PDA

View Full Version : How to convert Poly and Nurbs to Subd?

NamelessWShadow
08-04-2006, 06:13 AM
i keep going through a bunch of tutorials and for some reason none of them cover how to actually go about converting a poly or nurb model into a subd. @_@ i would really like to learn more about subd's but i cant if i cant even convert anything! sorry but can anyone please answer my questiong , thank you.

raptor|3D
08-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Hi,
I suppose you use Maya.

For converting polygons to subDs select the polygonal object and go to:

Modify > Convert > Polygons to Subdiv > option box

Adjust Maximum Base Mesh Faces depending on your polycount.

For more detailed explanation of the options in option box go to Help (in the option box menu) and then click on Help on Convert …

Hit Create.

Numeric keyboards 1, 2, 3 set the smoothness level in viewport.

When you want to convert back to polys go to:

Modify > Convert > Subdiv to Polygons > option box

If you want your poly model to have identical geometry as subD control cage after convertion use Tessellation Method: Vertices and Level 0. This will preserve vertices position and itīs actually safe and accurate way of conversion. However sometimes you may want to convert with other setup - again see Help for details.

You can convert another types of geometry pretty much the similar way, however convertions between some types may be quite tricky. I suggest you look at that info in manual/help.

I use this script for very quick convertions between subDs and polys - it acts as toggle: http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downl.../misc/1131.html I have mapped this to marking menu, so itīs quick.

CGTalk Moderation
08-06-2006, 08:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.