never being satisfied, however, I do have a few requests:

1. Please make the "Select a Shader" window resizeable. This would make it more useful for studying complex shaders (and make it easier to find the component you're looking for);

2. Bake scene utility: it would be great if there was a utility plugin to transform all reference shaders in a scene. This would be most welcome in the event that you have to share a file with someone who doesn't have the plugin. Sometimes I have 50 or more materials in a scene and it could be a pita to go through them all in order to find the ones with reference shaders in them.I've been waiting for something like this. Nice job.:thumbsup:

My order is placed - and I definitely concur with both of Adam's requests.

rodney71
09-01-2006, 12:55 AM
joining the bandwagon. payment sent.
just realized that the paypal page asked for c4d serial as I was clicking the pay now button. can I send it to you by email?

affagobf
09-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks for your replies.
We'll think about your suggestions, feel free to post more comments and suggestions on our plugin.
Would be nice to see some examples of weird shaders built with it :)

@rodney71: yes, we got your mail, you should receive your version soon.

robodesign
09-01-2006, 10:48 AM
wow!
Sounds awesome! Gotta test the demo. Congratulations for the first truely incredible C4D plugin. It is awesome man!

kromekat
09-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Excellent!! - needed this forever! ;)

Order is in.

Adam

chromecity
09-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Do we always have to transform the referenced shaders to use this with C4D Net? If that were indeed so, this becomes much less useful to me. This sort of referencing is a professional-level feature that is missing from C4D. But if this solution does not work with C4D Net, then it loses its professional-level status in my book.

In case I'm just doing something wrong, here's what I've encountered...

Not surprisingly, trying to net render a scene that utilizes the Reference Shader without installing the plugin in the C4D Net client's plugins folder is not a workable situation. It just causes the scene not to render. The C4D Net client logs a couple messages about Reference Shader being a missing plugin and no frames ever render.

So I installed the Reference Shader into a C4D Net client's plugins folder. Now when I launch the C4D Net client, since the Reference Shader plugin is installed, it pops the little dialog that asks for the serial number. Entering the serial number from my purchased version just causes it to say it's an invalid serial number. If I don't enter a valid serial number, then scenes that utilize the Reference Shader still log the messages about the missing plugin and do not render any frames.

If this plugin is expected to work with C4D Net, please explain how to do it properly. Thanks.

AdamT
09-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Gulp! That's no so good. As a workaround I guess you can keep separate reference shader and converted versions of files, but that's not a very good workflow.

chromecity
09-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Even if there will eventually be a bulk transform facility, I'm not sure I'd want to have to constantly make transformed copies of each version of every scene file that I pump out for rendering on the farm.

And since there is no bulk transform functionality at present, doing that sort of hunt-and-peck transformation is as much work as copying channels would be without this plug-in. Kind of defeats its own purpose if you have to do all that. :sad:

So I hope it either already works with C4D Net in some way that I haven't yet figured out, or else I hope they can make it work with C4D Net - and not in some way where clients require separate licenses. For me, that would make it both too expensive and too tedious to maintain.

Let's hope they can patch this one issue and turn it back into the time-saver it's meant to be. :)

JeremyW
09-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Anyone able to get it to work in R8.5?
I just got my copy of the plug, installed it in the plug folder. When I lanched C4D, it asked for the RefShader serial, which I entered. However, it is not showing up in my shader menu.

affagobf
09-02-2006, 12:41 PM
@JeremyW: i sent you a mail. didnŽt realize you were having 8.5.

@all: the Net render thing is sth. i have to investigate. it shuld surely be possible. iŽll get back to you on monday with news.

greetings to all of you

chromecity
09-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Thanks for your input - I definitely appreciate that you're looking into the Net render aspect.

tcastudios
09-02-2006, 11:20 PM
@all: the Net render thing is sth. i have to investigate. it shuld surely be possible. iŽll get back to you on monday with news.

May I suggest having no serial for NET. There are a few other plugins that have different
serials for NET (for no particular reason)and it is a big hassle.
Most plugins are "worthless" if installed for NET, since you can't do anything (editing and such)but render.
To my knowledge it is only StormTracer that have a extra fee for the NET version, but it is clearly stated.
So basically, have a serial for the Main app only.

Cheers
Lennart

chromecity
09-02-2006, 11:41 PM
I totally agree with Lennart.

chris_b
09-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Yup...
Without Net, I have no use for it either.

affagobf
09-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi all,
we solved the Net Render issue,
you should receive an Email with the patched version.

So by now Reference Shader also supports Net Render :)
There is no further fee for this release, so just overwrite your old files.

Have fun with it, and keep on commenting :)

greetings

Rich-Art
09-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Great news, thanks for the update....

Peace,

chromecity
09-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Now we're talking. :bounce:

Admittedly, I only ran it through a fairly simple test, but the update seems to work fine here.

Thanks for the super-fast retrofit. :thumbsup:

chromecity
09-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Uh-oh. :shrug: Just when I wanted to start putting this to use, I got benched again. I'm working on a moderate complexity scene with 30 materials. If I try to add a Reference Shader in any channel of a material and then press the Select button to pick the source shader, it just hangs C4D, presumably indefinitely. The Reference Shader dialog with the tree-display of all the existing materials and their channel-shaders never shows up at all. If I click anywhere else, I get the "(Not Responding)" text appended in the title bar of the app (WinXP). I've let it sit for about 15 minutes and it still never came out of its funk.

Since I have not encountered this with simpler scenes, my initial guess is that it may have something to do with the number of materials or material channel shaders in the scene. Or maybe there's a particular channel shader that is in use in the scene which is causing the problem. Unfortunately, this is a client scene that I cannot share. (If I had time, I'd start paring down that scene methodically to try to locate a particular material or material channel shader that might be a culprit. Unfortunately, I don't have that sort of time right now with multiple deadlines looming).

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Alternately, has anyone else tried this with a fairly large scene (lots of materials) without encountering this issue? AdamT?

kromekat
09-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Yes - that happened to me on my first and only try with the plugin so far - I am on a tight deadline, so have had to stick with the manual copy/paste of channels for now. :/

Same problem - went to select, and Cinema just stopped responding.

Adam

Rich-Art
09-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Same over here.
A couple of materials is no problem.
But if there are a lot of materials the refshader will freeze C4D complete.

Peace,

affagobf
09-06-2006, 10:54 AM
uhh, yes you are right.
But we found the problem, you'll get a mail about this.

anyone else who has this problem please contact us.

thanks, and sorry for this

Rich-Art
09-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Ok great news..

Thank you and I will wait on the email..

Peace,

rodney71
09-06-2006, 07:56 PM
haven't seen an email with the update yet. was this sent to all owners of the plugin or only upon request?

Rich-Art
09-06-2006, 07:59 PM
I got it this afternoon. And it works great now.

Peace,

kromekat
09-06-2006, 08:32 PM
I got it this afternoon. And it works great now.

Peace,

Yep me too - seems fine on a low mat scene - will try it on a busy one later! ;)

Very fast update guys - I am impressed!

Adam

AdamT
09-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Hmm, no update here. Are they only sending it to people who complained?

kromekat
09-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Hmm, no update here. Are they only sending it to people who complained?

Lol - I suppose that's possible!? :eek:

Adam

AdamT
09-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Okay, I'm officially complaining then. :)

chromecity
09-06-2006, 09:28 PM
As a chief complainer :D, er tester, I'm glad to say the update works here. Thanks for the quick fix, Andre. Now if you can send it to everyone else (complainers or not), that should calm the masses. :)

Mallard
09-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Okay, as there are obviously more users encountering this problem i just sent the patch to everyone. Enjoy :)

Regards,
-Andre

CGTalk Moderation
09-07-2006, 09:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.