PDA

View Full Version : Can EI take advantage of dual core proc?

Martin Kay
08-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Ok, I've bitten the bullet and ordered an upgrade to 6.5 after a few years of not using EI.
My last version was 3. Does EI take advantage of dual core processors?
I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the Konceptione stuff.

Martin K

Vizfizz
08-03-2006, 11:13 PM
EI will take advantage of dual processors through Renderama. Single renderings can be striped against 2 processors or each processor can handle its own job.

juanxer
08-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Apparently, this technique of running multiple Cameras at once is far more efficient at taking advantage of multiple processors than a multithreaded Camera would ever be.

Martin Kay
08-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Apparently, this technique of running multiple Cameras at once is far more efficient at taking advantage of multiple processors than a multithreaded Camera would ever be.

Does this mean that dual core processors don't run to their full efficiency?

Martin K

matthoff
08-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Dual core processors are treated as two separate processors by Renderama.

juanxer
08-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Does this mean that dual core processors don't run to their full efficiency?

I think it rather relates to the difficulties of programming a really efficient multiprocessing app. It seems it is better to have two Camera apps each one dealing with a different animation frame using as much processor power as they can than having a multiprocessing Camera somehow dividing a frame job into several processes assignable to different processors. I seem to remember some tests that gave EIAS' approach a really high percentage of increased performance per added processor compared to other 3D apps out there. Of course, the sad part is that we cannot benefit from multiprocessing when producing single frame previews and finals.

evant
08-05-2006, 06:51 PM
has anyone done a tutorial on how to set up renderama on a dual so 2 cameras are running? last time i tried it, it kept failing.

evan

gdogfunk
08-06-2006, 05:57 PM
The way I set up multiple render slaves on a multi-processor machine is the following:

1) Create a folder called 'Slave1' and copy the EI sockets, EI shaders, and EI resources folders, Renderama Slave, and Camera apps to this new folder.

2) Launch camera from this new slave folder and set your memory preferences.

3) Duplicate the 'Slave1' folder and rename 'Slave2'.

4) Launch the Renderama Slave app from the second folder and choose a different port number...something like 1617. I usually just increment my port numbers...1616, 1617, 1618, 1619, etc...

5) If you want autostarting slaves on OSX, you need to add the Renderama Slave apps under your 'Accounts' settings under the Users in the system prefs...On the PC, you just add an alias to the startup folder for each Renderama Slave app under the Docs and Settings folder in Windows Explorer.

6) In Renderama, add your new IPs to the list...192.168.1.201:1616, 192.168.1.201:1617...etc.

Oh...and if you are doing this on the PC, I found I had to rename the Renderama Slave app in the second folder to Renderama Slave2, as well as the other resource file so Windows see 2 different apps.

Also remember that you need to have all plugins on each of the slaves for the appropriate operating system. Some plugs are not net render friendly and others have certain setup parameters....you'll have to look at any thir-party docs to see if this applies in your case.

I also set my PC that aren't hooked up to monitors to just obtain the IP manually and I tell it what IP to be...that way the slave list never changes and I know which slave is which if any have errors.

There might be better ways to do this, but this is how I setup my farm in my office.

Hope this helps!

Ryan

matthoff
08-06-2006, 06:13 PM
"1) Create a folder called 'Slave1' and copy the EI sockets, EI shaders, and EI resources folders, Renderama Slave, and Camera apps to this new folder. "

Also make sure you copy the EI Shared Memory Lib.bundle file.
Make sure the new folder isn't a subfolder of the main EI folder.

halfworld
08-06-2006, 08:06 PM
he sad part is that we cannot benefit from multiprocessing when producing single frame ... finals.

Oh yes we can :)

Just split the frame into two strips.

So far as the speed equation goes, Multi-thread render engines aquire a 20-40% speed increase per processor, the EI system of separating the processors can return a speed increase of double that (80% is not uncommon). EI did claim a full 100% increase is possible when using the second processor on a DP machine, but I've never seen an increase quite that large.

Ian

Martin Kay
08-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the feed back.

Martin K

A.C. Farley
08-07-2006, 02:12 AM
Hi All,

On Mac you can use machine names instead of numerical addressing.

Like this... Say my Mac is named 'Booger'. After satrting up all the slaves... Open Renderama and enter...

Booger.local:1616

...for a dual proc Mac I'd make two entries in Renderama

Booger.local:1616
Booger.local:1617

I love Renderama for distributing stills but it's dropping frames on animations when I use it. Anyone know what's going on to cause this?

CGTalk Moderation
08-07-2006, 02:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.