PDA

View Full Version : Lining up verts

pixlmonk
08-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Hi everyone,

Just finished up Gnomon's excellent Head and Body Modeling for Games series taught by Mayan Escalante. Worth every penny spent!

I did have an operational question though. During the tutorials, I noticed that several times Mayan ended up doing the following: He would highlight a couple of verts that he wanted to line up. Then he would highlight a third vertex and do some keyboard command which would cause the other two verts to line up, orienting themselves perfectly in a row based on the position of that third vertex.

Anyone know the command how to do this? I've tried searching the options in the Move
command, but nothing so far.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PM

benclark
08-04-2006, 09:56 AM
You can line up individual verts by holding down V when you move them. If you move them on one axis then you can line up points that way. I have no idea how he does it with multiple points at the same time though - I usually just line up the points one by one

goleafsgo
08-04-2006, 03:33 PM
1. Select a bunch of verts.

2. Hold down the "w" key and LMB.

3. In the marking menu that should pop up turn off the "Keep Spacing" option.

4. Click on one of the handles of the move tool that you want to align along.

5. While holding down the "v" key, for vert snapping, MMB click on something else.

6. The verts should all align along that axis.

Make sure you turn back on "Keep Spacing" or the next time you snap you will end up with all verts at the same place.

pixlmonk
08-04-2006, 10:06 PM
1. Select a bunch of verts.

2. Hold down the "w" key and LMB.

3. In the marking menu that should pop up turn off the "Keep Spacing" option.

4. Click on one of the handles of the move tool that you want to align along.

5. While holding down the "v" key, for vert snapping, MMB click on something else.

6. The verts should all align along that axis.

Make sure you turn back on "Keep Spacing" or the next time you snap you will end up with all verts at the same place.

Wow! An answer straight from someone at Autodesk! Thanks Tim! I'll give it a go tonight when I get home from work.

PM

pixlmonk
08-05-2006, 02:41 AM
Hey Tim,

Works great! Thank you!

PM

raptor|3D
08-05-2006, 03:40 PM
While the method described above is certainly quick, in some cases I also find useful another method: "steal" (copy) [desired axis] coordinates from the target vertex for the vertices you want to align via Component editor - see my attachment (sorry for the not so good quality of the video).

phantomworkshop
08-05-2006, 04:48 PM
I believe in Mayan Escalante's Character Modeling for Games, he uses the Average Vertices Command, which can be found under Polygons > Average Vertices. :) hope that was helpful.

raptor|3D
08-05-2006, 05:29 PM
I believe in Mayan Escalante's Character Modeling for Games, he uses the Average Vertices Command, which can be found under Polygons > Average Vertices. :) hope that was helpful.

Average vetices is very cool feature. However I doubt that it can be used for aligning verts (before e.g. mirroring). 1, The vetices never reach the same X/Y/Z coordinates of the surrounding vertices, they always land half way from the surrounding ones, they get closer and closer and it can seem that they´re on the same level as others but they always keep some distance inbetween, so your vertices wouldn´t be perfectly aligned. 2, Correct me if I´m wrong but I think average vetices can´t be limited to individual axis

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2006, 05:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.